Alison Sweeney Gives Back

Most of us know Alison Sweeney as an actress, author and host of NBC's "The Biggest Loser." But she's also a mom who's very concerned about sustaining a healthy life for her family.

Alison Sweeney
Now, she's taking big strides in bringing that principle to the public. Sweeney is teaming up with Crest® Pro-Health™ Sensitive Shield™ Toothpaste in the aptly titled "Summer of Sensitivity" campaign, wherein for every tube of this toothpaste sold from now through September, Crest will give 10 cents to Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity.

We sat down with Alison to talk about her new role as a philanthropic spokeswoman, her tips for healthy living and the things that keep her going as a busy mom.

momlogic: First off, you look great! What are some key fitness and beauty tips that you live by?

Alison Sweeney:Well, my number-one beauty tip is always SUNSCREEN. Even on hazy days -- that's when you can get burned the worst, 'cause you're not feeling it! With fitness, you have to find things that will keep you coming back for more -- a class you really like; working out with a friend -- things that motivate you and make you accountable to actually do it! I've written a whole book about it that will be out in January, called "The Mommy Diet."

ml: How do you teach your children about what true beauty is?

AS:
Wow, what a tough subject! But you're right -- it is good to start young. I think we started with our dogs -- we have rescues, and Winky, our Boston terrier, only has one eye. Instead of getting a "beautiful" dog, we love and treasure Winky because of her imperfections, and we talk a lot about how important it is to care for others and be aware of their feelings.

ml: You're a busy lady! How do you balance your work life and your family life?

AS:It is so difficult to balance everything and not feel like something is bound to get the short end of the stick. Believe me, I'm always weighing out my choices, trying to make sure my career gets my attention, and that when I'm with my kids, they have my attention. And ultimately, that's the best we can do! I work hard all day, and focus on my shows when I'm there, or my development projects when I'm there, but when I'm with my family, I put the BlackBerry down and give them my attention.

ml: Volunteering in the community is big for you. How has it affected your life?

AS:I am so proud to be associated with some fabulous organizations. I love the work I do with Feeding America, as well as the MDA and others. It is so important to give back to your community, to make a difference. I always say I'm so proud of "Biggest Loser" because we are trying to be part of the solution to obesity in America, and I feel that reflects sort of my motto in my life. I always strive to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I think I stole that from my dad.

ml: Tell us about your involvement with Feeding America -- homelessness and hunger is a huge issue in our nation.

AS:This summer, as part of the Summer of Sensitivity campaign, Crest® Pro-Health™ Sensitive Shield™ is partnering with Feeding America. As part of the promotion, consumers are encouraged to "trade up" their sensitivity toothpaste for Crest Pro-Health. In fact, for every tube of toothpaste purchased between July 1, 2010 and September 1, 2010, Crest will donate 10 cents to Feeding America -- with a guaranteed minimum donation of $100,000 -- to support the fight against hunger. I believe that proper nutrition and good oral care should never be compromised, and I am thrilled to be a part of this program.

ml: Lots of celebs are involved in feeding the hungry. Why do you think they are drawn to it?

AS:I was shocked when I heard the statistics of who and how many are [going hungry] in this country. Having enough food on the table is just something I've always taken for granted, and I'm embarrassed to admit that now, knowing what I know about how many hardworking people -- especially kids -- in this country, in my neighborhood, are in food-unstable homes. I think a lot of celebs are happy to work with Feeding America, because we know that they do everything they can to make sure the money is going directly to fighting the problem, towards helping the people who need it, and that makes us confident when asking for support from our fans.

ml: How can we get involved and teach our kids about giving?

AS: It's SO important to teach our children about the importance of giving. That's one of the reasons why I was thrilled to partner with Crest for the Summer of Sensitivity campaign. Crest makes it extremely accessible for people to get involved and help feed more than 37 million Americans in local communities across the country. By simply purchasing a tube of toothpaste, we can support the fight against hunger. As a mother, it's important that I instill good values in my children, and sometimes the simplest acts can make a significant difference in another person's life.

next: Three, Two, One ... Meltdown!
Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 24, 2011, 3:13 AM

I like it! Greetings! Things you brought up a lot of sense.

Bodybuilding Tips January 29, 2011, 8:44 AM

To be perfectly honest i think the vast majority of people will agree with this, but you always get some people who will disagree.

Arron Sportsman February 1, 2011, 8:29 AM

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Innova Dog Food Review February 5, 2011, 9:29 PM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

Stewart Sanderford February 6, 2011, 8:42 AM

I have been reading out some of your stories and i can claim pretty good stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your site.

Praca Bielsko Biała February 6, 2011, 6:45 PM

Thank you for another fantastic post. Where else could anyone get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.

Lajuana Lauerman February 6, 2011, 10:24 PM

Use “onecentcoupons” Hostgator voucher code to get $9.94 OFF the hosting terms. Upright participate the promo code while ordination.

Cheryll Geurts February 7, 2011, 6:54 AM

Use “onecentcoupons” Hostgator coupon code to get $9.94 OFF the hosting value. Honorable begin the promo write piece visit.

quick weight loss February 10, 2011, 12:11 PM

This is a interesting article. I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Check us out if you are interested in dietary and health issues.

How To Get Backlinks February 12, 2011, 5:25 AM

This post is great. Thank you for this post. I like this type of people who share knowledge with others.

Build Backlinks February 12, 2011, 5:22 PM

Now i know, thanks for the info, I value your opinion alot more.:)

Anisa Savinar February 13, 2011, 5:29 AM

I needed to thank you for this superb study!! I absolutely appreciated each and every small bit of it. I’ve you bookmarked your internet site to check out the new things you post.

gry ubieranki February 14, 2011, 12:10 PM

Good job, thanks for postin this.

Derrick Going February 14, 2011, 6:44 PM

Great weblog here..better half got me hooked on promo codes and coupons :) Just got started on Dealstop.net today….

building games February 20, 2011, 1:24 PM

I was on the lookout for this data online, and I’m glad to have discovered it. I hope you don’t care that I refer to this specific site in my website?

Steel Pipe February 21, 2011, 10:57 PM

Thanks for sharing!!!

Outside Your Body Lyrics February 23, 2011, 7:50 PM

I truly wanted to send a remark so as to thank you for these remarkable steps you are showing on this website. My extended internet lookup has now been rewarded with good content to talk about with my family members. I would repeat that most of us readers actually are very much lucky to dwell in a very good place with so many lovely individuals with great solutions. I feel very much lucky to have seen the web page and look forward to many more excellent minutes reading here. Thanks a lot again for everything.

Valve Check February 24, 2011, 9:38 AM

Thank you for sharing, I like you post very much.

Ball Valve February 24, 2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for sharing!!!

Check Valve February 25, 2011, 7:27 AM

Thank you for sharing, I like you post very much.