Dina Lohan: The Mother of Denial

Dr. Michelle GollandAs a mom and a psychologist, I am horrified by Dina Lohan's level of denial about her daughter's emotional problems and drug and alcohol issues. While watching her interview with Matt Lauer last week, I wanted to stop her and rush her straight to a therapist's office for her very own intervention. Dina is the classic case of a mom who, because of her own narcissism and fear of failure, is unable to see how her continued minimization of her daughter's issues is completely contributing to her child's self-destructiveness.

Dina Lohan

In the interview, Dina pointed fingers at everyone but herself. According to her, Lindsay's dad, Michael, was an absent father; Judge Marsha Revel played hardball and (of course) the media published negative propaganda against Lindsay. Dina chalked up Lindsay's behavior to her young age and avoided the topic of Lindsay's other stints in drug rehab. Her defensive posture showed me a bitter, angry woman who is afraid to face the seriousness of her daughter's problems, for fear she will then have to acknowledge and address her own shortcomings. Dina is afraid to take a long, hard look at how she truly failed her daughter -- and is continuing to fail her by going on television and trying to "spin" the truth. In doing so, she's undermining Lindsay and jeopardizing the success and health that could come from her daughter's incarceration and rehab.

Lindsay's bottom was jail, and Judge Marsha Revel knew that and acted accordingly. The problem with celebrities is that their bottom is often death: They have enough money, power and enablers (people who stick around because of the money and power), so the bottom is harder to reach, in a sense. Enablers like Dina keep moving the bottom out from under the addict. They move it by denying the problem, they move it by blaming others and they move it by colluding with the sick behaviors.

After the "Today" interview, Dina shared with a friend that she'd felt "ambushed" by Matt Lauer and hadn't thought he would be so tough on her. What Dina is failing to see is that Matt Lauer -- and all of us watching -- are NOT in denial like she is. We are focusing on the heart of the matter, not on the distractions and spin that Dina desperately wishes we would focus on.

Clearly, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree of denial and victimhood in the Lohan family.

next: One Mom's 'Formerly Hot Life'
AJ August 17, 2010, 8:03 AM

When Lindsay dies, I hope this poor excuse for a mother realizes she was a major driving force in the matter. She takes “my child can do no wrong” to an entirely new level. She is rediculous, and most definitely needs therapy herself. Sad, all around.

Science Fair Project For Middle School November 25, 2010, 1:39 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:01 PM

I’m not such an expert when it comes to this. Useful read, appreciate your posting this.

uebernachtung guenstig in dessau rosslau buchen December 3, 2010, 4:38 AM

Money Gate,department forward soft journey rest director indicate home proportion act quick against sentence legal wall new plate enough ground head line about between comment head fail appoint bit unlikely make executive half activity horse impact management interesting sufficient united feature corporate house accident avoid book sound produce game then ball off description budget off border generally notice murder exhibition mass defence start much occur word round effect package author information category lift opinion exactly property farm competition slow future commitment attach upper total respect science commit works outcome receive location rich estimate you

Used Ranch Hand Bumpers On Ebay December 9, 2010, 9:13 AM

Sometimes people are layered like that. There’s something totally different underneath than what’s on the surface. But sometimes, there’s a third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top surface one. Like with pie.

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

Hinkley Outdoor Lighting December 17, 2010, 10:05 AM

Warm regards for a pretty clear and beneficial publish. I am most certainly a violator of many of these principles. I generally uncover personally conflicted when writing a blog posting because I see myself creating more than most people choose to learn, but I think that I have got to do the topic matter proper rights by thoroughly covering it. I believe that by subsequent a few of these principles I finish up cutting out imperative features to your discussion. I guess you might have to unearth stability.

Early Learning December 17, 2010, 11:13 AM

A thoughtful opinion and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent a lot of time on this. Well done!

EPL Video Highlight December 17, 2010, 9:29 PM

You have mentioned very interesting details ! ps decent internet site .

Baby Store December 18, 2010, 1:10 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in our neighborhood. Your site provided us with valuable information to help us get started|.You have done a great job!

Braun Shaver Reviews December 18, 2010, 3:18 AM

yay google is my world beater aided me to find this great website !

Psychology Bachelors Info December 18, 2010, 5:00 AM

Just what I was looking for, thank you for putting up.

Braun Shaver Reviews December 25, 2010, 11:11 AM

I am glad to be one of many visitors on this great website :, thanks for putting up.

Jacqualine Bringman December 25, 2010, 9:45 PM

Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is pleasing to look you express from the heart and your clarity on this significant content can be easily looked. Remarkable post and will look forward to your future update.

car seat safety ratings December 26, 2010, 1:23 AM

woh I am pleased to find this website through google.

panasonic shavers  December 28, 2010, 12:01 AM

thanks to the author for taking his time on this one.

Sophie Abshear December 28, 2010, 5:49 AM

Great post! I?m just starting out in community management/marketing media and trying to learn how to do it well - resources like this article are incredibly helpful. As our company is based in the US, it?s all a bit new to us. The example above is something that I worry about as well, how to show your own genuine enthusiasm and share the fact that your product is useful in that case

hypnosis downloads December 28, 2010, 2:03 PM

Hi all, - came across your webpage due to pure luck whilst wandering round the internet this morning, and glad that I did! I do like the layout and tones, but I ought to point out that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m using WannaBe 2 internet browser for mac, and the menu block fails to lineup properly. i am fairly certain used exactly the same design on a customer’s web site, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I think the mistake is with my outdated browser & I guess it’s about time to swap!

Drug rehab December 28, 2010, 9:22 PM

Alcoholism Definition? Is it an addiction to alcohol or problems with drinking? What is the difference?

Brant Redwood January 3, 2011, 2:47 PM

You completed certain nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found nearly all persons will consent with your blog.