Put More Laughter into Your Family Life!

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Recently, an acquaintance was served a form of cancer that no one orders. Katie's the best friend of a friend of mine, and I've met her just a few times. So it's with unearned intimacy that I find myself erupting into uncomfortable giggles about her cancer -- well, not her cancer per se. The catalyst is a series of e-mail updates that her circle is sending around. See, Katie and her husband are actors, and their acerbic wit is a treat to read. I find myself delightfully smirking about nose tubes, upside-down cell phones that lead callers to believe that Katie's voice is gone and a loony day-nurse who should be admitted to a certain ward herself. And somehow I know that this humor is helping Katie get through her ordeal.

family laughing
Sigmund Freud, the father of modern psychology, was the first to point out that humor is a healthy defense against pain. Katie would want me to make it clear here that Freud meant emotional pain, because her post-surgery stomach is positively aching with the pain of laughing so hard. The science is this: A couple of things happen when tragedy turns to comedy. First, we reframe our problems, looking at them from a perspective that is far less depressing. Then, as we laugh at the absurdity of our situation, happy hormones are released and we actually feel better.

Take the example of Kim Henderson, a mom whose Army husband, Roger, is stationed in South Korea. The distance is a hardship that many families couldn't tolerate. But Kim has started a new tradition with her two small children -- one that involves something as silly as Hallmark.com's new "hoops&yoyo Cards With Sound." Each e-card is packed with family-friendly jokes recorded in the silly voices of the hoops&yoyo characters. The kids use the laughter to connect with Dad, whose spirits are staying high. For this family, using humor to connect makes the pain of separation a tad bit lighter.

So, how can every family inject a little humor into their lives? Well, it starts with a mindset. We have to look at life in the quirky way that a comedian does. For instance, yesterday my kids were home alone for a few hours. (The law says it's OK when kids are 12 or over, and my kids are very responsible.) My concern wasn't their safety; it was the state my house would be in when I returned. So as I pulled into my garage, I told myself to expect the worst and to find it funny. Rather than yelling at my kids, I made a secret plan to keep their spirits high by putting on hip-hop music (gasp!) and dancing around while cleaning up. And it worked! I laughed about their bad housekeeping skills, and they laughed at my terrible dancing. I admit: Looking at the four empty ice-cream bowls (evidence of what had constituted their lunch!) was a bit challenging, but I managed to laugh it off -- and I served extra broccoli for dinner.

In the end, humor is all in our heads. It's just a matter of focusing on the absurdity of our troubles.

next: An Open Letter to Tiger Woods
wealthy affiliate scams March 21, 2011, 11:35 PM

¡Gracias!

זקוקים לצמיחה אישית ועוד תוכלו לקבל עזרה מאנשי מקצוע מקצועיים בתחום זה.

movies bible March 22, 2011, 3:58 AM

I think I will change to this blogengine system as it is a lot nicer than mine.

video projector March 22, 2011, 4:56 AM

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

snow boot shop March 22, 2011, 5:49 AM

Many thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I really feel can locate any facts in content and discus forum

review March 22, 2011, 7:27 AM

This really answered my downside, thank you!

credit card March 22, 2011, 9:53 AM

Really a nice website! Just entered it today and surely going to check for updates.

fitness forum March 22, 2011, 10:44 AM

I’d should examine with you here. Which is not something I often do! I get pleasure from studying a submit that can make folks think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

golf swing instruction March 22, 2011, 10:52 AM

This website is very cool! How was it made .

Ulysses Lamoreau March 22, 2011, 5:08 PM

With all the doggone snow we have had lately I am stuck inside , fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

3ds forums March 22, 2011, 7:13 PM

See, it is good to finally see someone applying some sensible logic to this. Thanks.

we buy homes cash March 22, 2011, 8:04 PM

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Cheap jordans spizikes March 23, 2011, 4:05 AM

Cosy to need methods that definitely gala, appreciation again!

projector video March 23, 2011, 4:49 AM

I’m writing a paper on romoba vacuum cleaners and I found this publish to be really valuable and informative. Thank you.

credit March 23, 2011, 12:19 PM

Great occupation right here. I genuinely enjoyed what you had to say.

health forum March 23, 2011, 2:56 PM

It’s hard to find knowledgeable folks on this matter, but you sound like you understand what you’re speaking about! Thanks

Jobs Finder March 23, 2011, 5:16 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

Mercedes Forums March 23, 2011, 6:06 PM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

financial March 23, 2011, 7:16 PM

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Joaquin Sox March 23, 2011, 8:10 PM

I like this post lots. i will be able to definitely be back. Hope that ready to be able to read a lot of insightful posts then. are sharing your knowledge with all of my friends!