Fantasia 'Heals' in Public?

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Just two weeks after a suicide attempt, "American Idol"-winner Fantasia Barrino is back at work. Her recent appearance on "Lopez Tonight" was a mix of showmanship and downright honesty about her ordeal. She talked about a hospital nurse who inspired her get up out of bed and fulfill her destiny, and a stint in a group-therapy home where she vented and vented. The theme that kept cropping up as an explanation for her desperation was the pressure to look good, talk well, sing well and survive the criticism that comes with celebrity life. It was a lesson to all of us who blog and comment about public figures. Even celebrities read their own press, and underneath the glitzy facade is a human heart and a vulnerable psyche.

Fantasia Barrino

Fantasia is relatively new to fame, and was probably shocked by the underside of Hollywood. Perhaps the hardest lesson that people new to the limelight learn is the true legal definition of "public figure". As soon as one morphs from common stranger to public person, he or she becomes fair game and a de facto role model -- whether that is welcome or not.

There are two possible defenses against the onslaught of negative (read: envious) energy.One is to grow an alligator skin and become immune to criticism. This isn't the best route. Some people even enter the business with a defective layer in the form of narcissism. Narcissistic people don't care what anyone else thinks and are hell-bent on grabbing the limelight at all costs. In truth, people living with true narcissistic personality disorder probably came from highly critical parenting, and the false personality that they create is designed to suppress deep feelings of self-loathing. Blocking out criticism is learned narcissism, and can become just as dangerous to intimate relationships. It's different from processing criticism, considering it and then digging into one's vat of self-esteem to decide if you really need to change or not. Narcissists can't tolerate that kind of internal stocktaking.

A far better way to deal with the enormous pressures of the entertainment business is to be open and vulnerable -- the route that Fantasia seems to be taking. When people hide their feelings, they open themselves up to speculation and gossip, but honesty and vulnerability is usually rewarded with respect.

Having said that, I'm a little worried that Fantasia is "coming out" too soon after her trauma. It takes months to work through all the feelings that can lead a mother to such depression that she attempts suicide. My concern is that her anxiety was originally caused by a tendency to be "externally defined" rather than "internally defined," and I'm not sure anyone can make that kind of switch in two weeks.

Kudos to Fantasia, the ultimate extrovert, for bravely bleeding for us in public. But I hope she surrounds herself with love and support to shore her up when the next wave of negativity slams her.

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'If You Can't Fix It, Get Out Quickly'
program telewizyjny February 27, 2011, 7:22 AM

Great article over again. I am looking forward for your next post!

program tv February 27, 2011, 8:31 AM

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

notebooki February 27, 2011, 9:50 AM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

Lashanda Carolina February 27, 2011, 12:19 PM

Extermely useful publish right here. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. I will definitely be back.

piłka nożna February 27, 2011, 12:45 PM

Excellent info over again. Thanks a lot:)

hearing loss causes February 28, 2011, 12:17 PM

Hello. remarkable job. I did not anticipate this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!

buty February 28, 2011, 12:45 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

StarCraft 2 Guide February 28, 2011, 3:08 PM

Thank you for being the teacher on this issue. I enjoyed your article very much and most of all favored the way in which you handled the issues I regarded as controversial. You’re always incredibly kind towards readers like me and aid me in my living. Thank you.

program tv February 28, 2011, 4:05 PM

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

best burr grinder February 28, 2011, 10:22 PM

I love this article a lot. I’ll definitely be back. Hope that I will be able to read far more informative posts then. Will likely be sharing your wisdom with all of my associates!

water cooling March 1, 2011, 4:04 PM

Aw, this was a quality post. I would want to write like this as well.

watercooling March 2, 2011, 10:09 AM

Many thanks - Just the content I had been looking for. Superb content.

StarCraft 2 Guide March 2, 2011, 8:51 PM

I agree with most of your points, but a few need to be discussed further, I will hold a small talk with my partners and maybe I will look for you some suggestion soon.

Rema Duperre March 4, 2011, 1:28 PM

I am not so quick-witted to be qualified to post excellent stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will put upon you a broad grin or make you guffaw or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : Hi, my name is Any Key. Please don’t hit me!

Pat Kasuboski March 5, 2011, 1:59 AM

I like this article a lot. I will certainly be back. Hope that I can examine much more helpful posts then. Will probably be sharing your knowledge with all of my friends!

vigrx pills March 5, 2011, 5:27 AM

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.

Aquarium einrichten March 5, 2011, 6:12 AM

The best artcle at any time ! great title great outline and the weblog very interesting !

Darcy Stayer March 6, 2011, 2:01 PM

I am not so keen-witted to be well-suited to put up remarkable stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will throw you a smile or make you chortle or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.

Chara Jimmerson March 7, 2011, 10:19 AM

I am not so teachable to be well-qualified to put together excellent stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will pass you a grin or make you laugh outright or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : Today is the first day of the rest of this mess.

chicken pox in infants March 8, 2011, 12:58 AM

Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!…