How to Keep Bedbugs at Bay

momlogic's Vivian:

bed bug

Bedbugs aren't just a "city problem": These skeevy skinsuckers have been infesting homes and businesses EVERYWHERE -- all across the country! With a prime hotel/rental vacation week just around the corner (Labor Day weekend!), we asked research entomologist Jeff White from Bedbug Central to educate us on the finer points of bedbug prevention.

So: Why are these nasty pests so prevalent all of a sudden? "[Modern] pesticides don't work as well as the ones we used to use back in the '50s, '60s and '70s," says White. "A lot of popular pesticides [back then], like DDT, had strong residual effects but they'd remain effective for many, many years. But the pesticides we have today only last a couple of weeks, and once they dry, they may not work. Another reason bedbugs are so widespread is, there is a lack of public awareness because they were eradicated from the U.S. for a good 50 years. A lot of people nowadays don't know what a bedbug is, whether or not they have an infestation at home or how not to take them to the workplace or elsewhere. [Bedbugs] are great hitchhikers -- that's what they've been designed to do through evolution. They travel on a pantleg or shoe, or, more commonly, on a person's personal belongings -- like a purse, backpack or laptop bag."

White says that one of the reasons it's difficult to detect an infestation is that as much as 30 percent of the population doesn't react to bedbug bites. Years ago when I was dealing with an infestation, I was visibly eaten alive -- while my husband remained blissfully bite-free.

Though bedbugs haven't been proven to transport any diseases, the very thought of becoming a human feast can turn even the most staunch anti-germaphobe into an itching maniac.What are some ways to keep your home bedbug-free?

1) Know that cleaning will not effect bedbugs AT ALL. "Prevention revolves around education: knowing what the bugs look like, knowing what the signs and symptoms of bedbug bites are, avoiding common ways they enter your house," says White.

2) Avoid "trash-picking," a.k.a. grabbing discarded furniture off the street.

3) When traveling, do a basic inspection so you can avoid a room with a bedbug problem. Inspect the bed, headboard and bottom of the box spring for bedbugs and the small brown spots that are their droppings. Adult bedbugs are visible; they're about a quarter-inch long and resemble ticks.

4) If you buy used furniture, check for these same signs of infestation before bringing it home.

5) Unpack outside your home and immediately toss all of your clothes into a hot wash and/or hot dry cycle to kill off any uninvited stragglers.

6) Be sure to inspect your luggage for any stragglers. If you spot one, spritzing it with rubbing alcohol should do the trick.

7) Mattress covers are a quick and easy way to keep bedbugs at bay, but be sure to check that bedbug prevention is mentioned on the packaging.

8) If you find bedbugs, White says to consult a professional exterminator immediately, as bedbugs can actually spread through cleaning.

"Ignorance is not bliss," he says. It's not going to solve this problem. Bedbugs are back, and they are here to stay. They aren't going away anytime soon. If you suspect you might have bedbugs, do something about it. As people begin to educate themselves and better understand how to avoid transporting them, I do hope things will improve."

next: Are Your Kids Getting Their Z's?
Bill August 30, 2010, 4:14 PM

I hate bedbugs and I had them 3 times….I know they are bad but I read this article that shows what is worse….consider reading this article…please and share it with family…http://bit.ly/dcNS9H

-B

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:16 PM

Nice, just to let you know the post isnt showing up properly on my iphone - I think there is a plugin you can grab that takes care of that now.

Buy Targeted Fans December 9, 2010, 2:21 PM

All new to me; I wasn’t acutely aware of the various ramifications and intensity to the story till I searched here through Google! Good job.

Annual Flowers And Plants December 10, 2010, 11:22 PM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Identifying Antique Crystal Patterns December 11, 2010, 1:37 AM

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Unique Dog Tags For Dogs December 18, 2010, 12:48 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

Stone Flower Bed Edging December 18, 2010, 12:56 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

erotyka December 29, 2010, 12:51 AM

Oh yeah! Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing, greetings.

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 3:37 PM

I was beeing scouring the WWW for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Thanks

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 9:34 PM

Ladies generally speaking usually are not seeking to lose substantial amounts of pounds generally. A lot of the people using phen375 are simply seeking to lose A few to Twenty five lbs normally and normally its abdominal fat. Nearly all are wholesome, go to the gym type people. They simply have not been capable of shed body fat on the stomach or even have reached any Plato. Belly fat issues usually start to happen for ladies around the time of or perhaps after child birth as well as later inside age group pre and post being menopausal. It seems going to women while presently there hormonal changes tend to be changing; it’s an ordinary process of life or perhaps is this? My goal is to explain to you that the genuine excess fat saved in the actual stomach or abdomen region differs from the others as well as the much more you’ve than it the whores your own junk disproportion will become.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 5:24 AM

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site wants way more consideration. I?ll in all probability be once more to read rather more, thanks for that info.

HostNine Reviews January 9, 2011, 2:49 PM

I admire your website , it’s filled of lot of information. You just got one perennial visitor of this site.

Unlock iPhone 3G January 12, 2011, 8:25 AM

Thanks for the awesome page. I loved reading it!

Belgrade January 13, 2011, 8:23 AM

Well I really enjoyed studying it. This tip procured by you is very useful for accurate planning.

Unlock iPhone 4G January 13, 2011, 3:59 PM

I really enjoyed this article. It is nice when you find something that is not only informative but entertaining. Outstanding.

Kayleen Hanby January 20, 2011, 5:43 PM

Great ideas, thanks are in order for taking the time to write it down

Desmond Bronstad January 22, 2011, 10:52 PM

I can’t say I completely agree, thanks for making the effort to throw it up

Margot Embelton January 23, 2011, 7:38 AM

I can’t say I completely agree, thanks are in order for taking the time to write it down

Lura Hermus January 24, 2011, 8:39 AM

Fantastic ideas, thanks to whoever thought of it and for making the effort to put it up

Donny Tiberio February 6, 2011, 7:35 AM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely love reading everything that is written on your site.Keep the stories coming. I loved it