Boy Dies of Brain-Eating Amoeba in Lake

The CDC warns families to take precautions.

brain_eating_amoeba.jpg

Seven-year-old Kyle Lewis died last month after contracting a parasitic amoeba while swimming on a camping trip in Texas, reports KTLA. Doctors said Kyle contracted an infection from Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba that thrives in warm, stagnant water. He died within four days of contracting the rare infection. The boy's father says Kyle was a happy and active child until he fell ill after the fateful camping trip. He wants Kyle's death to be a lesson to other parents.

There have been three other amoeba-related deaths in 2010 in the U.S. In July, 10-year-old Liza Hollingsworth of South Carolina died from amoebic meningitis after swimming in a lake or pond. (Authorities aren't sure exactly where she contracted the deadly amoeba.) In August, 7-year-oldDavian Briggsdied of a confirmed case of Naeligeria after swimming in an Arkansas lake or pond. Also in August, Minnesota 7-year-old Annie Bahnemandied of meningitis caused by the amoeba after swimming in several different bodies of water in the state. (This was the first-ever reported case in Minnesota, and the first ever documented in a northern state.)

There have been other cases, too. In 2009, a 10-year-old boy died from a deadly amoeba in a Polk County, Florida, lake. The child, whose parents are both doctors, died of an infection of the central nervous system caused by a naturally occurring amoeba that causes the brain to swell. Three days after going inner-tubing, he got a headache -- and five days later, he was brain-dead. A 22-year-old Polk County man also died in 2009 from a deadly amoeba that officials believe he contracted at an Orlando watersports facility.

In 2008, a 9-year-old California boy died after contracting the amoeba while swimming in a lake.

In 2007, six young men (aged 10 to 22) died after swimming in lakes, ponds or under-chlorinated pools infested with the brain-eating amoeba, the CDC reports.According to WebMD, all six of the 2007 cases were in Florida, Texas and Arizona:

June 2007:Angel Arroyo Vasquez, age 15, of Orlando, Florida, contracted the amoeba while swimming in an apartment swimming pool.
July 2007:Will Sellars, age 11, also of Orlando, Florida, contracted it while swimming and wakeboarding in Lake Conway.
August 2007:Richard Almeida, age 10, of Kissimmee, Florida, contracted it while swimming and wakeboarding at the Orlando Watersports Complex.
August 2007:John "Jack" Herrera, age 12, contracted the amoeba while participating in water activities during summer camp at Lake LBJ in Texas.
August 2007:Colby Sawyer, age 22, contracted the amoeba while wakeboarding at Lake LBJ in Texas.
September 2007:Aaron Evans, age 14, contracted it while swimming in northeastern Arizona's Lake Havasu.

States where the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri(or N. fowleri) has caused disease include Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.

What is it -- and how does it kill?

The deadly disease caused by the brain-eating amoeba is technically termed "primary amoebic meningoencephalitis," or PAM. After the amoeba enters the nose, it finds its way to the olfactory nerve, then follows the nerve into the brain. The amoeba secretes enzymes and proteins that dissolve brain cells so it can suck up the debris. Victims usually die seven to 10 days after infection, although symptoms may not appear for up to 14 days.

Initial symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, inability to pay attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations. Death follows the first symptoms by three to seven days.

What can moms do?

The CDC recommends that families:

• Avoid swimming in warm, fresh water.
  • Wear nose plugs if you do swim in warm, fresh water.
  • Avoid digging or stirring up sediment while playing or working in warm waters.
  • Avoid thermally polluted water, such as the water near power plants.

Pediatrician Dr. Gwenn says there are a few additional precautions families should take:

• Avoid poorly maintained swimming pools. "When travelling, make sure the integrity of the pool is topnotch in terms of chlorination," she says. "Ordinarily I'm not an alarmist, but since we are in a recession, it is possible that people will decide to vacation on the cheap. So people not familiar with pools in poor shape may suddenly come face-to-face with one that comes complete with amoebas. Beware."
  • Skip the hot springs."People love swimming and exploring places they happen upon --like hot springs," she continues. "This may not be the best idea, given this CDC report."

