Chocolate Milk: Yay or Nay?

momlogic's Vivian:Like many parents, I've found that trying to get my kids to drink regular milk is an exercise in futility. It's not that they don't like it, it's just that they don't like it with anything but cookies -- and I refuse to endure two kids on an endless sugar high in the name of good parenting through an upped calcium intake.

Chocolate Milk

However, what has worked in enticing them toward the moo juice is the eternal wonder that is chocolate milk. THIS they can't get enough of. But I can't help but wonder: Does all that cocoa taint the pure milk goodness?

I did some cruising online and came across this Parade article that asks -- and answers -- the same question, because apparently, many folks are engaged in the very same debate.

The State of Florida, for example, has recently debated banning chocolate milk in an effort to curb the widespread obesity epidemic there among children (an estimated 32 percent of Florida kids aged 10 to 17 are considered overweight). Considering it's estimated that 75 percent of the milk Floridian kids drink is likely chocolate, and that eight ounces of .5-percent chocolate milk yields 150 calories/26 grams of sugar, while the same amount of fat-free milk has 90 calories/12 grams of sugar and eight ounces of 1-percent milk has 110 calories/12 grams of sugar, it's easy to think that a ban on the choco goodness might help things along.

However, the Parade article also mentions a study cited in a WebMD post from the University of Connecticut, which showed that fat-free chocolate milk is a WAY better choice than a sports drink when it comes to helping runners rebuild and refuel their muscles after exercise. Post-exercise biopsies of study participants found that chocolate-milk gluggers showed increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis and a higher amount of glycogen, or muscle fuel, than the sports-drink chuggers.

"[Fat-free chocolate milk is] not just a dessert item, it's very healthy -- especially for endurance athletes," exercise scientist William Lunn, Ph.D., told WebMD.

So I guess the debate remains prickly, but in light of the UConn study, I figure that fat-free chocolate milk might make for a good occasional pick-me-up for my kids.

What do you guys think? Yay or nay to chocolate milk?

next: Put More Laughter into Your Family Life!
Colleen August 24, 2010, 1:26 PM

My son drinks chocolate milk way more than regular milk. He eats a balanced diet and doesn’t get too much junk food, so if a little chocolate syrup gets some extra milk into him I’m ok with that.

Wendy August 24, 2010, 2:11 PM

I let both of my boys drink chocolate milk. It’s about the only way I’ll drink milk, so I can’t exactly deny my kids. Neither of my kids is overweight, or anywhere near being overweight. They both have very active lifestyles, they both eat a healthy, balanced diet, and I see no reason to deny them a little treat in the form of chocolate milk.

Meredith August 24, 2010, 5:11 PM

If it’s real cocoa and not artificial flavoring, the cocoa is the healthiest thing in chocolate milk (iron, antioxidants). Dairy isn’t healthy. Try chocolate soymilk (which doesn’t contain bovine growth hormones, cholesterol, animal-fat, etc.) or even better, unsweetened soymilk turned into homemade hot cocoa where you can control how much sugar is added (soymilk, unsweetened cocoa powder, just enough sugar to make it lighly sweet heated in a pan & whisked gently).

m August 25, 2010, 1:16 PM

Chocolate does not take away the nutrients found in milk, so if that’s the way kids will drink it, go for it… I know it worked for me. I always have hated the taste of plain white milk, so chocolate milk helps me get my fill.

Monica August 28, 2010, 12:50 PM

Florida is thinking of banning chocolate milk? What? Are you kidding me? Can they find a more constructive way to help childhood obesity? Like longer recess at school, healthier school lunches, nutrition classes in the school. Banning one drink is not going to curb the habit of simply overeating and no exercise. That’s about as effective as banning toys in a happy meal. Like kids will just stop eating happy meals because there is no toy. Really, for adults you just don’t get it. Eat less, exercise more, bad foods in moderation. Besides, if they can’t have chocolate milk they just move on to soda. No Soda, then fruit punch. Sounds like the episode of The Simpsons when Marge had sugar banned.

Jennifer Hill September 9, 2010, 10:35 AM

Has it really come to this?? I totally understand getting rid of the soda, but the chocolate milk? Really? That was the highlight of my school day in elementary school…Mr.P. handing me my cold, mini-carton of chocolate joy. School is stressful enough! Chocolate milk once a day won’t kill em! Let the poor kids keep their chocolate milk!

Steve October 23, 2010, 11:04 PM

I wish they would also mention that the University of Connecticut research advocating chocolate milk was funded by the National Dairy Council and National Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Board. I’m not against chocolate milk and like it personally, but is there any way to get unbiased scientific conclusions these days?

Car Towing In Brooklyn Ny November 25, 2010, 1:03 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

Free Wireless Internet Service Providers In My Area November 25, 2010, 1:41 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Best Filter For Turtle Tank December 15, 2010, 1:12 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Food Ideas For Baby Shower December 15, 2010, 1:51 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

Wall Units Home Furnishings Sale December 18, 2010, 12:42 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

thomas sabo charms suppliers December 20, 2010, 4:57 PM

Great points altogether, personally I’m gonna have to bookmark this and come back to it. What would you suggest in regards to your post that you made a few days ago?

pandora rings December 20, 2010, 6:56 PM

Man is harder than iron stronger than stone and more fragile than a rose.

slabit pastile December 27, 2010, 2:15 AM

I was been after the Internet for such information and just wanted to thank u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – 10x

slabit December 27, 2010, 3:04 PM

I was beeing looking the google for such information and i wanted to say thanks to you for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Regards

dieta anului 2010 January 2, 2011, 6:43 AM

I was beeing searching the WWW for this info and i wanted to thank you for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

cura slabire January 11, 2011, 7:59 PM

I was been trying to find the Internet for such info and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

dying dark hair red January 15, 2011, 2:24 AM

test iq January 19, 2011, 8:59 PM

I was been searching the google for such info and just wanted to thank u for this post. By the way, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards