Clever Cooking ... or Too Frugal For You?

Recession Mama Michele Ashamalla: I'm all for saving energy and I'm a big multitasker, so when I heard that there are people who cook on their car engine while they're driving and in the dishwasher while they're running it, I have to admit I was entranced.

dishwasher
Here are a few recipes for the car that would have come in handy during my recent family roadtrip. (Talk about fuel efficiency!) The recipes are from a book entitled "Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!" by Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller. I can see myself throwing some turkey sausage on the engine, even if it's only to enjoy the reactions I get when I pull them out and hand them to my kids for a snack.

Now, the dishwasher cooking is another thing entirely. I would put that in the "not for the faint of heart" category. This fish recipe actually calls for lemon-scented soap (though it does say that it is not for the novice.) Apparently, there are some seasoned dishwasher chefs out there!

I would love to hear from anyone who has used these methods. In the meantime, I thought I would do a little project with the kids myself. We plan to make our own solar oven out of a pizza box. Since we'll need to eat the pizza first, it's really a project that appeals to all of us. And if the box gets dented, we might have to eat another one ....

next: Stepmoms Get a Bad Rap
MommyLisa September 2, 2010, 2:10 PM

just back away from the diswasher and the car.

Lindy September 2, 2010, 3:21 PM

Reminds me of the episode of Wings with the carbecue.

Jen September 2, 2010, 9:04 PM

I remember in girlscouts we built an outside oven with a box & foil. Know that was centuries ago but a pretty neat learning experience!

anita September 3, 2010, 1:41 AM

Remember the “Tool Time” episode where the construction workers taught Tim how to make a grilled cheese sandwich using a blow torch?

Shannon September 3, 2010, 7:34 AM

TOOL TIME I USE TO LOVE WATCHING HOME IMPROVEMENT!

Anonymous September 4, 2010, 9:19 AM

The Red Green Show had a thanksgiving episode about cooking the dinner in your car engine as you drove. I didn’t think anyone would do it for real.

Monica September 4, 2010, 8:36 PM

Saving money is nice but some things are just too frugal. Like saving you paper towel washing it and laying it out to dry to reuse it. Cooking on the car engine and in the dishwasher. YUCK!

boots sale September 7, 2010, 7:20 AM

I love it,Excellent article.I am decide to put this into use one of these days.Thank you for sharing this.To Your Success!

want to download full movies? September 11, 2010, 7:23 PM

Usually I do not article on blogs, but I need to say that this article very forced me to perform so! Thanks, quite nice article.

UM November 3, 2010, 9:14 AM

if you don’t give in to modern day children’s demands to provide everything they desire at the exact moment they desire it, they should be pretty grateful when you provide them with a cooked meal. How the cooking got done doesn’t matter. Food is food, that’s all there is to the matter. As for the girlscout person. My friends and I make ovens all the time when we go camping. Find some stone bricks around, pile them together, light a fire underneath and add a gril on top. That’s an excellent way to cook. Also, if you wrap potatoes and apples in foil, individually, not together, and put them in the flames, they’ll get roaasted.

Anna November 12, 2010, 4:00 AM

It seems to work almost as good as my Bosch dishwasher, cool!

Lynda November 30, 2010, 7:51 AM

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed.

garden diy January 1, 2011, 7:18 PM

Are you insterested in link exchange. I found it on Bing

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 9:28 AM

Great site. Enjoyable reading. I’ve just got a observation to submit about t-shirts.

key colony beach rentals January 11, 2011, 5:15 PM

I am planning a trip to Napa Valley for my sisters 40th birthday. She has been dying to go for years. We are looking to spend 3 nights in Napa and on night in San Francisco. We are looking for a house to rent. We would love to stay in Napa as we love the Cabs and Merlots. Can you be of any help. Thanks a mill!Regards~Sue

Visit Teton Valley January 14, 2011, 12:59 PM

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

nolvadex 20 mg January 18, 2011, 2:40 AM

Marriages are made in heaven

north face down jackets mens January 19, 2011, 2:17 AM

I like your weblog, just bookmarked it!

North Face Gloves January 19, 2011, 9:59 AM

Nickelodeon is my no. 1, it is really coming to lifestyle fantastically on display screen as well.Thanks Armin and co. for years really worth of entertaining studying.

north face denali hoodie womens January 20, 2011, 12:19 AM

Ditto! I’ve recognized th is d isease: Prom iscuous Brand Creativity.