Put More Laughter into Your Family Life!

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Recently, an acquaintance was served a form of cancer that no one orders. Katie's the best friend of a friend of mine, and I've met her just a few times. So it's with unearned intimacy that I find myself erupting into uncomfortable giggles about her cancer -- well, not her cancer per se. The catalyst is a series of e-mail updates that her circle is sending around. See, Katie and her husband are actors, and their acerbic wit is a treat to read. I find myself delightfully smirking about nose tubes, upside-down cell phones that lead callers to believe that Katie's voice is gone and a loony day-nurse who should be admitted to a certain ward herself. And somehow I know that this humor is helping Katie get through her ordeal.

family laughing
Sigmund Freud, the father of modern psychology, was the first to point out that humor is a healthy defense against pain. Katie would want me to make it clear here that Freud meant emotional pain, because her post-surgery stomach is positively aching with the pain of laughing so hard. The science is this: A couple of things happen when tragedy turns to comedy. First, we reframe our problems, looking at them from a perspective that is far less depressing. Then, as we laugh at the absurdity of our situation, happy hormones are released and we actually feel better.

Take the example of Kim Henderson, a mom whose Army husband, Roger, is stationed in South Korea. The distance is a hardship that many families couldn't tolerate. But Kim has started a new tradition with her two small children -- one that involves something as silly as Hallmark.com's new "hoops&yoyo Cards With Sound." Each e-card is packed with family-friendly jokes recorded in the silly voices of the hoops&yoyo characters. The kids use the laughter to connect with Dad, whose spirits are staying high. For this family, using humor to connect makes the pain of separation a tad bit lighter.

So, how can every family inject a little humor into their lives? Well, it starts with a mindset. We have to look at life in the quirky way that a comedian does. For instance, yesterday my kids were home alone for a few hours. (The law says it's OK when kids are 12 or over, and my kids are very responsible.) My concern wasn't their safety; it was the state my house would be in when I returned. So as I pulled into my garage, I told myself to expect the worst and to find it funny. Rather than yelling at my kids, I made a secret plan to keep their spirits high by putting on hip-hop music (gasp!) and dancing around while cleaning up. And it worked! I laughed about their bad housekeeping skills, and they laughed at my terrible dancing. I admit: Looking at the four empty ice-cream bowls (evidence of what had constituted their lunch!) was a bit challenging, but I managed to laugh it off -- and I served extra broccoli for dinner.

In the end, humor is all in our heads. It's just a matter of focusing on the absurdity of our troubles.

next: An Open Letter to Tiger Woods
Tammara Tosch March 19, 2011, 5:24 PM

Grande alberino! Ringraziamenti per richiedere tempo scrivere qualcosa che sia realmente degno lettura. Trovo troppo spesso l’Info inutile e non qualcosa che sia realmente relativo. Ringraziamenti per i vostri duri lavori.

WebcamVice Online Sex Cams March 19, 2011, 11:30 PM

I am now not certain the place you’re getting your information, however good topic. I must spend a while learning more or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent information I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

twittenator review March 20, 2011, 4:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions you write about through this website.

vigrx pills March 20, 2011, 10:56 AM

I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time… however it was another pleasure to see It is such an essential topic and ignored by so numerous, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issueExcellent stuff as typical.

job hiring March 20, 2011, 3:00 PM

holy cow i like this article! would you mind if i shared?

electric scooter March 20, 2011, 4:21 PM

More of this please

buy ereaders March 20, 2011, 4:57 PM

More of this please

geckos March 20, 2011, 7:29 PM

I’m from Latvia and I can’t speak english very good, but this post is really sweet.

Joaquin Allocca March 20, 2011, 8:23 PM

Real glorious info will be found on site here.

tattoo kit March 20, 2011, 9:21 PM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

pc tablet March 21, 2011, 1:11 AM

Really interesting idea for me . Will you post some more ? coz i want to follow ur twitter or facebook

gnc store locator March 21, 2011, 8:29 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

petzl tikka March 21, 2011, 8:40 AM

Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you could have right here on this post. I might be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

nixon watch March 21, 2011, 9:13 AM

Would you be keen on exchanging hyperlinks?

brewbot tassimo March 21, 2011, 12:34 PM

Hello! I have read some of your post here and found it interesting and it makes a lot of sense. Plus i love your theme here. Thumbs up! Keep on sharing!

buy microwave ovens March 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

I assumed your post was cool and will visit typically.

buy device gps March 21, 2011, 7:18 PM

This is really nice idea dude.iam really proud of you . Do u have twitter?? i want to follow you .thx

Benz Forums March 21, 2011, 8:16 PM

Hey we was just browsing your website on my iPhone and I was wondering how good it will work on the new ipad coming out . Fleeting thought…. Anyway thanks!

polished concrete flooring March 21, 2011, 8:42 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

4g phone March 21, 2011, 11:28 PM

amazing i love these, good job! cool amazing i love those, great job!