Kate Hudson's Trainer Shares Her Secrets

Summer's not over yet, and it's never too late to get into bikini-ready shape! We sat down with Kate Hudson's personal trainer, Nicole Stuart, to talk about her new iPhone app, "QE2: Celebrity Quick Easy Exercises." It features four 10-minute targeted workouts (for arms, abs, butt and hips) that can be done virtually anywhere. We know: We tried them all.

Nicole Stuart
(Don't worry about taking notes. We'll have a preview of Nicole's fave exercises at the end of this interview.)

momlogic:We LOVE how great Kate Hudson is looking!Tell us about your iPhone app, and how it's helping moms like us get back into shape.

Nicole Stuart:I love my iPhone app. It's great because it's a routine for anyone to learn and practice. If you don't have the time, it's the perfect thing to do -- just choose one area to work. Arms, abs, hips, butt ... each workout is 10 to 12 minutes. It's set at a fast pace, but that's where you are to progress to. They are simple exercises that you can learn with the photographs that are included. Practice does make perfect. Over time, you learn these exercises and do the routine, eventually without the app. I still feel the burn when I do it.

ml: Moms are always intimidated by the idea of starting a new regimen.What's the easiest way to start a workout program?

NS:I think baby steps are the way to go, even for just a walk around the block. Ask people where or what gym they go to, or who they work out with. Lots of people are doing group classes or split trainers' fees. That's always an affordable way to go.

ml: What would you tell moms who say they don't have time to exercise?

NS:Make the time! It's important! That's why my app is so important -- you can find the time to work one area of your body. No excuses!

ml: What's your workout philosophy?

NS:
Consistency over a long period of time equals results. Don't try to do the crash workout: "I have to lose 15 pounds in a week or two." You will yo-yo diet big time -- and drive yourself nuts. Work out consistently. Try to do something small every day; that way, the payoff is always happening. Take stairs in buildings. Don't valet. Do something physically challenging and take yourself out of your comfort zone, always.

ml: If you could give us ladies one final bit of advice for staying active and healthy, what would it be?

NS:
Treasure yourself. Do things that make you happy. For me personally, moving my body has always made me feel so good. More importantly, it has helped me mentallyandphysically!

Here are Nicole's favorite exercises:

The Roll Up
1) Lie flat on your back. Extend arms over your head (shoulder width), palms facing up. Legs are straight and together. Pull navel into spine.
2) Inhaling slowly, raise arms toward the ceiling (so your head goes through your arms). Keep pulling your navel deeper into your spine.
3) While finishing the exhalation, continue forward until your upper body is over your legs.
4) Inhale slowly while you roll down one vertebra at a time. Maintain the arms at shoulder width.
5) Exhale as you lift the arms to the ceiling, then overhead, stretching more and more. Repeat 5 times.

The Hundred
Lie on your back with your arms stretched out along your sides. Pull knees into chest.

Stage 1 (beginners): Keep knees bent.
Stage 2 (advanced): Straighten legs.

1) Inhaling through your nose, pump arms for 5 counts. (Keep arms straight and pump from shoulders only.)
2) Exhaling through the nose, continue pumping for 5 more counts.
3) Repeat until a maximum of one hundred movements is reached.

Single-Leg Stretch(pictured)
1) Pull your right leg (bent as far as possible) in toward your chest.
2) Lift your upper body so it forms a "C" curve.
3) Place your outside hand on your ankle and your inside hand on your knee.
4) Create your own resistance by pulling your knee in and pushing it out at the same time. (Opposite leg is extended out all the way. Do not hyperextend your knees!)
5) Switch sides.
Do 10 times.

Double-Leg Stretch
1) Lie flat on your back with both knees bent into your chest, pulling your ankles in with your hands.
2) Inhaling slowly and keeping chin to chest, reach arms and legs in opposite directions. (Legs can be higher if you're a beginner; lower if you're advanced.)
3) Keep pulling in navel. Bring arms out to the side.
4) While exhaling, circle arms back in with legs, grabbing ankles and coming back to starting position.
5) Squeeze heels together tightly. (Do not squeeze quads. Keep legs soft.)
Do ten times.

next: My Sister, the Secret Addict
auto szyby warszawa February 5, 2011, 4:47 PM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

implanty warszawa February 6, 2011, 10:28 PM

Thank you for your post. I like it! Greetings!

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 1:08 AM

I like this, its great.

implanty zębów February 7, 2011, 3:05 PM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

seahorse for sale online February 8, 2011, 1:06 PM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

stomatolog Wysokie Mazowieckie February 9, 2011, 8:40 PM

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.

stomatolog Raciborowice Górne February 10, 2011, 12:11 AM

I’ve read several good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to make such a wonderful informative site.

lego February 10, 2011, 1:12 AM

BEAUTIFUL ARTICLE!!!!!

meble pokojowe katowice February 10, 2011, 1:46 AM

you’re really a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!

Enrique Arietta February 10, 2011, 8:59 PM

I simply want to mention I am beginner to blogs and absolutely savored you’re web site. More than likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You certainly come with perfect writings. With thanks for revealing your webpage.

dźwigi elektryczne February 14, 2011, 8:45 AM

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include almost all vital infos. I’d like to see more posts like this .

top ps3 games February 17, 2011, 12:39 AM

has iOS 4.2 been unblocked yet? I can’t reside without Cydia so not update my iPhone yet.

cake decorating instructions for beginners February 17, 2011, 10:35 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

orkiestra weselna February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

Great article. Unfortunately it’s all ruined by your use of the horrendous phrase

filme online March 9, 2011, 5:44 PM

I was been searching the WWW for such info and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Alane Ovalles March 29, 2011, 3:51 PM

Awsome article and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :)

Roger A. Sanders March 29, 2011, 4:02 PM

Billy H. Sherrill March 31, 2011, 4:35 AM

Carla T. Stern April 5, 2011, 6:58 AM

Hi all, - found out about this internet site by chance when roaming around the net this evening, and glad that i did! I do like the style and design and colours, but I need to say that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m using Netscape 8 web browser for mac, and the side panel fails to align fully. i am fairly certain I’ve applied an identical design on a company’s online site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I suspect the problem is at my end and I reckon that it’s time to change for a better one!

Becky I. Fischer April 8, 2011, 2:08 AM