Guest blogger Sarah: My son (age 8) is super disorganized. He frequently forgets his lunchbox, his homework, his jacket .... Mornings have always been a nightmare in my house.

sign on door

This year, I vowed that things were going to be different. I met with an educational consultant and did tons of research on the subject. After taking the following five steps, the chaos in our house has quieted considerably.

1) I created a well-lit workspace in our home, with all of my son's school supplies stocked and ready. That way, we don't have to waste a lot of time looking for lost notebooks or rulers.

2) I talked to my son's teacher about his disorganization issue. Before, I had always hidden the fact from teachers (or tried to hide it, anyway). After discussing it with her, I feel like I have an ally. We are working together to help my son succeed.

3) We got a big calendar and wrote down all of my son's assignments and appointments. Then we hung the calendar in the dining room in plain sight. We review it several times a day. That way, it's not a "surprise" when a paper is due or picture day is here.

4) Whenever we have to remember something the next morning, we put a Post-it on the front door the night before (i.e., "LIBRARY BOOK DUE"). Putting the note ON the door ensures that we won't forget!

5) I now strictly enforce bedtimes, since my son (like most kids) thinks a lot more clearly when he's well-rested. It's lights out at 8:30 PM -- no exceptions!

How do you help your kids stay organized? Share your strategies below.

next: My Wife Knows Everything vs. The Wife Doesn't Know
Vivian August 25, 2010, 4:10 PM

Thanks for this! My kid would forget his head if it weren’t attached to his body!

Suz September 2, 2010, 8:16 AM

We are still not there. My daughter is almost 11 and going into grade 6. She needs me to get her organized and then I have to stay on top of her. Last year, I conducted an experiment. Semester one, I encouraged her to be organized, but sat back. In Dec, it was determined that this was not working. In Jan, I organized her and nagged her to stay on top of it all. It went well. In April, I handed it back to her, and only encouraged, and it all went downhill again, even with the reminder notes. So I don’tknow, I may be going to college with her!
One thing that HAS helped us is the “tomorrow box”. Each kid (including me!) has a box and we put our small clothes into it the night before, and anything else that we need for the next day. it then goes on the end of the bed. Helps a lot with morning confusion.

Amanda Behrmann September 2, 2010, 8:19 PM

I wrote a blog post about my back to school organization. It has worked wonders! No more fights with my kids in the mornings. Peace, love, and harmony! We are even able to have relaxed family scripture study and prayer in the mornings. Truly a blessing.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:46 PM

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. Ill definitely be back.

False Positive Home Pregnancy Tests December 11, 2010, 12:29 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

kolay krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:36 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

thomas sabo charms December 20, 2010, 4:43 PM

If you really want you can look the other way and not talk about it. Don’t give up your morals for anything. Generally this will lead to a mistaken and unproductive life.

pandora rings December 20, 2010, 6:39 PM

Personally I’m impressed by the quality of this. Generally when I come across these sort of things I like to post them on Digg. I don’t think this would be the best to submit though. I will be sure to submit something else though.

dieta anului 2010 January 3, 2011, 5:07 PM

I was been looking the Internet for this information and i wanted to thank u for this post. By the way, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 7:18 PM

Women generally aren’t looking to drop substantial amounts of fat typically. The majority of the women and men using phen375 are only looking to lose A few in order to 25 pounds normally as well as normally it’s belly fat. The majority are healthful, visit the health club sort people. They simply weren’t capable of lose fat deposits on their belly or have reached the Plato. Stomach fat issues typically begin to take place for women at about the time of or even after giving birth and afterwards within age group pre and post being menopausal. It appears hitting females whilst right now there hormone levels tend to be transforming; it’s a standard means of existence or perhaps is this? I will demonstrate that the genuine body fat stored in the belly or belly area differs from the others and the a lot more you’ve got of it the whores the hormone disproportion can be.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 8, 2011, 9:25 PM

It’s hard to find knowledgeable individuals on this topic, however you sound like you realize what you’re talking about! Thanks

cura de slabire January 11, 2011, 6:16 PM

I have beeing looking the Web for such info and i wanted to thank you for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Regards

Jailbreak iPhone 2G January 14, 2011, 4:03 AM

Thanks for one more greet post. Keep rocking.

Hostel Bridge January 14, 2011, 3:43 PM

Excellent post this will really help me.

gold price 2011 prediction January 22, 2011, 1:00 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

Catalina Virant February 6, 2011, 8:40 AM

Hello.This post was extremely interesting, especially because I was investigating for thoughts on this topic last week.

Freida Kniffin February 20, 2011, 5:23 PM

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This tip provided by you is very constructive for proper planning.

date tokyo match February 25, 2011, 4:04 PM

Thanks for your insight for the great written piece. I am glad I have taken the time to read this.

Natuerliches Potenzmittel February 25, 2011, 9:53 PM

Dude, please tell me in which youre planning to publish a much more.