Yom Kippur: Forgive Me God, I Have a Kid

Guest blogger Jenny: Like most American Jews, my family really only rolls out the "Observant" red carpet during the High Holidays. The Jewish High Holidays, which are considered the most important holidays in Judaism, are observed during the first day (Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year) and the tenth day (Yom Kippur, the day of Atonement). And since God decides who will be inscribed in the "book of life" on Yom Kippur, I always attend services at temple. Not this year.

young child praying

Why? I have a baby. And in my opinion, a place of worship is no place for a baby. Seriously, having a baby is the perfect excuse to get out of going to temple, church, weddings, funerals, work (okay, maybe I'm pushing it). First of all, my son is only 2. He wouldn't last more than three minutes cooped up on my lap listening to an old rabbi make Yiddish jokes (that my mom has already forwarded to me, "Hilarious"). Second of all, there's a lot of "silent prayer" and reflection during the High Holidays. Try telling a 2-year-old not to make a peep. Third, I have nothing to wear. (And yes, that is directly related to the baby).

The point is, I'm staying home this year. I feel a little guilty about using my son as an excuse not to go, but at least I can add this to the list of things to atone for. Hopefully, God will understand and let me live anyway. Besides, if God is omnipresent, He should be able to hear me from the comfort of my own home. I'll be sure to turn down the TV ...

next: Why I LOVE Dream Dinners
Michelle September 18, 2010, 4:04 PM

When your child is a little oldeer, you might want to see if any temples in your area offer childrens services.

Sol September 18, 2010, 5:16 PM

There were no shortage of children ranging from newborn to teenagers at our services. It is welcomed by our congregation.

Not a Jew September 18, 2010, 7:59 PM

Wow, you are a disgrace to your religion and you’re proud of it…or at least think it’s funny…

Rita September 20, 2010, 12:18 PM

Most churches offer a nursery and/or a crying room in the church. The nurseries are well-staffed by trained and background checked workers (who most likely are mothers themselves) and usually have 1-2 volunteers from the church.

Mara September 21, 2010, 7:57 AM

Rita -churches are not synagogues. My temple does not have any such crying room nor do they have children/family High Holy day services.

Ray Lesley March 16, 2011, 9:12 PM

This page appears to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It gives a nice individual twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to give info on is the most important thing.

Victor O. Coates March 31, 2011, 4:00 AM

Fascinating

Bonnie M. Smith April 5, 2011, 7:00 AM

Hi there, - came upon your web page unintentionally while roaming across the web this morning, and happy that i did! I do like the layout and different shades, but I have to mention that I’m having difficulties when it loads. I’m using iCab 3 browser for mac, and the footer will not line up as it should be. i am sure applied precisely the same design on a customer’s site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I have an idea the fault is with my browser & maybe today’s the day to change!