Would You Punish Your Teen by Leaving Him in Jail?!

This weekend, the Chicago Sun Times reported that one mom was so peeved that her son stole a car, she left him in jail!

teen in jail

Seventeen-year-old Ravontay Hutchins snagged a pizza delivery vehicle after it was left running outside of a restaurant, and cops busted him on foot. At his hearing, his mom called him out as "spoiled," explaining that his dad was serving in the military in Iraq. After the judge set Ravontay's bail at $25,000, his mother told the judge, "I've got [the money to bail him out], but he's staying here, locked up!" Then she stomped out of the courtroom! When he was led out of court and to his cell, his mom yelled, "You think about that, while your dad's in Iraq."

So ... if your kid pulled a bonehead move like this, would ya punish him by leaving him in jail?

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'I Wasn't Married to a Horrible Person; I Just Wasn't Happy'
Lanie August 2, 2010, 12:33 PM

ABSOLUTELY!! Kids today are entitled, wild and out of control because parents refuse to punish their kids. They need to learn there are consequences for their actions. Plus, in this case 17 is hardly a child.

Nicole August 2, 2010, 12:39 PM

I say “WAY TO GO!!!”. The “kids” today (I’m only 25 so I’m not too far ahead of these guys) are so disrespectful and have no limits. I would do the same thing this mother did if it were my own child! I might not let them stay the whole time, but a good week or so wouldn’t hurt a damn thing. What would stop them from doing it again if you just bailed them out!? There are punishments and consequences for a reason, and people need to deal with them. When I was 17 I made a very poor judgment call and got an MIP, do you think I was a little brat that whined and cried - no, when the officer handed me my ticket I shook his freakin’ hand and said thank you (not sure what I was thanking him for)!!!! My friends thought I was nuts, but my parents had taught me that there are rules and if you break them you deal with it, and you also respect authority.

Rachel August 2, 2010, 8:15 PM

Glad to hear your parents did a good job, Nicole!

katie August 2, 2010, 10:13 PM

Hopefully it scared him enough to stay on the right side of the law for the rest of his life. Who knows what this mother had been dealing with and if she was afraid it would come to this. He embarrassed his family and he was facing his consequences.

Cheryl August 3, 2010, 3:39 AM

MOM did not punish him, she allowed him to suffer the consequences of his actions. That is something that many parents today do not allow their children to do, and that is where the entitlement comes in. GOOD FOR HER!

Natalie August 3, 2010, 8:39 AM

Good for her! I’d absolutely do the same thing.

Micaela  August 3, 2010, 10:12 AM

My parents did the same thing to me when I was a teen, & it was only one weekend in juvie, & guess what? Never got in trouble again.

Louise McCloud August 10, 2010, 4:00 AM

THIS IS A TERRIBLE MOTHER, I WOULD NEVER DO THIS TO A CHILD, THE PUNISHMENT IS FAR TO HARSH AND DANGEROUS (KIDS HAVE A TENDENCY TO GET RAPED) ETC. IN JAIL.

WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IS, SHE SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED HIS SCHOOL COUNSELORS, GET HIM INTO THERAPY, FIND OUT WHAT’S UP WITH THIS KID, THIS IS JUST A KID NOT A HARDEN CRIMINAL.

Fathertimema August 10, 2010, 4:11 AM

My daughter was on drugs as a teenager and won’t listen. I warn her several times if she gets arrested and lock up I would NOT bail her out of jail.
One day I got a collect call and just knew it was her. Shes was up for her drug crap and needed $500.00 bail. I told her to have a nice stay.. I figure she would learn. Wrong. A year later she got arrested again. This time $10000.00 bail. She knew not to ask me to bail her. Best thing for parents leave your brat in jail.
Now if my kid was doing good and never on drugs or getting in trouble and she did a one time thing and got arrested there would be a good chance I would bail her.
But when its a on going problem leave them lock up.

