Put More Laughter into Your Family Life!

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Recently, an acquaintance was served a form of cancer that no one orders. Katie's the best friend of a friend of mine, and I've met her just a few times. So it's with unearned intimacy that I find myself erupting into uncomfortable giggles about her cancer -- well, not her cancer per se. The catalyst is a series of e-mail updates that her circle is sending around. See, Katie and her husband are actors, and their acerbic wit is a treat to read. I find myself delightfully smirking about nose tubes, upside-down cell phones that lead callers to believe that Katie's voice is gone and a loony day-nurse who should be admitted to a certain ward herself. And somehow I know that this humor is helping Katie get through her ordeal.

family laughing
Sigmund Freud, the father of modern psychology, was the first to point out that humor is a healthy defense against pain. Katie would want me to make it clear here that Freud meant emotional pain, because her post-surgery stomach is positively aching with the pain of laughing so hard. The science is this: A couple of things happen when tragedy turns to comedy. First, we reframe our problems, looking at them from a perspective that is far less depressing. Then, as we laugh at the absurdity of our situation, happy hormones are released and we actually feel better.

Take the example of Kim Henderson, a mom whose Army husband, Roger, is stationed in South Korea. The distance is a hardship that many families couldn't tolerate. But Kim has started a new tradition with her two small children -- one that involves something as silly as Hallmark.com's new "hoops&yoyo Cards With Sound." Each e-card is packed with family-friendly jokes recorded in the silly voices of the hoops&yoyo characters. The kids use the laughter to connect with Dad, whose spirits are staying high. For this family, using humor to connect makes the pain of separation a tad bit lighter.

So, how can every family inject a little humor into their lives? Well, it starts with a mindset. We have to look at life in the quirky way that a comedian does. For instance, yesterday my kids were home alone for a few hours. (The law says it's OK when kids are 12 or over, and my kids are very responsible.) My concern wasn't their safety; it was the state my house would be in when I returned. So as I pulled into my garage, I told myself to expect the worst and to find it funny. Rather than yelling at my kids, I made a secret plan to keep their spirits high by putting on hip-hop music (gasp!) and dancing around while cleaning up. And it worked! I laughed about their bad housekeeping skills, and they laughed at my terrible dancing. I admit: Looking at the four empty ice-cream bowls (evidence of what had constituted their lunch!) was a bit challenging, but I managed to laugh it off -- and I served extra broccoli for dinner.

In the end, humor is all in our heads. It's just a matter of focusing on the absurdity of our troubles.

next: An Open Letter to Tiger Woods
buy valium December 1, 2010, 3:30 PM

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Red Hair Wigs For Kids December 11, 2010, 12:10 PM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

Wedding Attire For Beach Wedding December 12, 2010, 12:53 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

Elizabeth Navarro December 28, 2010, 3:07 PM

Keep working ,great job!

styropian January 15, 2011, 1:08 AM

Eww! Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing!

barbie glam furniture January 31, 2011, 10:36 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

Gussie Linnert February 11, 2011, 3:42 AM

Well I truly liked studying it. This information provided by you is very effective for proper planning.

Marcelo Blatchford February 20, 2011, 7:05 PM

There is clearly a lot to realize about this. I feel you made certain good points in features also.

dating japan guys February 25, 2011, 3:39 PM

Have you considered adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it will really enhance viewers’ understanding.

Marry Mavropoulos February 26, 2011, 5:59 AM

I enjoy you taking the time to write this post. It is really helpful to me indeed. Value it.

Julianne Magill February 26, 2011, 11:16 AM

I can not thank you sufficiently for the content on your site. I know you put a lot of time and effort into these and really hope you know how deeply I appreciate it. I hope I’m able to do precisely the same for another individual one of these days.

buty February 26, 2011, 2:46 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

program tv February 27, 2011, 2:01 AM

Excellent information it is surely. I’ve been seeking for this update.

hard of hearing February 27, 2011, 2:20 AM

You made some clear points there. I did a search on the issue and found most people will consent with your site.

Dario Kempter February 27, 2011, 10:10 AM

I am now not sure the place you’re getting your info, however great topic. I must spend some time finding out much more or figuring out more. Thank you for wonderful information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

pilka nozna February 27, 2011, 10:10 AM

Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

praca February 27, 2011, 12:16 PM

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Cleo Reeds February 27, 2011, 12:50 PM

I definitely did not understand that. Learnt some thing new today! Thanks for that.

Zahnaufhellung February 28, 2011, 5:00 AM

Great details indeed. I’m the following to see some good comments!

hearing damage February 28, 2011, 8:25 AM

Hello.This article was really interesting, especially since I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Friday.