Mother-in-Law 'MD' Must Be Stopped!

Guest blogger Maggie: My mother-in-law and I have an iffy relationship. On the one hand, she doesn't get in my personal business, doesn't tell me how to raise my kids and never takes sides whenever my husband and I have a disagreement. But on the other hand, she does have things about her that make me bananas -- namely, the fact that she "diagnoses" my children with ridiculous things, as if she were a psychologist and an MD rolled into one.

Mother-in-Law
It would almost be funny if it didn't irk me so much. She just left this morning after a ten-day visit. Every time she comes (this time being no exception), she reminds me how ADHD runs in her family. She says she has it (now, there's one diagnosis I do believe), and that she's pretty sure our daughter has it, too. Oh, you mean the daughter who sits for hours reading a book and who makes straight-A's in school? That one? Sure, she's talkative and she asks a lot of questions, but how does that make her ADHD, as opposed to just an inquisitive 9-year-old? I look at my daughter, how strong and healthy she is -- how she's so clearly NOT hyperactive or attention-deficit -- and the thought of her grandmother playing doctor makes me crazy.

This visit produced two more "diagnoses" as well. My son slipped on the cement by our pool and skinned his shoulder. The wound was just a scrape, but it was perfectly round in shape, about the size of a dime. When his grandmother saw it, she whispered (as if it were something shameful), "He's got ringworm." No matter what I told her -- even when I explained that I'dseenthe scrape happen and that it most certainly wasn't ringworm -- she was offended that I was contradicting her. "I was a nurse for 25 years," she said. "I think I know what ringworm looks like." Yeah, and I've been a mother for ten years. So do I.

Then I was cleaning out my kids' closet, and my mother-in-law commented on how a couple of my son's shirts in the throw-out pile had "moth damage" around the collars. I explained that, no, that was where he had chewed on them. (Strange habit, I know, but he had kicked it months before.) I told her it was a common oral fixation; I'd Googled it and found that lots of kids did it and that they usually grew out of it, just like our son had. "No, no, no, it sounds like that disorder tricho-something-or-other to me," she said, pulling this medical tidbit from I don't know where. "It's a form of OCD, which also runs in our family ...." (Please, what doesn't?) Not that I gave her stupid diagnosis any merit, but after she left, I found the disorder she was referring to online, and while it is an "OCD thing," it's an illness where people pull out their own HAIR.

Please God, make it stop -- at least until the next visit from Dr. Grammy. Can't wait to hear about the new crop of diseases she'll come up with then.

next: Vacationing with a Smartphone Not So Smart
Been there, kinda August 19, 2010, 8:48 AM

I would say you two need to sit down with dear ol’ MIL and set her straight on this. My husband and I were in the positiion of an intrusive MIL (his mom) and ended up in a very bad situation until it was dealt with. Which put her out of our lives for 10 months (not that I’m complaining). But Nipping this in the butt now before it damages your children or infuriates you further would be a very good idea! Of course, it is up to you and you have your reason’s for doing what you do and how you do it. would just like to use my experience to save others from the same downward spiral we went through. hope everything works out!!

ABCfibi August 19, 2010, 9:11 AM

Sounds familiar, except that I have two, yes count them, two MILs. My husbands step mom did billing and was the receptionist in a doctor’s office and a dental office. She knows everything about everything medical and dental. You can’t argue or disagree because she is crazy and mean. The other MIL is an ex-drug addict and knows how to milk the system and has her 17 year old son receiving disability for Oppositional Defiance Disorder. She is constantly looking for some way to receive disability or to tell you what is wrong with you so you can get free money.

My opinion, if she is nice and reasonable, talk to her and let her know she is upsetting your kids, but don’t make it about you.

The Family B Word August 19, 2010, 9:21 AM

Unfortunately my MIL is also an expert on everything and anything. When she was told of my fibromyalgia diagnosis she immediately started telling me how to handle the condition.

And when I was diagnosed with diabetes, she became the world’s most preeminent source of knowledge on that topic as well.

I can’t wait til we get posted so we can move FAR, FAR away from her!

Amanda August 19, 2010, 3:58 PM

Whats worse is having a MIL who IS a psychologist. She also tends to think she’s a medical Dr., but she can actually pull the ‘I’m a Dr.’ If it’s something about his behavior I’m concerned about, I’m more than willing to listen, because that’s what she does, and people pay her quite a bit to do it for them. That doesn’t mean she knows the difference between a mole and a scrape.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:59 PM

I’m interested in using some of your material for my blog. Please let me know if I can do so if I link back to this page.

Bridal Shower Favors Martha Stewart December 15, 2010, 1:47 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

cheapest thomas sabo charms December 20, 2010, 4:49 PM

Wow! That’s a lot of helpful information! If only I had the time to read all of them. Greets from Germanymortgage banker new york

James Decoteau December 28, 2010, 7:13 PM

The moment I found this was like wow. Thanks for putting your effort in making this blog.

dieta anului 2010 January 4, 2011, 8:45 AM

I have been scouring the Internet for this info and i wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

2008 Tow Dolly With Brakes January 6, 2011, 2:03 PM

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

phen375 review January 8, 2011, 6:33 AM

Ladies generally aren’t trying to lose massive numbers of weight for the most part. Most of the men and women utilizing phen375 are simply trying to shed A few to 25 pounds typically as well as usually its belly fat. The majority are wholesome, visit the gym kind folks. They just have not been able to drop body fat on the belly or reach the Plato. Belly fat concerns normally commence to occur for ladies at about the time associated with or perhaps following child birth and also afterwards inside grow older pre and post being menopausal. It seems like to hit ladies whilst presently there hormone levels are altering; it’s a standard procedure for lifestyle or is this? My goal is to show you how the real fat stored in the particular tummy or perhaps belly location differs from the others as well as the more you’ve got from it the actual whores the hormonal discrepancy will end up.

dieta disociata January 11, 2011, 2:43 PM

I was beeing looking the WWW for this info and i wanted to thank you for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Thanks

modelowanie sylwetki białystok  January 14, 2011, 3:25 AM

I like it! Greetings! Things you brought up a lot of sense.

Torty February 1, 2011, 6:04 PM

Great job! nice articles!! congratulations from me!!

erotyczne gry February 1, 2011, 11:09 PM

Eww! Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing!

Torty February 2, 2011, 1:23 AM

And very nice new article!

Lemuel Tavera February 6, 2011, 7:11 AM

There is noticeably a lot to know about this. I suppose you made various nice points in features also.

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 5:02 AM

I WAIT FOR YOUR ARTICLE.

Turbosprężarki February 8, 2011, 9:08 AM

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

szyby samochodowe hurt February 8, 2011, 9:18 AM

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, would check this… IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of people will miss your wonderful writing due to this problem.