"We don't want folks to panic, but it's important to be aware of the risks," Dr. Gwenn concludes. "With the rise of 'staycations,' many parents might not even know there is a risk that could be lurking in their own backyards."

next: This Week: Top 10 Stories Moms Are Talking About
CosmoGirl September 4, 2010, 3:59 PM

Please don’t take this article lightly, it IS meant to scare you. Please, please be careful and heed the warnings above.

kyle's mom September 5, 2010, 7:32 PM

i just stumbled across this looking to see if people are paying attention to the info…awareness is key and i appreciate you sharing this!! MOMS NEED TO KNOW!

Phil's Mama September 28, 2010, 2:36 PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for continuing to spread this information. My son was the 10-year-old boy who died after swimming in a Polk Cty lake 2009. The only reason he was diagnosed is because of a private autopsy paid for by Lifelink (he was an organ donor). The medical examiner had signed off on his case as “meningitis” without an autopsy (autopsies are not routine in most cases of illness). Amebic meningitis is rarely considered, not often tested for, requires an experienced laboratorian performing often labor intensive tests, and I believe, is probably well-underdiagnosed without autopsy. The only good treatment is not to become infected in the first place. No lake (a living ecosystem) during high temperature periods is truly “safe”. The only real protection, as with most things, is AWARENESS and informed decision-making.

I would give the whole world and all that I am to have my son living today. It was not worth it to let him go swimming in a lake. People live whole lives without swimming in a lake. For us, it is too late.

These children live in my heart, and my heart is with all of their parents. They are not forgotten.

Phil's Mama September 28, 2010, 2:37 PM

Aunt cissy sa tx October 26, 2010, 7:20 AM

Miguel Reyes 11yrs old passed away oct 18 2010 after a 3 month(in the hospital)battle with the brain eating ameoba we still do not know where he got it or when.

Kyle's Mom October 28, 2010, 2:05 PM

Cissy, I’m sorry for your loss and we know too well the pain you and your family are going through.
I’d like to hear about Miguels case. Kyle’s entire family is commited to spreading the awareness about Naegleria Fowleri.
You can contact me through the website we setup
www.kylelewisamoebaawareness.org

God bless and know you’re in my prayers

How To Tow Car November 25, 2010, 12:44 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Biuro podróży December 3, 2010, 9:35 PM

I just needed to say that I found your site via Goolge and I am glad I did. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to bookmark you for when I have more free time away from the books. Thanks again!

Dubaj last minute December 6, 2010, 12:43 AM

Dude, gimme more!

Usługi księgowe Warszawa December 6, 2010, 3:58 AM

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

Buy FB Fans December 9, 2010, 6:28 PM

Are any of you even reading what was posted? It seems people are simply posting as a result of they can. Nothing makes sense.

Mother Of The Bride Dresses December 11, 2010, 12:00 AM

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.

Serwis obiadowy December 12, 2010, 1:16 PM

Hi, was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. You, my friend, ROCK!!!

Kreta December 13, 2010, 2:42 AM

Brilliant post. You know I just got back together with my ex and this blog just made me even happier.

fitness music December 14, 2010, 12:51 AM

I appreciate your wp layout, where did you get a hold of it?

Meble ze stali nierdzewnej December 15, 2010, 4:46 PM

Nice Blog! Visit my site also!

9 9 Outboard Motor For Sale December 18, 2010, 12:54 AM

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

Promocja w Internecie December 24, 2010, 10:12 PM

I just found this blog a while back when a friend suggested it to me. I have been a regular reader ever since.

dating sites December 28, 2010, 7:03 AM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

erotyka December 28, 2010, 9:40 PM

Very funny posting, I especially like this article :)