5 Books Every Mom Should Read

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow: While cleaning out my office and reorganizing my books recently, I found some titles I'm never going to get rid of. Some I keep for the giggles they give me; some are intense fiction; some are filled with knowledge about child rearing. My five faves have gotten me through some rough times, and I thought I should share them with you.

woman reading a book
1) "The Discipline Book," by William Sears, MD, and Martha Sears, RN (1995). My mom friend Lynn recommended this book to me while I was pregnant with my first child. Thirteen years later, it's still on my shelf. The husband-and-wife team explains everything that you know you should be doing but aren't -- as well as those things you had no idea would help you keep your sanity. "Disciplining Bothersome Behaviors" and "Spanking: No? Yes? Sometimes?" are just two of the chapters that I have highlighted so much the pages are wearing thin. It may have been published in 1995, but their theory is timeless.

2) "Couplehood," by Paul Reiser (star of the '90s sitcom "Mad About You"). This is a ridiculously hysterical look inside a marriage. Not only is every word hilarious, but the book is filled with truths you never knew existed in other people's marriages. I laughed so hard that my husband gave up trying to watch TV on more than one occasion. "A lot of couples shower together," writes Reiser. "It's supposed to be romantic and sensual. Truth? It's not all it's cracked up to be. Because one of you is not getting water. One of you, therefore, is not taking a shower." You can imagine where it goes from there. Way too funny!

3) "The Yada Yada Prayer Group," by Neta Jackson. This one had me laughing and crying all the way through its 385 pages. In no other book are an ex-con, a former drug addict, a real estate agent, a college kid and a wife and mom of two thrown into a succinct storyline that you can follow the whole way through as if you actually knew the people you were reading about. Little did Jodie Baxter, career good girl, know that this mishmash of new friends she didn't even think she wanted would come to her rescue in her biggest time of need ....

4) "If I Stay," by Gayle Forman. This has been borrowed by more people than I have ever loaned a book to in my life. I posted my awe of this story on Facebook the day I finished it, and immediately had a sort of sign-up sheet in the comments section of everyone who wanted to borrow it. When a tragic accident leaves Mia, the perfect teen, in limbo between life and death, she realizes that some of the things she'd lived for had been taken away. This book recounts one day of Mia's comatose life as she struggles to decide whether to stay or go -- to live or die. All I can say is, OMG!

5) "Because I Said So," by mommy-bloggersensation Dawn Meehan. This is theall-time funniest book I have ever read, and one I will forever keep two copies of. I would laugh so hard while reading this book that my children started begging me to read it to them. The authorhas six children, and the shenanigans she endured on any given day had our entire family in stitches. My son actually lent the book (my extra copy ... exactly why I keep two on the shelf) to his language arts teacher, and she ended up reading excerpts to her class. If you have ever had a disposable diaper explode in the washer, had your child bathe in maple syrup in a restaurant or promised yourself, "My child will NEVER do that," you need to get yourself this book. It will keep you giggling long after you put it down. The best part? Dawn's second book, "You'll Lose the Baby Weight (and Other Lies about Pregnancy and Childbirth)," is coming out in November. I have set up camp in the Barnes & Noble parking lot, waiting for that day!

next: Why Teens Shouldn't Be Vegetarians
Nita November 1, 2010, 5:45 AM

Oh honey just pre-order on amazon.com and pick release date shipping, then get excited and watch the mail!

High School Senior Ideas November 24, 2010, 11:36 PM

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:00 PM

Great job here. I really enjoyed what you had to say. Keep going because you definitely bring a new voice to this subject. Not many people would say what youve said and still make it interesting. Well, at least Im interested. Cant wait to see more of this from you.

Rail Height For A Deck December 11, 2010, 12:17 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Bridal Shower Menu Ideas And Recipes December 15, 2010, 1:43 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

Hotel Review December 18, 2010, 12:30 AM

good information we think to go on holiday these days.

Hotel Review December 18, 2010, 9:37 AM

thanks for it

Edna Drost December 29, 2010, 5:27 AM

Please, keep up the awesome work and continue to post topics like this. I am old fan of your site!

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 9:18 PM

I have been searching the WWW for this info and i wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Thank you

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 6:05 PM

Females generally speaking usually are not trying to shed enormous numbers of pounds typically. The majority of the men and women utilizing phen375 are only seeking to lose A few to be able to Twenty five pounds normally and also typically the belly fat. Nearly all are wholesome, go to the fitness center kind individuals. They just have not been able to drop fat deposits on their tummy or even have reached the Plato. Stomach fat issues typically begin to take place for girls at about the time associated with or right after giving birth and afterwards inside age pre and post menopausal. It appears going to women although presently there hormone levels are changing; it’s a normal procedure for life or perhaps is that? I will show you how the genuine excess fat kept in the tummy or even belly region is different as well as the a lot more you have from it the actual whores your hormone imbalance will end up.

de slabit January 11, 2011, 7:35 PM

I was been looking the WWW for such info and i wanted to thank u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Thanks

Unlock iPhone 3Gs 4.0 January 13, 2011, 8:28 PM

I am continually searching online for posts that can help me. Thx!

dark blonde hair color chart January 15, 2011, 12:35 AM

Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed.

bow window treatments January 25, 2011, 4:21 PM

Refreshing and I appreciate the effort you have made in publishing this article.very instructive. I wish there were additional websites like it. Anyhow, I felt it was around time I posted.I am not that much of a reader to be direct however your web sites pretty good quality, keep it up as I will bookmark ready for my next read.

zespół muzyczny wesela February 19, 2011, 2:13 AM

Interesting Posts, keep updating this topic, I would love to see more.. thanks

ottawa part time jobs March 12, 2011, 10:16 AM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

biuro podatkowe warszawa March 18, 2011, 2:32 AM

That Welcome Back video he posted, post a thread with that vid and let everyone name who are the bloggers that appear in the video.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:37 AM

It’s good too read your site again dude, i see some interesting updates here…

ślady kryminalistyczne April 9, 2011, 9:58 AM

It is truely interesting post, but I do not see everything completely clear, especially for someone not involved in that topic. Anyway very interesting to me.