'Dear Republicans: Nobody Likes a Sore Loser!'

Guest blogger Kimberly Seals Allers: Dear Republicans: Nobody likes a sore loser, especially when your loss means that 32 million Americans without health insurance will actually win.

woman writing
I was really troubled to read recent news reports that Republicans are now planning to chip away at healthcare reform if they cannot dismantle it completely. Their plan is to choke off appropriations funding for key pieces, since House approval is required to pass such spending. This just reeks of childishness and poor sportsmanship.

If an NBA player lost the playoffs and then trash-talked the winning team and tried to dismantle their win, he would be blasted for bad sportsmanship and pooh-poohed as a sore loser. If my 6-year-old son lost a soccer game and then tried to kick dirt on the other team, he would likely be benched for a few games, and I would certainly be expected to give him a stern talking to about accepting loss and moving on. I'm not sure why this basic childhood lesson has escaped much of the Republican party.

They refuse to accept that the majority of American people have spoken, through their elected representatives. They refuse to accept that saying healthcare reform is too expensive and then offering tax cuts to corporations and the super rich is just plain silly. They are more focused on bruised egos and not letting President Obama have any accomplishments, even if hardworking freelance workers like myself are among those who suffer. After all, who cares about the uninsured?

Please, leave it alone. Move on. Even House Republicans acknowledge that a full repeal might pick up a few Democratic votes, but the effort would fail in the Senate. In fact, their strategy could backfire with consumers, particularly if it threatened popular provisions (such as allowing children to stay on their parents' insurance plans until they turn 26).

In case you haven't noticed, dear Republicans, there's a huge fracture in your party that desperately needs your attention. It's called the Tea Party (or "teabaggers," if you like Bill Maher). Instead of trying to keep millions of Americans from getting cost-effective health coverage, spend your energy repairing your party from the inside. Or how about you propose a real plan for America, preferably one that doesn't leave the elderly to die, the unemployed to sink and millions of hardworking independent contractors without affordable healthcare coverage?

In the meantime, please take a lesson from any local 8-year-old and learn how to take your wins and losses in stride.

next: Unless I Ask, Don't Give Me Parenting Advice
Anonymous September 28, 2010, 7:19 AM

Wow, you’re a little smug aren’t you? First off, the “millions” without health care includes illegal immigrants and it’s not my place to pay for their insurance. Secondly, if you haven’t heard yet, some insurance companies are finding ways around this new hc plan by just dropping kids altogether (previous post by ML) also insurance companies are already increases the price to people who are already paying for it. Mine insurance company just sent out a letter saying my insurance will be increasing $68. per month…yeah that fair. This new hc law doesn’t “fix” what is wrong, it just gives insurance to people who don’t pay for it themselves and makes the people who do actually pay for it, pay more.

Anonymous September 28, 2010, 8:00 AM

Dear Democrat, you will be a sore loser come 2012! Goodbye 1 term President Obama!

QueenBee September 28, 2010, 8:10 AM

ya cause democrats have never tried to hide their agenda in between the lines of proposed bills…….(*cough cough adding amnesty for illegals in a defense bill *cough cough) which makes republicans say “hey wait a minute, this isnt right. dont vote for sneaky/shady politics”
to me that seem pretty devious and snakelike. so i guess republicans are immature and democrats are sneaky snakes?????
Dear Democrats: Nobody likes a snake in the grass!

Robin September 28, 2010, 8:19 AM

The health care bill is worse than useless and will cause more problems than it solves. What we NEED in health care are laws stopping the monopolies on insurance by state (ever notice you only have one or two choices for providers? That’s because of lobbyists at the state level getting it locked up.) and tort reform so that doctors can actually afford to practice medicine without so many frivolous lawsuits.

D September 28, 2010, 8:24 AM

What’s wrong with trying to first fix the reasons behind why health care is so expensive? Instead let’s just create another government program - they do have such a great track record after all. (Hope none of you are counting on social security!) I for one am glad someone is trying to reform a bill that will cost us ALL billions of dollars & that doesn’t make anyone a sore loser.

catty September 28, 2010, 9:41 AM

whithehouse needs to be cleaned out top to bottom

michelle September 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

I love this post. It’s so true that the Republicans want to turn back the clock to a dysfunctional system while having NO GOOD IDEAS as to how to fix it themselves (by the way, Robin, the ability to buy insurance across state lines is not a real solution — it would do very little to change anything). They just want to keep things the same so they can please their insurance industry lobbyists. And also people should stop whining about illegal immigrants. They’re not and never have been eligible for any government health care. You are, however, already paying for their health care via higher medical costs. That is the system Republicans want to keep. Good luck with that.

siditty September 28, 2010, 11:16 AM

Thank goodness someone said this. The republicans had 8 years to do this, two years with a majority and did nothing. Oh their answer was to privatize medicare part d. They swore it would cost less and reduce fraud. It cost more and fraud increased. Their answer was to make the corporations richer and not fix the issue.