Kate August 10, 2010, 5:21 AM

I think that mom should be commended and anyone who says otherwise has not walked in those shoes…This has been a point of contention between my husband and I our entire marriage. I believe it plays a major part in the problems with todays youth…they expect their actions to have no consequences and all their materialistic desires to be provided immediately…

Vickie Bartlett August 10, 2010, 5:51 AM

I don’t feel she was punishing him, he was stupid enough to steal a car, let him set in jail.

Paula Holler August 10, 2010, 6:05 AM

To the person recommending therapy, COME ON! Too many people are “diagnosed” with things that are simply crap. If you pull a stupid move like this boy did, then you need consequences! I am sure the dad serving in Iraq totally agreed with his wife on this one.

Vicki August 10, 2010, 6:44 AM

I think that what is wrong with MANY of the kids in this country is that they have NO idea what consequeces are. Parents are so afraid to dicipline their “little angels” and don’t want to make them mad…. Blah, blah, blah…..
I say when people stopped spanking, kids stopped listening to ANYONE.
In school, it used to be, if you get in trouble at school, you get in trouble at home.. NOT any more, it is “my little baby did not….. and don’t you dare punish….. IT MAKES ME SICK!!!
I don’t care what Dr. Phil says, spanking, NOT beating, does not hurt anyone. Dr. Phil is always spouting….”the prisons are full, violence is getting more frequent…
Well, that is because parents don’t do their jobs.
I did spank my kids, they rarely needed it. They both grew into respectful, law-abiding, hard working adults.
That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

I. Concur August 10, 2010, 6:56 AM

I say bravo, too many kids have parents that are quick to bail them out of trouble and they keep doin the same thing over and over and apparently don’t learn their lessons because they know mommy and daddy are goin to get them out of it. It’s just like tellin a child they will be punished if they do something wrong - if they do it, they suffer the consequences of their actions and get punished. This kid stole a car, nothing small by any means. He’s 17, not 10. He’s darn near grown and knows better. Bottom line - you do the crime, you do the time. Maybe this will open his eyes and stop him from heading towards a life of crime. For the person who suggested therapy, it may work for some but not all. Sometimes a lesson learned is a lesson earned.

Ericka August 10, 2010, 6:59 AM

I applaud this Mother. And what a way to make him think more about it with that one liner “You think about that while your father is in Iraq”. I bet he won’t do anything “boneheaded” again.

Jaime August 10, 2010, 7:32 AM

Therapy and counseling is NOT always the correct way to go. Just sayin’.

K8 August 10, 2010, 7:37 AM

Totally! Let the “kid” (we ARE talking about a 17y/0…a few more months and he can vote and SERVE WITH HIS FATHER IN IRAQ!) spend the night in jail. He deserves it! He can’t have his mommy bailing him out all the time.

Cheryl August 10, 2010, 7:38 AM

I sort of agree with you Vicki. (About the spanking) If your child has done something wrong (very wrong) and you talk to them and let them know the punishment will be a spanking and do it in a controlled manner, spanking may help. Personally, I have spanked one of my daughters once (my kids are 11 and 14) and have threatened to spank my other daughter twice, but the threat was enough (so far both kids are very respectful and kind girls). But; as for other kids that are not that easy to deal with, yes, discipline should start at home first and foremost; but have you seen and heard some of these parents out there? They seem to be the problem….therefore; if the child is not getting any guidance at home what is wrong with the school system having a plan in action to help these kids learn what is right and wrong. I think the school system should be allowed to discipline the kids; maybe not by spanking; but some form that would teach the kid that what they are doing is wrong and it will not be tolerated. As far as leaving the kid in jail….in most circumstances, yes leave the kid in jail; especially at the age of 17 or over.

Retired Military mom August 10, 2010, 7:55 AM

I do believe the mom was right but not every kid is the same. The one point that is missed in this discussion is that the boys father is serving in Iraq. This puts an enormous stress on the kids. This boy might have never done this if his dad was home. People that are not in the military or have not served might not understand the on the whole family.

really August 10, 2010, 8:20 AM

Ya’ll might think you are doing the kid a favor by jailing him but that is far from the truth. There ARE other ways to pull kids back. In jail they will be raped and will learn all the gang ways. Is THAT the school you want them to learn from??