Gisele Thinks Breastfeeding 'Should Be a Worldwide Law'

momlogic's Vivian: Ay-yi-YI!

Supermodel mommy Gisele Bundchen believes in boob. According to the Daily Mail U.K.,she told Harper's Bazaar U.K. that she believes breastfeeding should be worldwide law!

Gisele Bundchen

A quote: "Some people here [in the U.S.] think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think, 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?' I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months."

Gisele, Gisele, Gisele. This is an incredibly narrow view. Granted, breastfeeding IS awesome. But some babies are born with jaundice or have other health issues wherein formula is actually preferable to their recovery. Some babies are born with Down syndrome and have weak facial muscles. Some babies just refuse to latch.

We all can't be 5'11", weigh a whopping 120 and be in perfect health. Take me, for example: I herniated a disc so badly just a few weeks after giving birth that I could not walk and had to have surgery to save me from severe permanent nerve damage.

Preparation for this required many tests for which I had to ingest chemicals unsafe to pass through my breastmilk, so my daughter sometimes sustained her life with those "chemicals" you frown so smugly upon. With mommy in the hospital so much, she quickly lost her latch and no consultant could fix it. So I pumped for the next five months of her life -- which was physically painful for me, but I kept on nonetheless. I don't regret it, but I can't tell you how many people thought I was insane for hanging in there as long as I did.

Tell me, Gisele: Had I chosen to spare myself a little pain and stop breastfeeding a few months sooner, what punitive measure would you deem suitable?

next: Here Comes the Pregnant Bride
Anonymous August 3, 2010, 10:51 AM

I agree…my daughter was born with a complete bi-lateral lip and palate cleft and had no sucking ability. We had to use a special bottle that we could squeeze so she could drink. Having a child born with that and knowing that her first of many surgeries would be when she was just 3 months old, I felt no guilt for not being able to breast feed…I was lucky she was able to feed at all! I hate self rightous people.

Kristin August 3, 2010, 12:20 PM

It’s comments like hers that make the rest of us pro-BFers look like a-holes.

Emma Castro August 3, 2010, 12:30 PM

I agree with Kristin I BF my 2nd child but i couldn’t my 1st because he wouldn’t latch on. I tried A LOT to get him to nurse but he wouldn’t. Does that make me a bad mom? nope i did the best I could and then some. Is boob-Nazis like her that make us look bad.

Anonymous August 3, 2010, 12:36 PM

When I said I agree, I meant with the article not w/Gisele. I did the best with the daughter that I could and again, I don’t feel guilty that I couldn’t bf her. Not bfing your children does not make you a bad mom or a bad person.

Anonymous August 3, 2010, 1:04 PM

I’m a huge pro-breastfeeder. Fed my third child for three and a half years. Yet my second was preemie. The lactation specialist tried for a full month to get him to latch on. The kid wouldn’t cooperate. So I pumped until the well went dry at 3 months. What’s a gal to do? Sorry Giselle, can’t win this one.

Nate August 3, 2010, 1:33 PM

Completely agree with Gisele! Obviously there are cases where this isn’t possible. Science alone proves babies that are breastfed are healthier. Period. Some, not all, women who choose not to breast feed are just vain and or lazy.

Anonymous August 3, 2010, 4:53 PM

What an ignorant thing to say. It’s a good thing she has her looks to rely on. And whoever this “Nate” person is who just commented is completely ignorant as well. I take heart meds that I can’t take if I breast feed. That makes me lazy or vain? Only an @ss would make such a stupid statement. Maybe you are right, I should totally risk having a heart attack to breast feed my baby and stop being so vain.

SS August 4, 2010, 10:17 AM

Nate, you and Giselle are tools. MANY women try desperately to breast feed but can’t. I worked with multiple lactation consultants, took prescription drugs that caused horrible side effects, and nursed and pumped until I bled but I never made enough milk for my baby to live on. The tiny amount I made dried up after a few short weeks.

If not for formula my child would have starved to death.

There are also women who “choose” not to breast feed because they have to go on medications in order to SURVIVE that would pass in to breast milk and harm their babies.

There are tons of valid reasons for choosing NOT to breast feed. No one should be judged or criticized for choosing formula over breast milk. Unless you’ve walked in their shoes you and Gisele have no business making comments like that.

Nancy August 4, 2010, 11:17 AM

Breastmilk is liquid gold!
Successful breastfeeding comes with EDUCATION! Women in this country “can’t breastfeed” because they have never learned, “The Art of Breastfeeding!!”
We live in a society where the breast is looked at as “sexual” and not for the purpose of feeding and nurturing our children…physically, emotionally and psycologically!! It’s really sad!!

Anonymous August 4, 2010, 1:01 PM

Nancy, I would love to see you have to say what you just wrote to someone like SS’s face - suggesting that everything she went through was because she wasn’t “educated” enough. And I’m sure you know much, much better than the multiple lactation consultants she worked with!

SS, I totally agree with you! Thanks for sharing your story.

momof3 August 4, 2010, 2:56 PM

Gisele can say whatever she wants ~ you don’t have to agree with it.

Suellen November 22, 2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry girls, I’m with Giselle in this one.
First of all, I truly believe that she meant that breastfeeding should be mandatory on the mother’s part. I know many healthy women who simply refuse to breastfeed, and I just can’t understand why you would give your baby a second best option, when you have the best milk for baby for free.
When complications come in the picture, formula is certainlly a perfect option. And I am sure she didn’t take complications in consideration when voicing her opinion.
It truly gets me mad to hear that some ladies refuse to breastfeed because they don’t want to have ugly breasts…I am still breastfeeding after nine months and baby and daddy still love my twins ;)

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 2:39 PM

Useful information. Thanks so much, looking forward to your feed updates…

High Heels For Kids At Payless December 9, 2010, 8:28 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

marbella rentals December 10, 2010, 5:51 AM

Fine reading. Very helpful, finally a decent website with good information in it.

3D Spinning Nail Polish Caddy December 17, 2010, 11:04 PM

Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.

thomas sabo charms December 20, 2010, 4:57 PM

Hi, i just thought i’d post and let you know your blogs layout is really messed up on the K-Melonbrowser. Anyhow keep up the good work.

Tyrell Brothen December 23, 2010, 12:59 PM

Nice reading. I appreciate your effort, very informative and easy to understand.

Blackjack December 29, 2010, 11:57 AM

Your SEO web site is brilliant I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from the books!

Juegos de Casino December 31, 2010, 7:41 PM

I am new to blogging and actually loved your site. I am going to bookmark your blog and keep checking you out. I really have to say thanks for sharing your web site.