Can an Affair Be a Good Thing?

Balthazar Getty's wife, Rosetta, experienced major public humiliation when her actor husband was caught cheating on her with actress Sienna Miller back in 2008. (They were photographed having romantic lunches and makeout sessions all over Europe while Rosetta was at home taking care of the Getty's four children.) Well, now the Gettys have reunited -- and their bond is reportedly stronger than ever. Rosetta is even saying that she understands why Balthazar cheated! Can cheating actually help a relationship?

Balthazar Getty and Rosetta Getty

In the latest issue of Harper's Bazaar, the Gettys talk about the affair, their marriage and their family. "Here's the bottom line," says Balthazar, 35. "It was a very challenging time for everybody involved, but I loved and missed my family too much not to make it work. Rosetta is understanding enough and spiritual enough to let us try. In a way, it ... I don't know ... I feel like we're better than we've ever been."

Rosetta explains, "I'm open to talking about it because I believe we go through things in a public way to help other people get through it. I'd love to talk about it more with people when I'm clearer about it. I'm going to have to explain this to my daughters one day. I chose not to act from ego because I just felt like it would be too crushing for my children."

Though there is no excuse for anyone having an affair, when there are children involved, things get complicated. Do you think staying together for the kids is a good thing?

next: Maximizing Relationships with Educators
Anonymous September 20, 2010, 1:18 PM

I don’t think an affair is ever good for a relationship, but some people manage to stay together and build a strong marriage afterwards. Anyone about to have an affair, though, should realize that most marriages fall apart or are damaged. You may not be lucky enough to be married to a saint who will truly forgive you.

MACHDOG September 20, 2010, 4:20 PM

WHEN YOU ARE MARRIED WITH CHILDREN IT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT DYNAMIC. I THINK TIGER’S WIFE
DID NOT CONSIDER THE CHILDREN WHEN SHE LEFT TIGER. SHE SAID THAT SHE TRIED TO GO BACK AND MAKE IT WORK BUT SHE WAS TO HUMILIATED AND COULD NOT FORGIVE HIM. WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS
LOVING THEIR DAD AND WANTING HIM TO BE IN THE HOUSE WITH THEM. YES! ROSETTA STAYED WITH
BALTHAZAR BECAUSE SHE LOVES HIM AND HER CHILDREN LOVE HIM! PLUS, HE LOVES ROSETTA AND HIS CHILDREN! WOMEN NEED TO THINK BEFORE THEY MOVE ON TO THE NEXT MAN WITH
THEIR HUSBANDS CHILDREN. WHAT MAKES THEM THINK THAT THE NEXT MAN IS DIFFERENT THAN
THEIR HUSBAND? WHEN YOU MARRY, YOU NEED TO
THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU HAVE CHILDREN. BLESS ROSETTA, DO YOU THINK SHE WAS NOT HEARTBROKEN? I WAS HEARTBROKEN FOR BOTH OF THEM AND THEIR CHILDREN. WE NEED TO GET OFF
OUR HIGH HORSES AND REALIZE THAT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THEIR GO I. IT COULD BE ANYONE
OF YOU MOMS OUT THERE THAT MAY BE NEXT.
SO STOP SAYING WHAT YOU WOULD DO IF YOUR
HUSBAND CHEATED ON YOU BECAUSE YOU DO NOT
KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD DO. I PERSONALLY HOPE YOU WOULD STAY AND LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE. ROSETTA, BALTHAZAR AND THEIR CHILDREN ARE A VERY CLOSE AND LOVING FAMILY.
ALL YOU MOMS SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF ROSETTA’S
BEHAVIOR, YOU MIGHT LEARN WHAT REAL HUMILITY, COMPASSION, AND LOVE FOR YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY MEANS. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH THE TOUGH GET GOING. THE TWO BIG F’S
ARE FORGIVENESS AND FAMILY. DO NOT PUT SO MUCH STORE IN FU####ING MEANINGLESS FLINGS.
ALWAYS THINK OF YOUR CHILDREN AND THEIR FEELINGS FIRST BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT MAKE THE DECISION TO STAY OR LEAVE. I ADMIRE YOU ALSO BALTHAZAR THANKS FOR RETURNING TO THE ROOST.

