The Truth About Spoiled Babies

Wendy Walsh: Back when my kids were babies, I always rushed to pick them up, rock them, sing to them and basically continually shower them with love.
Baby
I spent wall-to-wall time with my tiny angels, giving them baby massages or engaging their mysterious little whims. When I had to leave them, it was only for short periods -- and I was paranoid about the quality of childcare providers. But I did this at a cost. I endured the glances and comments from a chunk of our society who imagined that I was spoiling my children, and that this kind of spoiling could come to no good.

There is so much debate in American culture about how best to parent an infant. Should you let a baby cry, or pick him up? Teach him to self-console, or help him learn to depend on others for help in stressful times? The capitalist pressure for people to become independent quickly is at odds with the more socialist idea that we are an interconnected species with elaborate social structures that require a system of interdependence. (You know: the ability to lean on another's shoulder when needed, and to offer a hug when asked.)

Well, new research supports my personal maternal instinct. Researchers from Harvard, Duke and Brown pulled data from a 1960s study on mothers and infants, wherein psychologists had observed the interactions of mothers with their 8-month-old babies and ranked the quality of motherly affection from "little" to "normal" to "excessive." (Note the biased terminology: "Excessive" implied that it was too much, even before any hypothesis had been proven!) Anyway, the new group of researchers tracked down nearly 500 of the babies who'd been studied (who obviously are now in their mid-30s). And guess what? The group who received the "excessive" mothering had the lowest rates of depression and anxiety and the highest-functioning relationships!

Perhaps most interesting is the fact that no exception was made for children who came from stressful economic conditions, indicating that a parent's strong affection can be a buffer against the effects of poverty. So I can exhale. My kids won't grow up to be selfish brats. Hopefully they will have good mental health and, just as importantly, will have great empathy and compassion for others.

Now if I can only get them to make their beds and hang their clothes up without damaging their psyches ...!

next: Three Ways You Can Help a Mom With Autistic Children
tennmom August 9, 2010, 9:19 AM

I am of the opinion that you can’t “spoil” an infant under the age of one but children 2 and older are often “over indulged” (sp?).
In my family, at least, we find that if a baby is comforted when the cry they tend to learn to self comfort, sleep through the night sooner than the ones left to cry it out.
“No” is not a bad word and I’ve found that the toddlers/older kids benefit from hearing that word.

Anonymous August 9, 2010, 11:42 AM

Wow so a two year old can self comfort? Big deal. Should mom get a medal? This isn’t about being able to self comfort at two, it’s about how you turn out as an adult. Endulge away. They end up with lots of compassion as adults. As you can see by my sarcasm, I wasn’t excessively spoiled as a kid. Maybe mom should have showed a bit more comfort.

Anonymous August 9, 2010, 11:13 PM

the timing on this article could not be more “right on”. I was just “advised” yesterday that my husband and I are holding our 1 month old baby girl too much. Mind you she is our 5 child. My husband and I have never adopted this belief system but for some reason I found myself in a quick panic, thinking to myself..have I in fact “spoiled” my children? Is this my last chance to let the baby cry? I want to thank this author for this bit of info it is what parents today need to hear. Especially in these hard economic times. Some love and affection will go along way!!!

Anonymous August 9, 2010, 11:15 PM

Renee Malove August 31, 2010, 4:28 PM

Ha! My kids are convinced they’re going to be traumatized for life for having to clean their rooms and eat their vegetables. (My 4 year old will tell you I’m starving him to death, since veggies are required before the chicken nuggets hit the plate.) The number one reason for childhood depression, however, is a perception of abandonment by one’s parents. While I can certainly tell you that spoiling and constantly entertaining babies can come back on you (I once had a day care provider drop my son because he demanded her undivided attention all day long) providing a good balance of love and affection with time to play by themselves for five…frigging…minutes in a safe environment with some sort of age appropriate stimulation while you take a shower turns out some pretty well balanced kids.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 4:53 PM

I really like your site. Thank you, have a nice day!

marbella rentals December 10, 2010, 5:26 AM

Very helpful info. Great post, you describe the topic very well

Simple Appetizers For A Crowd December 15, 2010, 2:56 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

thomas sabo charms online December 20, 2010, 4:42 PM

I love what you guys are consistently up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll. My best wishes, Veronique.

slabire December 27, 2010, 4:04 AM

I was been scouring the Web for such info and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Regards

Robyn Chu December 29, 2010, 12:52 AM

There is apparently a bunch to realize about this. I believe you made certain good points in features also.

dieta anului 2011 January 2, 2011, 1:46 AM

I was beeing looking the Internet for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Thanks

dieta anului 2011 January 2, 2011, 10:32 PM

I have beeing trying to find the Internet for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Thank you

HostNine Review January 9, 2011, 8:24 PM

Nice post, thanks. Could you tell me about the first paragraph more?

Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 12, 2011, 4:26 AM

Cant wait for the new article fantastic!

Unlock iPhone 3Gs 4.0 January 12, 2011, 9:44 AM

When I saw this site was like wow. Thank you for putting your effort in publishing this tutorial.

Hostel January 13, 2011, 3:31 PM

There is evidently a bunch to identify about this. I assume you made various good points in features also.

Jailbreak iPhone 3G 4.1 January 13, 2011, 3:42 PM

Very good written information. It will be beneficial to everyone who utilizes it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - looking forward to more posts.

Arch Window Treatments January 16, 2011, 7:25 PM

You some good ideas there. I did my own search on the issue and found a large amount people will be of the same mind with your site. Thanks again for sharing this up. I unquestionably liked every bit of it.

Milo Mingee January 19, 2011, 1:50 AM

Useful reading. Nice piece of info, very useful indeed…