Skip the Lavish First-Birthday Parties!

Guest blogger Jessica Katz:They say the first birthday is not about the baby turning a year old, but about the parents surviving the first year. Perhaps that's why people are going overboard with first-birthday parties, spending thousands of dollars on a day their baby will never remember.

baby with birthday cake
I have to say, I was taken aback when I received a "save the date" card for a first birthday in January. The proud parents had already secured the venue and the band, and they wanted to make sure no one else took their weekend. For comparison purposes, my first birthday consisted of going to an ice-cream parlor with my family. The only reason I know that is because I asked my mom. She could just as easily have told me it was a big blowout, and I never would have known the difference (except for the missing pictures).

My daughter turns one on December 16th, and mommies from my mommy group have already been asking about her party. How should I know? It's only August! However, it appears that is has already become a competition about who will have the bigger and better bash.

Clearly, it's more of a competition for the parents than for the kids. "I've been thinking about my son's first birthday since he was born," one mom told me. "I wanted a big party; I knew I wanted to have the biggest and best show. I knew all of the moms were going to want to outdo one another, so I wanted mine to be the best. And I was willing to pay whatever it cost -- we budgeted $5,000."

So do you try to compete with a mom who wants to throw the biggest bash of all? No. The party should be about the baby, and what would make the baby happy -- and it should be budgeted according to what you can easily afford. Perhaps that mom's $5,000 should have been put into her son's college account, not spent on pony rides. Remember: Babies have no idea about the money you spend. Save it for a time when your child will appreciate it!

next: Kate Hudson's Trainer Shares Her Secrets
HostNine Discount Coupon January 10, 2011, 12:29 AM

This is great! How did you learn this stuff?

Belgrade January 14, 2011, 2:22 AM

Good artcile, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this topic. Keep rocking.

Sally January 16, 2011, 1:02 PM

*There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

My Cookware Sets January 18, 2011, 2:30 PM

There are some fascinating cut-off dates in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I will take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

Clifford Moccio January 19, 2011, 1:46 AM

Useful website. Thanks, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Darnell Patuel January 27, 2011, 1:41 AM

Useful information. I appreciate your effort, finally a decent website with good information in it.

edible baby shower cake decorations January 31, 2011, 8:58 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

popular wedding colors for 2011 January 31, 2011, 10:33 AM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

Jocelyn Mahany February 11, 2011, 3:22 AM

Very efficiently written post. It will be useful to anybody who employess it, including yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - i will definitely read more posts.

zespół na wesele February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

This article feels incomplete, I find it to be a decent introduction to the topic. Nonetheless, thank you.

Terrilyn Holaday February 23, 2011, 1:24 PM

I have been after the net for this info and I needed to thank u for the post. By the way, simply off topic, where can I find a replica of this theme? – Regards

Praca February 24, 2011, 5:08 AM

I think that there is a point in this. Pleased to be able to play a part. Wish you good luck.

Domingo Kohout February 24, 2011, 7:47 AM

Please tell me that youre attending to keep this up Its thus smart and therefore vital. I cant wait to scan way more from you. I simply very feel like you understand so substantially and skills to make individuals listen to what you might have to be compelled to say. This weblog is simply still cool to be missed. Terrific things, seriously. Please, PLEASE keep it up

Shae Feiertag February 24, 2011, 11:36 PM

It is uncommon for me to discover one thing on the net that’s as entertaining and Intriguing as what you’ve got here. Your page is sweet, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s additional, you employ supply that are relevant to what you are saying. you’re actually one during a million, good job

Meryl Qiu February 25, 2011, 3:37 AM

This brightend my day so can I brighten yours?

Burl Plush February 25, 2011, 9:47 AM

It is very attention-grabbing for your articles. I can be published on different sites it’d be helpful for folks that are interested. and I can link back to your site.

Lyle Devincenzo February 25, 2011, 12:15 PM

can I link to your post?

Alica Veness February 25, 2011, 3:32 PM

Thank you for sharing the experience together. I’m glad to scan your articles. desires you to own smart fun article to read to us lots a lot of ^ ^.

Del Klaphake February 26, 2011, 5:17 AM

The best issue to hold onto in life is one another.

Shala Gosche February 26, 2011, 8:51 AM

I’m glad it absolutely was useful to me. Thanks for your work. sick be in reality