The health care bill does not cover illegal immigrants and illegal immigrants are already getting healthcare. This bill protects insured people and is not just for those who don’t want to work. I come from insurance. I’ve been a claims manager and an underwriter (aka write policies in healthcare) This bill protects those who had insurance and were dropped because they became sick. This protects insured people who have to file bankruptcy because their policy has a lifetime limit and they became sick and hit this limit. It protects women from being excluded from future policies because they had a c-section.

This protects children who are born with pre-existing conditions.

It isn’t just about people “too lazy” to cover their own insurance, but rather those who are turned away because they aren’t profitable to insure. If the insurance industry wasn’t so shady to begin with, healthcare wouldn’t be in the current mess it is in.

michelle September 28, 2010, 11:33 AM

One more thing…this bill is basically only a band-aid on the huge problem of our health care system. The bill should have had a public option. The reason it didn’t is because Democrats tried to compromise with Republicans. The irony is that the Republicans want to repeal this watered-down bill anyway. So as we can all see, it is useless to compromise w/ Republicans, and Democrats should do whatever it takes to increase their majority in Congress so we can pass effective laws without having to deal w/ the whining, destructive minority.

Robin September 28, 2010, 2:55 PM

@Michelle,
Being able to purchase insurance from more than two companies in you area encourages COMPETITION and the result is more competitive rates. That is the whole point of anti-trust laws that are being circumvented by lobbyists and politicians for the gain of a insurance companies.

KS September 28, 2010, 7:37 PM

Wait, did you miss the bush years or just refuse to recognize the disparaging remarks made by the democrats throughout both terms. HMMMM pot meet kettle. Yet again mom logic seems to have very little logic and is sufficiently lacking in real information. Especially when it comes to these magical insured you are talking about.

Did you hear about the insurance companies jumping on the chance to refuse thousands of CHILDREN health insurance. Or the fact that people are not just whala insured but forced to carry insured under threat of sanctions by the federal government. Yeah I’m sure you did but conveniently you would like to leave all of that out of this conversation.

Katie September 28, 2010, 8:50 PM

Just waiting for this guy to get out of office! He slid that Healthcare bill on to the table so quietly, that it was passed before many people could question it. Sneaky!
The only people I know who plan to use it are people who are uninsured now. I certainly don’t plan to use it, but I know that I am going to be paying for my own insurance and now for lots of other people’s too. Awesome…..

Meggan September 30, 2010, 1:38 AM

@Katie I highly doubt anyone would think they could sneak in a huge new bill. Don’t be ridiculous.

You know for all of you who talk about how bad this is you certainly don’t seem to have to deal with being poor and without health care.

My parents and I are U.S. citizens. I’m nineteen, going to school full time and have fibromayalga. My parents worked all their lives before both became physically disabled from work related injuries. However only my father qualifies for disability. Not only does my father require constant treatment and medication, so do I.

We have to pay for my father’s medications half of the time which come to about a grand a month. My mother goes without any health insurance because we cannot afford it. My family is using up all their savings on daily living and over time their life’s work has dwindled down to a small amount of money.

So go ahead and ignorantly side with your parties. It doesn’t matter which side you’re on. The issue is how will the health care plan affect your family?

The health care plan isn’t without its flaws but we need to start somewhere. People are sick and cannot afford to see doctors. Get off your high horses and see how the rest of the country lives. Then just maybe you could understand why there are people pushing for this. Otherwise just go on being more fortunate and unappreciative of it.

Anonymous September 30, 2010, 2:21 PM

Just imagine being able to see a doctor and not having to pay for it.

Imagine going to hospital for surgery, or to give birth, or to have melanoma dealt with and not having to pay for it.

Imagine raising children and never, ever, having to think, “If they have an accident, how much will it cost?” This is how people in so many other countries around the world live. I’m a healthy person, my tax money goes to support the sick people around me. I am happy for it to do so, because I know that one day if I do get sick, the money will be there to take care of me in return.

Anonymous October 1, 2010, 5:36 AM

32 million Americans without health insurance will actually win.

I think she meant to say 32 million illegals, lazy welfare families and those who just plain don’t want to work will now get free healthcare paid for by those of us who work.

Yes Kimberly, obviously something to be proud of.

Anonymous October 2, 2010, 11:16 PM

If you didn’t know, many of the people you listed already get free healthcare. The more you know…

Casino Online December 29, 2010, 2:55 PM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my very first comment. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this website very often and keep learning more about SEO.

Juegos de Casino December 31, 2010, 7:15 PM

I just wanted to say that I found your blog via Goolge and I am glad I did. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to bookmark you for when I have more free time away from the books. Thanks!

Guia de Compras Panama January 2, 2011, 10:10 PM

You can tally me in for a Digg. Thanks for posting this on your SEO website, it has been very imformative…and thats from a Harvard student! :)

Lee Pasko January 3, 2011, 4:34 PM

Thank you for the absorbing read! Happy New Year and keep up the good work in 2011!