Carol September 21, 2010, 12:06 AM

Different situation. Tiger wasn’t ready/capable of being in a committed relationship. He flagrantly did not honor it.
Elin was right to leave. Their case is highly unusual becasue of the number of sex parnters Tiger had.

N September 21, 2010, 5:16 AM

Machdog - please go harass your baby mamas and get of this site, you make me ill

zahmom September 21, 2010, 5:43 AM

Machdog, please don’t use all caps when leaving a message. All caps implies that you are yelling and there is no reason for you to yell that much! And as far as women sticking it out for the sake of the children, I say that men should say faithful for the sake of their children then we women wouldn’t need to “take away” their children. Easy solution.

pastcheater September 22, 2010, 6:48 PM

I am a woman, married 20 years to my only boyfriend/husband. I had an affair that lasted 2 yrs. It was one of the best things I ever did, It was one of the worst. My husband does not know, and I stopped the affair almost 2 years ago. I have many wonderful memories, it was pasionate and romantic, and also increased my tattered self esteem, and dependance on my husband. It has also left me feeling guilty, and to be quite frank…longing… It was my choice, and the regrets are mine, but after reeling from so long from abuse, mostly emotional, (a counselor, who I saw, said I have been counseling 20 years and have only recommended divorce once in all those years, but after today It will be twice). I found that as I was less dependant on him for sense of worth, his value of me changed, I became valued and treated as I always had deserved. That holds true several years later. So would I recommend it? Nope..to risky..to those you love..to your psyche..to your convictions. The outcome has worked well for me….luck of the hand…I am not a gambler… and I could have just as easily lost and painfully and shamefully…

uselmAssund September 23, 2010, 6:21 PM

Servicing your air conditioner frequently will keep your energy charges down. The greater your air conditioning unit is running, the much less resources it’ll use, thus, saving you moeny on power bills. It really is also wise to maintain your unit routinely as opposed to pay massive repair costs when it finally breaks down. A service call is much cheaper than a replace the unit call. AC service Phoenix

inceriVek September 24, 2010, 10:45 AM

I have to admit, discovering a responsible moving company inside the Chicago-land region wasn’t as simple as it sounds. I called a ton of them and made them answer some fairly certain questions. I discovered that the a great deal more I inquired as to their abilities and strategies, the further defensive they all got. I about gave up unitl I discovered 1 that was more patient with me and my queries than I was. They were incredible. You’ll be able to discover them here Chicago Movers

Iron Doors September 27, 2010, 12:05 AM

Awesome post peter, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I see that nobody has lost their passion. Good to be back.

watch free movies online September 28, 2010, 2:56 PM

Brilliant web site, I hadn’t come across www.momlogic.com previously in my searches!
Carry on the great work!

pc games September 30, 2010, 3:06 AM

Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing …

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 2:56 PM

As a member with the fashion industry, I salute you.

austin root canal October 15, 2010, 11:30 AM

I am going to link my blog to this site. I think my visitors will locate it really beneficial given the well written subject matter. Thanks

wisconsin union theater madison October 25, 2010, 5:51 AM

This a really good writeup by you hope to read more very soon.

Summer Camps October 29, 2010, 10:04 PM

Maybe you should change the post subject Can an Affair Be a Good Thing? | momlogic.com to more catching for your content you create. I liked the the writing however.

videos divertidos October 30, 2010, 6:32 PM

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! really nice post

financial help November 5, 2010, 8:27 PM

I couldn t agree more! well done! financial help

wireless reading device November 8, 2010, 5:37 PM

Hey really nice website, I noticed your website when doing study on some methods to develop my web log. I was simply inquiring which spam software system you use for comments as I get tons on my site.

wireless reading device November 8, 2010, 5:38 PM

Thanks for sharing us informative ideas.

west covina zoom teeth whitening November 9, 2010, 12:59 PM

This is laid out very incredibly well and it is possible to see from the quality, that it has been researched and thought out quite nicely. I’ve bookmarked it and am going to forward it to others that i know will be extremely interested inside the information. My father is in this industry, he’ll love the way you laid out the facts, I’ve sent him your link. I have alos posted a permanent link on my site for other to discover this. It’s difficult for anybody to disagree with this, the information is fantastically put together.