Are Trampolines Always Dangerous?

Guest blogger Julie W.: When a friend's daughter suffered a broken ankle on a trampoline, I thought, "Should I take my kids off for good?"

trampoline_is_dangerous270x270.jpg

Last week, my friend's 9-year-old daughter got severely injured on a trampoline. A much larger boy accidentally fell on her, and all the kids immediately knew she was badly hurt. Her foot was so broken, it was flopped over in what her parents describe as "an S-shape." I have been too squeamish to look at the photo they took of it.

Emergency-room doctors say they see many trampoline-related injuries. But should we moms keepour kidsaway from the bouncy fun?Pediatrician and momlogic friend Dr. Gwenn gives us her take on the dangers of backyard trampolines:

"It never fails," she says. "In fact, not only can I count on this, so can you: Two kids plus one backyard trampoline equals injury.The injury can be mild to major and can involve one or more kids, but it WILL happen -- and often includes sprains, contusions, lacerations, head traumas, spinal traumas, dislocations, bumps, bruises and concussions. Safety nets don't prevent these from happening; they just prevent your kids from getting injured on the ground.

"You may think that most sound parents, including ourselves, would be swayed by the reams of data that support the dangers of trampolines, and keep their kids off," continues Dr. Gwenn. "But more times than not, I hear parents say, 'What can I do? She/he just loves it so much!' This is usually mentioned to me during an evaluation for an injury, by the way. Now do you see why I'm worried?

"Bouncing is fun, but it is impossible to bounce in total control," Dr. Gwenn adds. "Three rules come into play that I can always count on. These rules, while based in science, are my own creation and come from years of treating kids with similar injuries from bouncing: 1)Whoever goes up ... must come down. 2)The bigger you are, the harder you fall. 3)If there is something that can cause hidden harm ... it will.Part of the issue with backyard trampolines is that the actual rules are hardly ever followed." (Dr. Gwenn recommends that readers click on thislinkto read up on some typicalbackyard-trampoline rules.)

After seeing what happened to our little friend, I am tempted to tell my kids they are never allowed to play on trampolines. I can't see how the fun is worth the risk.

As a mom, are you tempted to bend therules?

next: Jumpstart Your Morning with a Healthy Breakfast
Grace  August 31, 2010, 11:33 PM

Remember that its not only fun for the kids but also EXERCISE which american children are not getting nearly enough of. I would rather my four kids hurt themselves outside on the trampoline exercising and playing together then be safe inside watching TV!

Rebecca September 2, 2010, 4:23 PM

My husband’s worst childhood injury was from riding a bike. Mine was from horseback riding. Life is risky. You have the weigh the risks honestly. For the record, my very worst, life-changing injury was from stepping on a uneven spot waking through a parking lot.

Personally, I wouldn’t allow my kids to play on a trampoline with a classroom full of kids, but one or two familiar kids wouldn’t bother me.

Jane Davine September 7, 2010, 11:29 PM

For some reason only portion of the post is being viewed, is it my web browser or the internet website?

George  October 28, 2010, 10:04 PM

Trampoline is dangerous, yes, but how many injuries happen on bike, football very year. Trampoline is new to public compared to those traditional sports. Pads, nets and anchor kits are important and necessary to provide basic protection for kids. Supervision and responsible use are important too. On the other hand it is great example to teach kids responsibility and safety awareness.

George from lifespantrampolines.com.au

Best Hair Color For Hazel Eyes November 25, 2010, 12:47 AM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 3:32 PM

I’m not such an expert when it comes to this. Useful read, appreciate your posting this.

Pressure Treated Lumber Prices December 12, 2010, 12:02 AM

Sometimes people are layered like that. There’s something totally different underneath than what’s on the surface. But sometimes, there’s a third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top surface one. Like with pie.

Harrison Lorick December 14, 2010, 2:49 AM

It was really high quality stuff. In theory I’d like to write something like this too - taking time and real effort to make a precious article.

Tawna Beverley December 15, 2010, 11:02 PM

a lot of thanks for another necessary article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing?

cheap thomas sabo charms sale December 20, 2010, 4:30 PM

You raise many queries in my thoughts; you wrote an excellent article, but this articlee is also thought provoking, and I am going to need to ponder it a bit more; I will be back soon.

Junie Polumbo December 21, 2010, 10:32 AM

I am sure that your article will prove more than you manage to think Good luck with writting

kursus makeup 2012 malaysia December 22, 2010, 4:50 AM

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.

Jewel Gollman December 23, 2010, 12:24 PM

great to find out your blog during this week.

Jean Floyd December 29, 2010, 2:54 AM

Good work there. your blog RSS.

Premium WordPress Themes January 2, 2011, 10:04 AM

Please, keep up the good work and continue to post topics like this. I am really fan of your page!

cura slabire January 4, 2011, 5:15 AM

I have beeing scouring the WWW for this info and just wanted to thank u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Breast enlargement without surgery January 8, 2011, 7:44 PM

There’s noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

HostNine Review January 9, 2011, 6:03 AM

Keep functioning ,terrific job!

Belgrade January 14, 2011, 6:24 AM

Great post, thank you. I just signed up to your rss feed!

federal income tax rates 2011 us January 22, 2011, 12:25 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.