Should Schools Offer Flavored Milk?

Guest blogger Kate Tuttle: There is a battle brewing nationwide. It centers on school lunch programs and whether or not they should offer flavored milk as well as plain milk.

chocolate milk
On one side of the argument are those who say that kids who don't like white milk should have the option to drink chocolate or strawberry milk, because even though those milks have a much higher sugar count, they still deliver the calcium and Vitamin D for which milk is most valued. (And hey, they're better for kids than soda pop or fruit juices.)

On the other side are those who argue that the high sugar of flavored milks makes them an unhealthy choice that schools shouldn't be promoting. Kids who won't drink white milk should drink water, they say.

And then there are the folks who don't think schools should be offering milk at all; they claim that milk has been promoted as a necessary food by the powerful dairy lobbies, not based on nutritional evidence.

It should also be noted that the concept of milk as a healthy food has increasingly found itself at the epicenter of various food battles, whose factions range from those who say "cows' milk is for calves" and that kids should only drink soy or nut milks, to those who think cows' milk is OK, but only if it's raw, unpasteurized or organic, to those who feel that offering milk is a very efficient, cost-effective way to get calcium and Vitamin D into young kids.

Where do you stand on the dairy wars?

next: Stepmom vs. Stepdad: The Double Standard
Jayde September 8, 2010, 5:49 PM

I think milk is ok and chocolate milk is the only way i drank milk as a little kid, one in high school i started drinking white milk. I do drink milk today but its from organic cows, not a fan of soy or nut milk but that is my personal choice. My kids who are home all day have at least on glass of milk a day and yes I add chocolate syrup and it doesnt harm them

cyndi September 8, 2010, 5:51 PM

This is just another example of big brother trying to regulate every breath we take. I have teenagers who won’t touch white milk, but will drink chocolate till the cows come home—pun intended,lol! Therefore, I keep chocolate in the house because I would much rather they drink milk than soda or other junk. Lighten up!

Janet from The Green Mom Review September 8, 2010, 7:26 PM

I don’t care that school milk is flavored. I do care that it’s sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which has been linked to a host of health disorders including obesity and Type 2 diabetes and has been found to contain mercury.

I also care that school milk (unless it’s organic) contains bovine growth hormones (synthetic estrogens given to cows to force them to produce more milk) and thus, antibiotics (because cows that are given growth hormones require antibiotics for their infected udders, a side effect of milk over-production—GROSS!)

Krista September 9, 2010, 9:09 AM

Let them have chocolate milk, my daughter’s daughter said its fine.

bertha September 9, 2010, 1:23 PM

It seems to be a personal choice for parents/families. Personally, I think if a parent is particular about what her child eats, then she would not allow her child to have hot lunch in the first place. Most often the hot lunches are not the most nutritious choice available.

I agree with comments made in regard to HFCS and non-organic milk.

Jacqueline R Banks September 9, 2010, 7:24 PM

Enough of the food police! The regulators who think they knowwhatis best for everyone were not satisfied with at first limiting smoking,then banning it everywhere. Now they’re touching upon the very food we put in our mouths. America, wake up! We are heading into the clutches of a dictatorship! We are losing our freedoms piece by piece.

Jacqueline R Banks
afinepieceofchocolate.com

Nicole  September 13, 2010, 9:13 AM

My son is autistic and the only way I can get him to drink milk is if it is flavored. He is such a picky eater that I am HAPPY to let him drink it! I am so sick of this world we live in! Give it a rest!!!!!

Shannon Kay September 18, 2010, 7:46 PM

I don’t understand why there are no other drink choices for kids eating school lunches. I think milk is okay, but not necessary and I wouldn’t make my kids drink it. I don’t care if other kids drink milk, chocolate or otherwise, but why can’t bottled water be offered or something?

Many children can’t have milk(my younger sister had bad asthma), but everyone can drink water and there’s no argument about it’s nutrition.

Holly October 3, 2010, 4:11 PM

REALLY? Comparing regulating sweets in schools is akin to removing smokers abilty to share toxic cigarette smoke with me and my children? nice comparison, all sarcasm intended. Drinking chocolate milk isnt poisoning the innocent person next to them. What a selfish, selfish comment you have made. GAG

Buy Facebook Fans December 9, 2010, 4:01 PM

I know this is really boring and you you want to skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thank you - you cleared up some things for me!

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 2:20 PM

Great site! Good to read. There’s a single opinion to submit about funny t-shirts.

Nick March 4, 2011, 12:56 PM

I say that all schools should add more milk choices, my son says that he’s getting sick of just chocolate milk all the time

bajar de peso March 22, 2011, 3:11 PM

The core of your writing whilst sounding agreeable in the beginning, did not really settle properly with me personally after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you were able to make me a believer but just for a while. I however have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and one might do well to help fill in all those breaks. In the event you actually can accomplish that, I could undoubtedly end up being amazed.