'You're Not Pregnant': Age 25 vs. Age 45

Guest blogger Dani Klein Modisett: "I had to meet with you because I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant and you're one of my closest friends and I know you're a Christian and I wanted to tell you in person that if I am, I don't know what I'll do. I'm 25 and single and I have no way to support a child, but ... I don't know."

pregnancy test
My voice and hands were shaking when I said those words 20 years ago. I got my period the next day, but the terror I felt at the thought of trying to raise a baby on my own has stayed with me. I was reminded of it recently when, now well into my 40's, I once again was sure that I was facing another unplanned pregnancy.

It's not really important why I thought I was pregnant, or the fact that I may have manufactured all the symptoms. OK, I'll tell you: I had gone to see a psychic this summer, because I was freaked out that both my kids would be in school in September and I still don't seem to know what I'm going to be when I grow up. She told me she saw a baby floating around me. She said "the spirits" were trying to send me this baby, and if we weren't trying to have another child, we should be careful. I laughed in her face, because my second baby was IVF, and naturally we haven't used birth control in four years. (I'm ancient in maternity years.)

None of those details matter, unless you are my husband and we're divorcing and you're suing for custody of our children based on the fact that your soon-to-be-former wife IS CRAZY.No, what matters is that for two weeks this summer, I fully believed that I was with child. I was nauseated, my skin was glowing and everything smelled revolting. And then I got my period.

Unlike my brush with motherhood in my 20's, feelings of relief did not envelop me like a warm blanket of fudge sauce when I learned the truth. I actually felt very sad. Not for the loss of the imagined baby (although that was part of it), but for the realization that not only was I not pregnant, but I never would be again.

In the weeks since then, I have shared the story of my "hysterical pregnancy" with a few women -- some mothers, some not -- and have been surprised to hear that everyone in her 40's that I talked to had had exactly the same experience (minus the psychic). Each recalled a missed period or hormonal irregularity that had made her feel she was pregnant, followed by a day or two of bleeding and the deeply sad realization that she was never going to have a baby again (or, in some cases, ever).

I really don't want to chase a toddler at 50, and yet there is something so final about this door being closed forever. But I'm hoping that my two boys love babies as much as I, and that they start early. Maybe not Bristol Palin early, but then again ....

next: Cyberbullying: A Back-to-School Survival Guide
Anonymous September 7, 2010, 6:12 AM

get over it

mdmomma September 7, 2010, 11:05 AM

I was enjoying your post until you had to (for no reason) throw in that dig at Bristol Palin. Maybe you need to get your mental age caught up to your physical age.

Nikita September 7, 2010, 12:26 PM

@mdmomma: There’s something wrong with wanting your children to have an education and a steady healthy marriage before having children of their own? I smell a bitter Republican in our midst…

mdmomma September 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

Nikita, not that I need to explain it to you but I am and have been since I could vote (now in my 40’s) a register democrat. That doesn’t take away from the fact that she did not need to bring in Bristol Palin on a post she was writing about menopause. And no, there is nothing wrong with wanting your children to have an education and be married before having kids but in case you haven’t noticed, today’s kids barely do either before having kids. I can tell you that I am amazed at how quick you have judged me and you don’t even know me. It also amazes me how every issue these days has to be either left or right, how about instead of worrying where I stand on issues, you worry more about treating everyone with respect regardless of their political view. I for one take an offense when anyone is being treated unfairly and picked on. We are all humans and we all make mistakes, the secret is to learn from our mistakes and while doing so, learn compassion for others as well.

Ashley September 7, 2010, 2:05 PM

I thought the Bristol Palin comment was funny and meant to be so. Most people, if not every person who reads this article knows who she is and what she is known for. She is a teenager who went through her pregnancy very publicly and continues to put her life on display for the world. Its not like she pulled the name of some random teenage mother out there. She took a name that everyone knew. Its NBD! It wasn’t even the point of the article. Sheesh.

Dani Klein Modisett September 7, 2010, 7:19 PM

Yes, I was in fact just using a reference of someone we all know who had a child early. No offense meant at all, in fact in the context of the article, I am, (albeit with tongue in cheek), admiring the younger Palin. Good to be reminded that sharp tongues cut to the quick. Apologies to young mothers everywhere, Republican, Democrat or whatever. Dani

Birthday Cakes For Th Birthday December 12, 2010, 12:21 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Massive Passive Profits December 12, 2010, 4:16 PM

These are truly great examples! Thanks for sharing. A weblog really owes its success to its loyal readers and faithful followers.

Hannah December 21, 2010, 9:07 AM

fantastic article – looking forward to Part 2.

varice December 27, 2010, 2:28 AM

I was beeing searching the WWW for such info and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Thank you

centura slabit December 27, 2010, 3:54 AM

I have been looking the WWW for this information and i wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

de slabit January 2, 2011, 3:40 AM

I have beeing after the Internet for such information and just wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 11:34 PM

I was been after the WWW for this info and i wanted to thank u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Breast enlargement without surgery January 8, 2011, 9:40 PM

There’s noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

cura slabire January 11, 2011, 9:49 AM

I was beeing looking the Internet for such info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

iq test January 19, 2011, 12:03 PM

I was been after the WWW for this information and i wanted to thank u for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

bay window treatment January 21, 2011, 8:06 PM

You have some good ideas there. I did my own web search on the issue and found the majority people will have the same opinion with your site. Thanks once more for putting this up. I unquestionably loved every bit of it.

Julia Wyse February 1, 2011, 12:39 AM

This is a very helpful piece. Many Thanks for sharing.

Roy Holstege February 6, 2011, 8:32 AM

Great info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thx :)

seahorses gulf of mexico February 8, 2011, 1:18 PM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.