Does Everyone Hate Back-to-School Night, or Is It Just Me?

Guest blogger Kate Meyers: The only thing I dread more than back-to-school night is the idea of going on a Disney cruise. Both promise claustrophobia and inane conversation. Give me dental work over those two any day!

Just think: If we all boycotted back-to-school night, they wouldn't have to have it, and I wouldn't have to go. OK, I get that that's magical thinking, but I don't even feel the slightest twinge of guilt for not going. This is amazing, because a) I'm Jewish and b) I'm a mother. In fact, I think back-to-school night is an idea so ill-conceived that I relish my deviance.

woman screaming

My reasons are myriad. First on the list: Just because my children have to sit in uncomfortable chairs in rooms without windows and listen to an authority figure speak doesn't mean I should have to.

Second, what is accomplished? Do they think I'm dumb enough to believe that the teachers are on their "normal" behavior when facing a room full of parents? Am I supposed to get a feel for these educators in a seven-minute spiel? And I'm sorry, but don't you experience the repressed desire to throw the parents who keep asking questions out the window? The whole thing is worse than speed dating!

Finally, does anyone ever come out of those nights feeling like it was time well spent? Please get me a beer and a television, so I can watch an episode of "Friday Night Lights" and see what really goes on in high school.

next: Win a 'Spaceheadz' Prize Pack!
Beth September 22, 2010, 6:27 AM

Is this serious? Nice attitude. Try being excited about engaging in your child’s school atmosphere. It’s what, an hour, at most? Nice way to encourage your child to be excited about school as well. It’s not meant to be a fully encompassing view of the teacher, it’s an introduction- a way to engage you for future communication, see where your child will be spending his/her time and the person with whom that time is spent. Clearly that probably not important to you based on this rambling…

Mom IS Teacher September 22, 2010, 6:34 AM

“Just because my children have to sit in uncomfortable chairs in rooms without windows and listen to an authority figure speak doesn’t mean I should have to.”

I know this a humor post, but if this is how you feel, might I suggest homeschooling? Then NO one has to sit in a crowded room with no windows for an interminable length of time listening to “drone.”

Robin September 22, 2010, 12:44 PM

I get where the poster is coming from. Teachers are very rarely actually engaging at these things. They have their speech, then they want you to go. If you try to talk to them about personal concerns about your child you get brushed off.
I have to do a lot of advocating for my child because he is extremely advanced academically but doesn’t have the emotional maturity to skip ahead and is a lefty struggling with some of the writing. He reads chapter books and does algebra and they send him home with the letter A and the color RED. We are working on an alternative with the school right now.

Rita September 22, 2010, 1:24 PM

Nice support there Alpha Mom

Mary September 23, 2010, 3:20 PM

I have been very few of these where they were actually OK. Usually the info could have been sent home with my child and I could have read it much faster and it would have been over with. I understand that today’s parents are different than the parents when I was growing up, they’re more involved, but sometimes it’s a little too much. There are hundreds of people outside the school every morning when my son gets dropped off. There are only 1000 kids K-12 in the district. It’s common to see Mom & Dad, pushing a stroller and walking the dog & drinking their morning coffee while taking their child to school, it’s a family event. The whole family is there to drop off and pick up. We have Open House, Curriculum Night, etc. I hear so many parents complain about it, but it’s always a hushed whisper instead of speaking up to the district. I never understood that, so many hate it but pretend not to.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 2:12 PM

Thanks for your penmanship. I am a business enterprise professor in Barcelona and have passed the post to my classmates.

Merchant Services December 23, 2010, 5:36 AM