The International 'Mommy' Sign

Liz Fenton:Different groups of people have always used hand signals as a way to identify themselves and show respect. The military has a salute, and gangs have, um, gang signs. Hell, even my college sorority had a secret sign you could throw across the room to say hello!

woman peace sign

But what about moms? Shouldn't we have a sign to help us communicate with each other? Something that says, "I feel ya, Sista -- my 2-year-old acts like thedevil's spawn, too." Or, "It's OK -- nobody else noticed that breast-milk stain on your shirt."

It could be the universal sign for "I get what you're going through."

We've all been in a situation where we've seen another mom struggling with her kids in a public place. Maybe she's got a fussy baby. Or a tantrum-throwing toddler. Or possibly a tween who's more Britney Spears than Hannah Montana. When I encounter a mom like that, I usually throw a solid nod her way, to let her know not to sweat it too much. But wouldn't it be nice to have an internationally recognized gesture instead?

Like an inverted peace sign.

Or a more feminine version of the chest thump.

Or one of those "rock, paper, scissors" signs.

Anything to show that we are supporting rather than judging when another mom's 4-year-old substitutes every third word with "poop."

We'll save the dirty looks for the 20-something without kids on the other side of the room. And we'll smile to ourselves, because we know that one day, that beyotch will be in desperate need of a "mommy" sign, too.

Hey, momlogic friends: What do you think would be a good international "mommy" sign?

next: Be Your Own Wife
mildredcho August 31, 2010, 4:07 AM

announced chemical risk

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:40 AM

I wanted to give thanks for this great read!! I added to my bookmarks, thanks a ton

Wordpress Themes September 21, 2010, 11:16 PM

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Berenice October 12, 2010, 1:15 PM

I know what you mean, I normally just lean my head to a side and smile, and most smile back. That’s a very comfortable look of “I feel ya!”

Kamagra Oral Jelly

Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 5:37 PM

Well done. I will definitely share this article with my friends. Thank you for the information.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:26 PM

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

thomas sabo charms stockists December 20, 2010, 4:43 PM

You raise many queries in my thoughts; you wrote an excellent article, but this articlee is also thought provoking, and I am going to need to ponder it a bit more; I will be back soon.

Merchant December 21, 2010, 4:03 PM

I appreciate this writeup, I am a business assistant professor in Puerto Rico and I discovered this to become extremely helpful.

HostNine Discount Coupon January 10, 2011, 6:23 PM

Thanks for the excellent page – I loved reading it!

Byron Duman January 24, 2011, 8:59 AM

Honestly great material. Im lucky I observed this posting. Thanks for sharing

Canada Reverse Lookup January 29, 2011, 8:14 AM

I’m thinking about doing a reverse mobile investigation by going on the internet. I’m getting all these cell phone calls by someone who I really don’t know and am curious who believe that they are calling. Lots of weird texting as well as messages are being left on my personal voice mail and it’s really starting to drive me insane. So, exactly where do I find these reverse mobile research services?

Raguel Kazarian February 11, 2011, 4:48 AM

Well I sincerely enjoyed studying it. This article offered by you is very practical for good planning.

summer haircuts 2011 men February 17, 2011, 6:37 AM

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.

zespoły weselne February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

Best Damn post of the week! Good research…did you do it all on your own? This must’ve taken a lot of time. Great stuff.

Irwin Zampieri February 20, 2011, 5:49 PM

As a Newbie, I am always exploring online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

japanese gal sexy February 25, 2011, 5:28 PM

Amazing article, thank you, I will visit again soon!

Elfreda Strehle February 26, 2011, 9:23 AM

The ideas you have given here are rather priceless. It absolutely was such an entertaining surprise to get that awaiting me immediately i woke up now. They are continually to the point and easy to learn. Thank you so much for the useful ideas you’ve shared above.

praca w dziennikarstwie February 26, 2011, 10:34 AM

Great info once again. Thumbs up:)

praca February 26, 2011, 12:32 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Kattie Kahre February 26, 2011, 10:46 PM

F*ckin’ awesome issues here. I’m very satisfied to look your article. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?