One Mom's Fight for a Cure

Her daughter has an incurable disease called Friedreich's ataxia ... but this mom won't give up fighting for her little girl.
chelsea.jpg

Guest Blogger Sandy Lane: When my husband and I got married, I thought having children would be part of our "normal life" in the future. Little did I know, Steve and I each carried a genetic flaw dramatically increasing the odds of us having a child born with a rare, devastating, incurable disease.

Chelsea was born a normal, healthy baby. However, when she was 4 1/2, she started tripping and falling. At first, we didn't think this was anything out of the ordinary; after all, kids can be clumsy. After several months of watching her get scrapes and bruises, though, we decided to look into it further. Our doctor recognized that Chelsea had some form of ataxia, but wasn't sure which type. (Ataxia is a dysfunction of the nervous system affecting coordination.) After several tests, we found ourselves meeting with the cardiologist at the Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). He shared with us the news that Chelsea had an enlarged heart -- "cardiomyopathy" -- and that because she had this paired with the ataxia, she probably had a disease called "Friedreich's ataxia" (FA). The tests confirmed that she did indeed have FA. FA is a life-shortening, debilitating disease. We were told that most kids don't make it past their 20s, and that Chelsea would soon be wheelchair-bound.

Over the course of time, because Chelsea's immune system was so weak, she was prone to every infection that came her way. After every cold or flu, she would end up dehydrated and we would find ourselves at CHOC. There were many times where, because of her heart condition, she would have to spend weeks in the ICU. I never imagined myself feeling so isolated and alone.

The predictions about Friedreich's ataxia have come true for us. Chelsea is now in a wheelchair. She's had several surgeries to correct her severely deformed spine and feet. She is also now blind, battling pre-diabetes and has problems with speech, swallowing and weakness. My husband and I help her with bathing, eating and all the other activities of daily living.

The scary part of all of this is that it can happen to any one of us -- one in 100 people are carriers of FA. Carriers do not have symptoms of the disease, so there was no way for Steve and me to know that our little girl was at risk. One in 50,000 Americans have FA. It is very isolating, frightening and lonely dealing with a rare and untreatable disease. FA has changed many things about our lives and brought many emotional, financial and social challenges.

My husband and I were determined to do everything possible for Chelsea and others with FA. When we received the diagnosis at CHOC more than 10 years ago, we began searching for information and hope. At that time, little was known about FA. We and other FA families came together and formed a national nonprofit organization called the Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA).FARA is dedicated to the pursuit of scientific research leading to treatments and a cure for Friedreich's ataxia.

The promising news is that researchers are making the necessary discoveries to bring us closer to having treatments and finding a cure. But we are at a critical stage which requires millions of dollars to fund drug development and clinical trials.

I've done numerous fundraisers over the years for FARA to increase awareness and fund research all over the world. This year, I will be participating in the Seattle Triathlon as part of Team FARA on August 15.

For more information or to donate, please visit Team FARA.

next: 20 Sand Sculptures You'll Dig
chicken pox immunisation March 7, 2011, 6:33 PM

There are definitely loads of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a nice point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up the place crucial factor will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each boys and girls feel the affect of only a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

mortgage refinance March 9, 2011, 4:01 AM

Thank you for making the trustworthy effort to speak about this. I feel very robust approximately it and wish to read more. If it’s OK, as you achieve more extensive knowledge, may you mind adding extra articles very similar to this one with additional information? It will be extremely useful and useful for me and my friends.

vimax March 9, 2011, 10:25 AM

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.

sexe gratuit March 9, 2011, 12:09 PM

I like the precious knowledge you be offering to your articles. I will be able to bookmark your weblog and have my youngsters test up here generally. I am reasonably sure they’re going to be told loads of new stuff right here than any one else!

Island Vacation Packages March 9, 2011, 8:07 PM

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger when you are not already ;) Cheers!

vimax March 10, 2011, 4:52 AM

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

naprawa sterownika pompy bosch vp44 March 10, 2011, 6:05 PM

Your house is valueble for me. Thanks!…

LG LED TV reviews March 11, 2011, 8:55 AM

Thanks for making the sincere attempt to give an explanation for this. I think very strong approximately it and want to be told more. If it’s OK, as you reach extra extensive wisdom, could you mind including extra posts very similar to this one with additional info? It will be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Rina Mckissack March 11, 2011, 1:18 PM

I enjoy you taking the time to publish this publish. It has been extremely helpful to me indeed. Enjoy it.

vimax March 11, 2011, 8:38 PM

Couldn?t be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

spiritual networks March 12, 2011, 1:26 AM

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

vigrx March 12, 2011, 7:52 AM

Keep ‘em coming… you all do such a great job at such Concepts… can’t tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do!

hodowla bydła opasowego March 12, 2011, 8:20 AM

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get something done.

CieAura March 12, 2011, 9:41 AM

Sup we thought that the post great therefore we have added a trackback on it within my own website, continue your great job…

produkcja zwierzęca forum March 12, 2011, 1:29 PM

Can I just say what a relief to find somebody who really knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know methods to deliver a difficulty to mild and make it important. More folks have to learn this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more fashionable because you positively have the gift.

riddles March 12, 2011, 4:45 PM

Yups, its so realistic.Thanks for your great post.

webhosting typo3 March 13, 2011, 12:17 AM

Hey site owner, I like blogengine.net but why did you chose it? I mean it’s so neat with the random avatars and draws people in, but what speficially made you want to install it?

Affiliate Marketing March 13, 2011, 5:34 AM

I have got one recommendation for your web site. It appears like right now there are a handful of cascading stylesheet troubles when launching a selection of webpages inside google chrome and internet explorer. It is running fine in internet explorer. Perhaps you can double check this.

Russell Armstrong March 13, 2011, 5:59 AM

Only this min learned this website by way of Aol… what a pleasant surprise…

facebook layout generator March 13, 2011, 2:33 PM

Aw, this was a really great post. In theory I’d like to write like this also - taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.