Today, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warned parents to STOP using infant sleep positioners. Inez Tenenbaum, chairman of the CPSC, says they have had 12 reports in the last 13 years of babies who died when they suffocated in a positioner or became trapped and suffocated between the positioner and the side of a crib.
Joshua Sharfstein, MD, the principal deputy commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), says the FDA's goal is to make sure that parents are educated on the suffocation risks of infant sleep positioners and to urge parents to stop using them immediately.
Eighteen infant sleep positioners were cleared by the FDA in the past, to reduce the risk of acid reflux or prevent flat-head syndrome. But the FDA says they now believe that the modest benefits DO NOT outweigh the risks. Five of the manufacturers have said they will stop marketing the infant sleep positioners, and the others have been asked by the FDA not to sell their products.
Rachel Moon, MD, chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics' Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Task Force, says, "I well understand why parents have chosen to use positioning devices -- many parents believe they keep their babies safe. However, at least twelve babies have died in these positioners. We see no scientific evidence that these sleep positioners reduce the risk of SIDS."
The CPSC says this is not a recall with a replacement or a refund; this is just a warning to parents to STOP USING INFANT SLEEP POSITIONERS IMMEDIATELY.
Do you use infant sleep positioners? Will you stop using them now?