Do Black Moms Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is?

Kimberly Seals-Allers:As much as we black moms clamor that we want products that reflect our culture, and that we want children's books, clothes and more with images that actually look like our children, the question is: Do we actually support those products when theydoexist -- or are we just talk?

woman holding money

I'm starting to wonder.

Historically, we haven't done a good job supporting black businesses. One of our major problems as blacks in America is the fact that every dollar we make circulates only once in the black community. By comparison, every dollar the white community makes circulates ten times or more in their community, according to some research.

When I traveled the country interviewing entrepreneurs for my book "The Mocha Manual to Turning Your Passion into Profit," I met several entrepreneurs who started businesses for black consumers, only to find themselves not well-supported by African-Americans.

When I launched my Mocha Manual maternity T-shirt line (which has slogans like "Chocolate Bun in the Oven") and, later, my new-dad tees ("Strong Black Father Under Construction"), I thought the response would be off the charts. After all, I'd received so many e-mails from people saying how they wished there were more products for pregnant African-American women, and how they wished we had more positive messages about black families and black fathers. Though the response has been great, it hasn't been what everyone on my business team expected. Why isn't there the support we envisioned?

One notable exception is Lisa Price and her company Carol's Daughter, and she received celebrity funding and support by way of Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, Mary J. Blige and others. But as I think about other businesses that create products for African-Americans, I've wondered if we do actually support products that showcase us -- or do we just talk a good talk? My admittedly not-so-scientific survey of many of these businesses indicates that black moms aren't putting their money where their mouth is. This saddens me.

Black women have billion-dollar buying power, and we are often the key decision makers in our families. So why aren't we using that power to support black-owned businesses or buy kid products with positive African-American images? When we use that power to get the self-reflective products we deserve, we have to support them with our purses.

Recently, I was approached by one of my favorite party-supply companies, Birthday in a Box.com. They have launched several African-American-themed party lines, from a black ballerina pattern perfect for little girls (which I love!) to a first-birthday party collection featuring a brown baby. The company has invested a sizable amount of money into producing these goods, only to face lackluster sales.They asked me if I had any idea what they were doing wrong.Umm ....

I have my own ideas as to why their great products haven't received the sales support they would like to see. But I was deeply moved by their sincerity and commitment. Birthday in a Box is hosting a survey just for black moms to elicit their feedback and insights on how they plan their kiddie/birthday parties, and to find out what types of African-American-themed party products they would like to see.I'm urging all black moms to click this linkand answer the brief survey. You will even be entered to win a $50 gift certificate to the Birthday in a Box site. But more importantly, we can show at least one business that we do have opinions, that we will speak them and that our voices do matter.

And then let's put our money where our mouth is.

next: Help! My Kid's Role Model Got Arrested!
diazepam December 1, 2010, 4:09 PM

I dont really know what youre talking about here. This cant be the only way to think about this can it? It seems like you know a lot about the subject, so why not explore it more? Make it more accessible to everyone else who may not agree with you? Youd get a lot more people behind this if you just stopped making general statements.

Bridal Shower Invitations Wording Ideas December 15, 2010, 2:50 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

thomas sabo charms ebay December 20, 2010, 5:01 PM

Good thinking. What are your thoughts on expansion on a global scale? Sometimes people get a little upset with global expansion. I will be back soon and follow up with a response.

Alysia Luster December 28, 2010, 3:43 PM

Nice site, thank you. I really love it.

lekarz medycyny estetycznej białystok  January 14, 2011, 2:46 AM

That is a brilliant idea!

styropian January 15, 2011, 12:26 AM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 4:31 PM

You have made some valid thoughts there. I did my own web search on the issue and found on the whole people will agree with your weblog. Thanks again for sharing this online. I certainly liked every bit of it.

Torty February 2, 2011, 12:41 AM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

Sherlene Mcdearman February 6, 2011, 8:21 AM

Very nice article and straight to the point. I am not sure if this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thx :)

introligatornia warszawa February 8, 2011, 3:08 AM

My wife and i ended up being absolutely satisfied when Emmanuel managed to carry out his analysis through the entire ideas he discovered out of your web page. It’s not at all simplistic just to choose to be giving out information and facts which usually most people could have been making money from. And now we already know we have the writer to be grateful to for that. The illustrations you have made, the simple website menu, the friendships your site help to engender - it is all overwhelming, and it’s really aiding our son in addition to our family feel that this situation is thrilling, which is certainly really indispensable. Many thanks for the whole lot!

szyby samochodowe hurt February 8, 2011, 8:20 AM

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

stomatolog Mochy February 9, 2011, 6:37 AM

I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

orkiestra weselna February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

Great article. Unfortunately it’s all ruined by your use of the horrendous phrase

gry dla dorosłych February 24, 2011, 1:48 AM

Great job! nice articles!! congratulations from me!!

cpmprofit February 24, 2011, 2:46 AM

I wish this article would never end.

379483 April 9, 2011, 2:43 AM

What a lovely day for a 379483! SCK was here

louis vuitton wallet May 5, 2011, 4:51 AM

Dude, you should be a writer. Your article is really interesting. You should do it for a living

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 3:04 PM