Mom to Gisele Bundchen: 'We're Not All Supermodels'

Jessica Katz:Everyone has her own idea of how to parent a child, and some notions are crazier than others. I have to admit, I used to be a huge Gisele fan -- until she became a mom. And it isn't just that we had babies days apart and she looks ... well, like a supermodel, and I don't.

Gisele_Bundchen-supermodel.jpg

First off, her story about her magical home birth in the bathtub sans drugs sounded fantastic, except for the fact that most people need pain meds, don't look amazing right after birth and feel just as connected to their baby when they give birth in the hospital. (Call it the neurotic Jew in me, but I wanted to be in a hospital with lots of doctors around me in case anything went wrong.)

Then she told the world that her 6-month-old son was potty-trained because diapers were bad for the universe (i.e., they're not "green"). I am pretty sure that is impossible. In fact, I know it is. Her baby wakes her up in the middle of the night when he has to pee, lets her know and makes it to a toilet?! Really?

And now Gisele says that breastfeeding should be made a law? While I agree that "breast is best," it doesn't work for everyone -- sometimes for many reasons. I think the most important job of all is to be a good mom for your baby. And if that means you don't have the capacity, energy, health, nipples or time to breastfeed, that's OK. We don't all make eight-figure salaries and have chefs, nannies, private jets and housekeepers.

I was dead set on breastfeeding. I took the classes, bought the bras, the pump, the ointment, the pillow and thought it was the only option. (Aww, the money wasted ....) Then I got sick, and after about two months had to give it up. I felt like a failure. I felt defeated, as though my daughter was missing out on what was best for her. I was convinced that we would never be quite as bonded as other mother-daughter duos -- that is, until a friend reminded me that my job was to be a good, healthy mom for my daughter, and nursing wasn't part of the equation for me. I was so embarrassed every time I pulled out formula that I felt the need to explain my whole medical history. People really could care less about my infections. They stared at me like I was lazy and poisoning my child.

Moms need not judge one another -- we all do the best we can. And while we would all like to look like models and have 6-month-old babies who use the potty, we can be super moms without being supermodels.

next: Going Gaga for Baby Lady Gaga Impersonators
Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 5:15 PM

Interesting reading. Very helpful, finally a decent website with good information in it.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:25 PM

Great job here. I really enjoyed what you had to say. Keep going because you definitely bring a new voice to this subject. Not many people would say what youve said and still make it interesting. Well, at least Im interested. Cant wait to see more of this from you.

Pictures Of Antique Crystal Patterns December 11, 2010, 1:06 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

thomas sabo charms ebay December 20, 2010, 4:42 PM

Im a huge fan already, man. Youve done a brilliant job making sure that people understand where youre coming from. And let me tell you, I get it. Great stuff and I cant wait to read more of your blogs. What youve got to say is important and needs to be read.

Margaret December 21, 2010, 8:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the article !

summer 2013 hairstyles pictures December 22, 2010, 5:06 AM

dieta rapida December 27, 2010, 4:00 AM

I have beeing trying to find the Web for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

Drug rehab December 28, 2010, 6:54 PM

Alcoholism is a controversial term, defined now as either Alcohol Abuse or Alcohol Dependence:

cura slabire January 4, 2011, 2:34 AM

I was been looking the Internet for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 7:25 AM

It’s best to take part in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I’ll recommend this site!

Hostel Belgrade January 13, 2011, 7:55 AM

Awsome info and straight to the point. I am not sure if this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :)

Unlock iPhone 2G January 14, 2011, 9:08 AM

This is great! Where do you find this stuff?

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 11:03 PM

Do you mind if I reference this article from my website? I find myself at your website more and more regularly to the point where my stops here are practically every day now! Thanks once more for taking the time to put this online. I unquestionably loved every bit of it.

sea monkeys for sale February 13, 2011, 1:54 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

Teacup pigs for sale February 13, 2011, 10:35 AM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

zespół na wesele February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

Interesting information, thank it will help me.

anna March 11, 2011, 10:25 PM

Disregard of all the crap you are saying let me tell you something, birth is indeed a natural process which in MOST of the times (excluding high risk pregnancies or other dangerous situations) is something any woman can do. We have been brainwashed by society that we cant do it, that a doctor knows best, nature is wise, our bodies are full of wisdom, if we just tried to give it a chance to prove it birth would be so different. Check the movie the Business of Being Born on youtube for further references.
Breastfeeding is THE BEST you can do for your baby, is easy, simple, cheapest than formula, so honestly I dont see the point of saying is hard…
There is a method for trying to potty train babies since 2 or 3 months old, not saying that is going to work immediatly but it does make them go potty train faster. Also I dont think you need nannies, money and jets to do all this, do you?? Dont attack something you dont know ;)