Rush Week: A Warning

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow: Some colleges do Greek rush in the spring; some in the fall. Don't know what "rush" is? Here's a quick tutorial.

woman with markings
Rush week is when a college's Greek organizations pull out all the stops in an effort to entice freshmen and sophomores to join a certain fraternity or sorority. At the end of rush, each house in the Greek community sends out "bids." Bids are formal invitations to pledge. "Pledging" kicks off a semester of hazing practices designed to prove that those who've pledged are worthy of wearing their Greek letters. Of course, then there's "Hell Week" and initiation ....

My scenario was quite different from most. My junior year at Penn State, two new sororities were invited to join our large Greek community. I rushed, received a bid and pledged one of them. However, these new sororities came with national representatives running the show. Everything was done first-class and by the book -- no bitchy prima donnas calling the shots; not a single ounce of hazing; no scary "Hell Week" rituals.And there was something else I thought was cool: If I ever had a daughter, she would be a "legacy." A legacy receives an automatic bid, because her mother is a sorority sister.

My situation was atypical, but I had numerous friends who pledged other sororities and fraternities. Beyond the obvious mass alcohol consumption, there was both physical and mental abuse. Although some Greek organizations are respectable and focus more on service than submission, I heard my share of "secrets" -- and I now know what to warn both my sons and daughter against. I lived it. I've seen it. It's real!

One sorority would take its pledges to a fraternity and then parade them around in front of the men in only their bras and underwear. As if that weren't bad enough, Sharpies were then handed out, and the men were encouraged to circle the fatty areas on each woman's body.

Once I noticed that all of the pledges of a certain fraternity were walking funny toward the end of the semester. A brother breaking his code of ethics told me that their interesting swagger was due to the fact that the tendon on the top of their right feet had been cut during Hell Week.

The fraternity house right next to my dorm would cover all their windows with newspaper during Hell Week. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I could hear screams coming from that house when I was walking home after dark.

Keep your kids safe. Talk to them about self-respect, and help them see why behaviors like the ones described above are ridiculous. Don't wait until they are IN college to have that conversation.

next: Signs That You Are Getting Older
Katalog Stron WWW February 6, 2011, 12:53 PM

I wish this article would never end.

oprawa zeszytowa February 8, 2011, 3:52 AM

Hi there, You’ve done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.

lego February 8, 2011, 4:11 AM

This is hilarious! You made me smile!

stomatolog Ludomy February 8, 2011, 8:46 AM

hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

stomatolog Aleksandrów Drugi February 9, 2011, 7:18 AM

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

stomatolog Łupawa February 9, 2011, 8:09 AM

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

lego February 9, 2011, 8:29 AM

I found your post very interesting.

meble w katowicach February 9, 2011, 8:56 AM

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

naprawa turbosprężarki February 9, 2011, 10:56 AM

My spouse and i felt quite fulfilled when Edward could conclude his inquiry out of the ideas he gained from your very own web site. It’s not at all simplistic just to happen to be freely giving thoughts which often many people have been selling. And we take into account we have the writer to appreciate for that. The entire explanations you have made, the easy web site navigation, the friendships you will help to promote - it’s many fabulous, and it’s letting our son in addition to us reason why the issue is awesome, and that’s unbelievably mandatory. Thanks for all!

zespół na wesele February 19, 2011, 2:14 AM

Best Damn post of the week! Good research…did you do it all on your own? This must’ve taken a lot of time. Great stuff.

erotyka February 24, 2011, 2:26 AM

Love this post! I agree!

zarabianie w internecie February 24, 2011, 3:23 AM

Yeah, this is it :) Thx fot it.

kodeki allplayer February 24, 2011, 5:13 AM

Thank you for your article.

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

lego March 8, 2011, 7:07 AM

This was a very interesting post!

zarobek w internecie March 15, 2011, 3:44 AM

I found your post very interesting.

Alveo March 21, 2011, 6:07 AM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?