Carrots Disguised as Junk Food?!

The baby-carrot industry is unveiling its first-ever marketing campaign. The aim: Make one of school lunches' most popular -- yet often uneaten -- items hip again!

carrots
Look closely at the new packaging. It resembles that of some of today's most popular junk food, doesn't it? Here's the reasoning: Given that today's kids have been dubbed the "junk- food generation," then maybe if a healthy food looks like junk, they'll be more likely to eat it!

USA Todayreports that the current marketing plan for the "new and improved" baby carrots may include:

• Packaging the veggies in Doritos-like bags. (Three different designs are planned.)
  • Selling them via cool school vending machines. (Tests are underway in Cincinnati and Syracuse, N.Y.)
  • Sporting slogans like this on billboards and packs: "The original orange doodles."
  • Touting seasonal tie-ins. (Coming this Halloween: "Scarrots"!)
  • Offering an iPhone app that's powered by the sound of folks munching carrots in real time.
  • Airing TV spots that tout baby carrots as "extreme".
What's next -- water in Diet Coke-ish cans? Apples in Hostess Cupcake-like packages?Moms, would you be willing to get behind this marketing scheme if it meant your kids would eat more veggies?

next: Back-to-School Is Sweet!
anonymous September 7, 2010, 12:05 PM

I’d go for it in a minute. Anything to get my picky eater to try more veggies.

Anonymous September 7, 2010, 7:33 PM

I think it’s genius. We’ve been needed an alternative method to get our kids to embrace healthy eating. This may be it! I used to feel embarassed as a kid for having a brown paper bag rather than that school lunch tray. I thought junk food was “cool”. So I can understand this, and support it!

Chelsey September 8, 2010, 11:14 AM

This idea is great! I pack my sons lunch everyday anyway because the school lunches are disgusting an not very nutritional.I love this idea,and know it would get my son to eat more veggies

Jennifer September 8, 2010, 11:22 AM

Too bad that baby carrots are soaked in chlorine & bleach to stay fresher longer. Ever wonder why they get slimey after awhile?

Google it. It’s true. My family got sick, real sick, and it was our doctor that informed us. Only purchase full size carrots now!

bwsf September 8, 2010, 11:28 AM

I can get behind ANYTHING that gets kids to eat better. Finally something good for us is getting some marketing attention.

Tony September 8, 2010, 11:57 AM

What is wrong with these parents letting their kids get away with out eating Vegs at home.
You train them young to eat whats in front of them for dinner. And if they don’t like the Vegs tough luck. You try to have vegs they enjoy but when you have some thats differnt they WILL eat it. When they become 16 years old then let the skip food they don’t enjoy. BUT till then they do what there told. Parents are such wimps.

Katie September 8, 2010, 12:24 PM

My kids eat when they are hungry and the first thing in front of them if fruits and veggies. I never put them on the plate with everything else because they won”t eat them. I also don’t force them to eat them. I just think if kids are hungry enough they’ll eat anything. Given a choice they’ll choose the good tasting stuff which usually isn’t the best. Sometimes I reward good veggie eating with a cookie, but that might be counterproductive. I don’t think disguising veggies is going to make kids eat more veggies…..it’s a new twist on an old trick but whatever….I’m for it.

Nancy September 8, 2010, 1:31 PM

I really believe if you start your child as a toddler to eat nourishing foods fixed in a way they like. In the case of carrots with lite dips or in a salad, they will get use to them and continue to eat them all their lives. Sitting down to eat as a family on a regular basis is also the key.

Dennis Moule September 8, 2010, 1:38 PM

Hey I am not a Mum but a Gran-pa. However I have to make a comment on this issue as it really concerns me and should concern you Mums. Beware the cute baby carrots in the prepackage. They started life as misinformed big ugly guys which run through a machine to make them all uniformed and then soaked in chlorine to keep them from browning in minutes. So what you think might be good for the little ones may put them at risk. Buy carrots with the dirt still on them. Get them some Bananas and tell them to bring home the peels to add to your Rose Garden. Avoid any processed vegetables and fruit until you fully know the process the big food corps don’t want you to know. Dating back to the first canned food we have been killing ourselves with toxins. My Daughter makes her own baby food and freezes portions in ice cube trays. She is due again in November with a little girl and like her brother this little one will receive no preservatives with just a little extra effort from Mom armed with a wealth of knowledge. Darn if kids don’t just get smarter than the last generation.

really September 8, 2010, 3:36 PM

I think it’s great! What took the marketing folks so long?? I think I want some scarrots right now…

Anonymous September 8, 2010, 8:11 PM

Jennifer - are you really continuing the rumor about baby carrots? Get your facts before you post nonsense.

julie September 8, 2010, 9:54 PM

Yahoo to the Gran-pa! What he said!

Brandi September 8, 2010, 10:05 PM

Jennifer & Dennis Moule- Why do you want to scare people into thinking good things will harm? Me and my family have eaten baby carrots forever and we are all fine. It might just be a bad dose that you guys got. It happens. Whole carrots brown as well. What about that? Just stop trying to scare people its not cool. Baby Carrots are good. Just like whole carrots. And i think that this idea is great. Kids/teens need to get more veggies. Awesome idea.

Melanie September 8, 2010, 11:16 PM

Well it is a little backwards thinking, but then again what isn’t when we have little ones to out smart right? We actually have tried this before by putting carrots in an empty cheetos bag for my son… it didn’t work. But it might eventually work especially if we remove more and more junk from their diets and lifestyles! I’d definitly give this at least one try!

valium December 1, 2010, 2:43 PM

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed.

Peruvian Guinea Pigs For Sale Melbourne December 18, 2010, 12:00 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

dieta japoneza December 27, 2010, 2:25 AM

I was beeing looking the google for this info and just wanted to thank u for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

slabire rapida December 27, 2010, 4:30 PM

I have beeing trying to find the Web for this information and just wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Regards

Bruce Larson December 28, 2010, 7:03 PM

You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most people will approve with your blog.

cura slabire January 2, 2011, 2:37 AM

I have beeing after the Internet for such info and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Regards