Does LeAnn Rimes Need Stepparenting 101?

Guest blogger Kate Tuttle: I don't really follow LeAnn Rimes, though I remember when she first made her name as a super-young singer with a super-big voice. Apparently she caught herself a married man who has two sons from his first wife, and Rimes and her new husband share custody of the kids with the ex. They all landed on thegossip pagesrecently because the ex, Brandi Glanville, called LeAnn a "bad parent."

LeAnn-Rimes250.jpg

Glanville was ticked at Rimes for not informing her that son Mason, 7, had gone to the emergency room. According to Glanville, Rimes somehow found time to tweet about the event, however -- which is how she found out that her son had been injured.

One of my two children is from my first marriage, so I have an ex with whom I share custody. He has never remarried, so there's no stepmother in this case. But my husband is my daughter's stepparent, so I feel like I'm fairly well-versed in the whole situation of co-parenting, stepparenting and the various complex fallouts from divorce.

Here's what I've learned (Gisele, you can listen too!): As a divorced parent, your primary contact about anything involving the children is the kids' other parent -- i.e., your ex. Your primary contact is NOT the ex's new spouse, a person you naturally might have mixed feelings about (particularly if the marriage ended with infidelity, which I take is the case with Rimes).

As a stepparent, your job is to care for and nurture the children to the best of your ability. Love will come over time, as will your familiarity with who the children are as people. If something happens to the children while they're under your care, by all means, communicate with the kids' parents -- but see above. It's probably best to always let the parents work out issues themselves. No matter what, it's never OK to use Twitter to report on a child's accident or illness before you've informed the kid's parents -- both of them.

I'm not trying to take sides, but it's also probably not a good idea to say (as Rimes did in a gossip magazine), "I treat those boys like they are my own, because that's how I love" -- especially since that attitude is apparently how she ended up with stepchildren in the first place!

next: Do It Yourself!
Maggie September 29, 2010, 7:44 AM

@Kate: LeAnn is the father’s MISTRESS, NOT his Wife. Important factor you got wrong that impacts the mistress actions. LeAnn IS NOT a Step Parent! Sooooo much more about can be told about LeAnn’s disrespect towards the real mother than in this blog!

Anonymous September 29, 2010, 7:56 AM

Sorry, it is up to the father to call and tell her….they are the parents. if leann and her are on good terms, then she could call, but otherwise, it’s the ex-husband/father i believe should have called.

Traci September 29, 2010, 9:28 AM

Can we STOP perpetuating the ridiculous evil stepmother myth? First off, she is NOT the bio parent— it was DAD’S responsibility to contact his ex. Period. Second, it’s crap she can’t tweet about it. Of course she can. All of us tweet about major and minor events in parenting.

Britt September 29, 2010, 9:58 AM

Traci - you are wrong. It is not LeAnn’s place to tweet about another women’s child when that women has spefically told them both NOT to.

It is also her responsibility to keep her mouth shut until the mother is informed. By the way, the child’s mother is the fathers CURRENT wife - not ex. She won’t be his ex until the divorce is final - which it is not.

She should also avoid using someone else’s children for photo opportunities. It’s disgusting as is she.

Kel September 29, 2010, 2:16 PM

I agree with Traci. The writer of this article also got many things wrong. They DID let Brandi know about what happened. Brandi is perpetuating this “jilted” woman act in the media and ignorant people are falling into it. LeAnn has offered to be on amicable terms with Brandi, and Brandi keeps playing the “angry ex” role.

deb September 29, 2010, 3:08 PM

@ Kel and you know this how? Did LR call you personally to give you the low down?
Amicable!! did you say that with a straight face? I’ll believe LeAnn is amicable when she stops tweeting about Brandi’s YES Brandi’s boys like Brandi has already asked her to.

Candice | Avoid Divorce September 29, 2010, 11:56 PM

Celebrities are not safe too on the rising occurrences of divorce and with paparazzi all around them, divorce among celebrities get more hype and publicity. Know more about divorce issues and complications at http://divorcenation.com

gwen September 30, 2010, 9:23 AM

Kel and Traci are none other than Leann Rimes. She visits these sites because as she has told us so many times, she does not care what we think.

I agree with the article and it is sad to see that some sites (JJ, x17, and People mag, and Dailymail) actually reinforce Leann bad behavior. Leann is just too scared to let Brandi and Eddie parent those kids because she doesn’t trust Eddie to be faithful. Why should she, seeing as how she was cheating with him and meeting him at hotels.

Leann tweets about those kidsevery sec, even going so far as to call them her kids or her family, this is even after the kids’ mother asked her to stop tweeting about them and AFTER Eddie has said several times that he doesn’ want his kids exposed to the media.

Anonymous September 30, 2010, 9:25 AM

Kel(aka Leann)

Brandi wouldn’t have to play the angry ex if you would stop getting in the way of her and Eddie parenting those kids just because you can’t trust him to be faithful. Stop tweeting about HER kids and then using them to taunt her. Stop going out of your way to dress like BG and even wear your hair like hers.

gwen September 30, 2010, 10:29 AM

You should also do a piece about why Leann continues to tweet about those kids after their mother asked her to stop talking about EVERY detail concerning those kids to complete strangers on a public forum(and after Eddie has said several times that he doesn’t want his kids exposed to the media) and why she keeps calling those kids hers boys or her family when she isn’t even married to Eddie.

Leannsux September 30, 2010, 4:04 PM

Leann is a horrible demon. She belongs in hell.

Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 3:48 PM

Outstanding write-up, keep the great work.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 3:52 PM

Excellent information. Thank you, very well written article.

marbella real estate December 10, 2010, 5:12 AM

I really like your reading. I appreciate your effort, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

tudung bidang 60 December 17, 2010, 6:54 AM

Is there anymore information you can give on this subject. It answers a lot of my questions but there is still more info I need. I will drop you an email if I can find it. Never mind I will just try the contact form. Hopefully you can help me further.

Crayola December 17, 2010, 8:21 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in our neighborhood. Your site provided us with valuable information to help us get started|.You have done a marvellous job!

Hinkley Outdoor Lighting December 17, 2010, 8:43 AM

Fine information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and best of luck!

افلام سكس December 17, 2010, 10:59 AM

What a wonderful idea. I am not totally sure if that is true, but who knows. Would you be kind enough to write another post, but from the opposing vantage point

Football Video Highlight December 17, 2010, 7:57 PM

I like this weblog very much, Its a real nice spot to read and get information.

Baby Store December 18, 2010, 1:01 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but I’m glad I visited. I will post a link to this site on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.