Are You Ready for Some Football (Food)?!

Guest blogger JJ Virgin: Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that football season has arrived! NFL teams are already in the throes preseason play, and our favorite collegiate teams are gearing up to take the field starting this weekend. With football comes the opportunity to tailgate -- one of my favorite pastimes. There's nothing like the anticipation of a game, a group of friends and great food (well, sometimes the food is great).

vegetable kebab
Typical tailgating fare is notoriously unhealthy: chicken wings, hamburgers, kielbasas, greasy chips, etc. Below are some party options that will leave you feeling not only fulfilled, but ready to take on the opposing team! And best of all, they're kid-friendly, too!

Veggie Kabobs
Marinate colorful bell peppers, onions, zucchini and mushrooms with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, then throw them on the grill.

Chili
If football were a food, it would be chili! The steamy, warming soup is a favorite at tailgate parties and can make a guest appearance at yours, too -- as long as you agree to swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey and stock it chock-full of beans.

Buffalo-Chicken Skewers
Instead of serving chicken wings (which contain fatty skin and a pathetic amount of healthful meat), put lean chicken-breast meat onto skewers and brush it with buffalo sauce. Yumola!

Sub Sandwiches
An easy tailgate favorite, many subs are loaded with mayonnaise and cheese and contain fat-ridden cold cuts such as salami. Transform yours by using whole-grain bread and sliced turkey or chicken and trading the mayo for mustard.

Fruit Basket
For a sweet treat, fill a basket or bowl with whole or cut-up apples, grapes and pears. There's really nothing better than locally grown produce, so swing by a nearby farmer's market and check out their offerings. Biting into a crisp, fresh-off-the-tree apple is a little slice of heaven!

2010 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Celebrity nutrition and fitness expert JJ Virgin is the author of "Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy" and the costar of TLC's "Freaky Eaters" reality series. Visit her at www.jjvirgin.comto grab her free audio, "7 Steps to Break Your 'Freaky' Food Habits Fast & Forever!"

next: Boy Dies of Brain-Eating Amoeba in Lake
Online Banking Security October 18, 2010, 12:55 AM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

When are you going to post again? You really entertain me!

Vernetta Criley October 24, 2010, 9:18 PM

Anyhoo, I think you comprehend where I stand on that issue.

bachelorette party themes October 25, 2010, 5:36 AM

My good friend and I had been just talking about this particular subject, she is always wanting to prove me incorrect! I am about to show her this particular blog post and rub it in a little!

Tori Mansir October 26, 2010, 6:22 PM

Seeing a number your blogposts I really found this one to be very good. I’ve got a blog site as well and wish to repost some snips of your respective articles on my personal blog site. Should it be ok if I do that so long I personal reference your web blog or generate a back link towards the posting I took the snip from? Otherwise I am aware of and would never do it without your endorsement . I have book marked this valuable article to twitter along with facebook accounts for reference. Regardless thank you either way!

naklejki na sciane October 27, 2010, 6:43 AM

naklejki ścienne to wspaniałe dekoracje do mieszkania naklejki na ściany ornamenty architektura naklejki scienne

Julia Bixel October 27, 2010, 2:52 PM

After reading several of your articles or blog posts I actually found this specific one to generally be very good. I have a weblog also and would love to repost a number of snips of your respective articles in my personal blog. Should it be alright if I use this as long I personal reference your webblog or create a backlink to your posting I took the snip from? Otherwise I am aware of and could not do it with out your acceptance . I have book marked the article to twitter and also flickr account for reference. Anyway thank you either way!

Jacquetta Dure October 27, 2010, 5:36 PM

pertains to all kinds of.

Elmira Walezak October 28, 2010, 7:18 AM

It is part of their professional image.

Georgette Nybo October 29, 2010, 10:09 AM

That was about as much fun as a root canal.

Darren Sylva October 30, 2010, 8:44 AM

That can be found at an affordable price.

Alfred Auguste October 30, 2010, 7:48 PM

I also included a couple of viewpoints relating to in an earlier column.

Hannelore Avita October 31, 2010, 3:08 AM

I’m not trying to earn a quick dollar.

Dudley Roemmich October 31, 2010, 11:23 AM

can feed that fundamental need.

Tamera Bramasco November 13, 2010, 11:25 AM

I have been looking around via the internet trying to find some ideas on the way to get our blog site coded, your overall style and design are amazing. Did you code it yourself or did you get a coder to get it done for you personally?

Numbers Petgrave November 18, 2010, 8:52 AM

Total I imagine that is one thing to contemplate nonetheless it may possibly just be a little bit little bit of base. In my nation we should honer fabulous internet writers and I’m adoring your submit as I do contemplate it truly is extremely great.

Elin Hurns November 29, 2010, 9:57 PM

You need to understand that some nuts might be quite picky germane to but also let’s stop right there.

Eugenio Chauca December 2, 2010, 7:53 AM

Leave me a comment if you’re confused pertaining to.

Allen Vanholland December 6, 2010, 5:33 AM

I guess this was a well thought out plan.

Melissa McLaney December 6, 2010, 5:47 AM

It never rains but it pours