The Benefits of Going Gluten-Free

Guest blogger JJ Virgin: The media is still buzzing about Chelsea Clinton's wedding: who was (and wasn't) on the guestlist; the dress; the gift bags ... even the gluten-free cake, which was rumored to have cost $11,000.

woman eating
Chelsea reportedly has a gluten intolerance, which means her body has difficulty processing gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains. It's estimated that 3 million people have so-called "celiac disease" (an autoimmune disease wherein your body can't tolerate gluten), but a much higher number of people -- possibly 30 percent of the population -- are sensitive to gluten and may experience health issues because of it.

The most common problems caused by gluten include gas and bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea, joint pain and mood disorders. Gluten can also impact thyroid function and cause the gastrointestinal tract to become more permeable or leaky, which can cause its own set of problems.

Gluten is ubiquitous; it is lurking in many processed foods and grain-based products, including some you wouldn't expect (such as mustards and deli meat). Not eating gluten-containing foods can be a challenge at first, but here are some of the health benefits:

• Weight loss
  • Better energy
  • Better sleep
  • Clearer complexion
  • Better mood
  • Reduced joint pain
Of course, there are plenty of foods you can eat even when you give up gluten, including quinoa, fresh fruits and veggies, sweet potatoes, rice-based products, corn tortillas and steel-cut, gluten-free oatmeal. And with the growing awareness of this problem, more and more gluten-free options are being produced. However, I want to emphasize that a gluten-free cookie is STILL a cookie, so be sure to treat it as dessert!

I have found that many of my clients experience dramatic health benefits when they completely eliminate gluten from their diets. My advice is to give it a try for a month, track your symptoms and see what going gluten-free can do for your health.

©2010 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Celebrity nutrition and wellness expert JJ Virgin is a media personality, in-demand public speaker and bestselling author of "Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy, the 5-Step Plan to Sleek, Strong and Sculpted Arms." Get her biweekly LEANzine -- chock-full of tips to get you slim and sexy fast -- at http://www.jjvirgin.com.

next: 'Mommy, Why Are Those Naked People Covered in Blood?'
dieta anului 2010 January 3, 2011, 8:15 PM

I was been trying to find the Internet for such information and i wanted to thank u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Regards

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 9:44 PM

Women generally usually are not trying to drop substantial amounts of pounds generally. The majority of the women and men making use of phen375 are just looking to lose 5 to be able to Twenty-five pounds typically and also normally the stomach fat. Most are healthful, visit the health club sort people. They just haven’t been able to shed fat deposits on their own stomach or even have reached the Plato. Belly fat issues normally begin to take place for women at about the time regarding or perhaps following child birth as well as afterwards in age pre and post being menopausal. It seems like to hit women although there hormonal levels are altering; it’s an ordinary means of life or perhaps is that? My goal is to explain to you that the real body fat saved in the particular stomach or belly location differs from the others and the more you have of it the actual whores your junk disproportion can be.

dieta disociata January 11, 2011, 7:14 PM

I was been looking the Web for such information and just wanted to thank u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – 10x

Jailbreak iPhone 4G January 12, 2011, 9:09 AM

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the issue and found most guys will consent with your site.

Hostel Bridge January 13, 2011, 5:43 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly searching online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

webhosting January 16, 2011, 9:46 AM

Awesome idea I love this

Baby Room Ideas January 16, 2011, 8:15 PM

Well this sort of information is in truth worth searching for, great information for visitors and absolutely shows quality writing. Its terrific to have these kinds of reports around to keep the information flow. Serving individuals who really enjoy this, great work! Thanks again for taking the time to put this up. I definitely liked every part of it.

iq test January 19, 2011, 10:26 AM

I was been after the Web for this information and just wanted to say thanks to you for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – 10x

gry dla dorosĹ‚ych January 26, 2011, 1:44 AM

Thx you for it! Greetings from Europe :)

Gerardo Antczak January 27, 2011, 1:18 AM

Excellent reading. Thanks so much, have a nice day!

Torty February 1, 2011, 8:10 AM

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

windy do przewozĂłw samochodĂłw February 3, 2011, 12:59 AM

wonderful post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

szklane drzwi przesuwne February 4, 2011, 3:28 AM

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

ip camera February 4, 2011, 5:51 PM

First of all, great looking site you have here and great post too. I would like to keep up with your posts but having problem subscribing to your rss.

auto szyby warszawa February 4, 2011, 7:08 PM

BEAUTIFUL ARTICLE!!!!!

Benny Kirtley February 6, 2011, 8:01 AM

I am constantly searching online for articles that can assist me. Thanks!

wybielanie zÄ™bĂłw warszawa February 6, 2011, 8:53 AM

That would be really good if they did many articles.

Torty February 6, 2011, 1:51 PM

Love this post! I agree!

Katalog Stron WWW February 6, 2011, 3:34 PM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 12:07 AM

I’m pretty sure this article is the best.