I Live with a Teenage Drama KING!

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow: One day a couple of years ago, I made a comment about a nasty teen my kids and I saw while out. "You will understand when you hit the magic 13 and you decide you are the most important person in the world and are completely annoyed with me," I said.

teenage boy

Both kids assured me that there would NEVER be a day when they wouldn't want to crawl up in my lap and snuggle. Fast-forward to this week: My son is a mere two weeks from the magic number 13, and there are some days when I have no idea who this gawky, brace-faced, annoyed kid is.

Having grown up with a sister, I just assumed that teen drama was reserved for girls. I didn't realize that boys' self-esteems could hit rock bottom, too. Never did I guess that my son would find it hard to let go of a sharp comment a friend made. I had no idea of the range of emotions we would visit in our home in a 24-hour timeframe.

At first, I played it down. Maybe the less of an "event" it was, the less it would bother him. But when I saw the look in his eyes when he turned and walked away, I realized that just because he was a boy didn't mean he didn't deserve the gentle treatment I would have offered my daughter.

For many years, society taught that boys were supposed to be tough and not show weakness, and I found myself teetering on the edge of trying to make my son strong by not feeding into his drama. But why did I do this? Why did I almost cheat my boy out of the sensitive nature we, as women, look for in a mate?

I changed one thing: I "tuned in." It takes some slowing down from our busy lives, but it has make a world of difference. I probe with gentle questions when he comes home from school. I stopped being a stickler for bedtime; if he wants to talk, we talk ... for hours, if need be. If he is feeling snuggly, we snuggle -- and if not, we don't.

That little bit of extra time will someday reflect on how he "tunes in" to his wife and children. Maybe I will see that, if I live through the drama of the next one to hit the teens ... because SHE is 12 and she is a girl!

next: Why Is Academia So Hard on Working Mothers?
Wendi September 10, 2010, 8:24 PM

Well said! I have a 13yr old boy and wow they really do have some crazy feelings and emotions going on. I make sure mine knows that I am here to talk to and that he can come to me with anything. I also make sure that I just talk with him about stuff going on with me too. Seems only fair that I give a little to get a little.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 3:21 PM

Great article. I will certainly share this post with my friends. Thanks for the 411.

krep tarifi portakal agaci December 14, 2010, 12:36 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Merchant Account December 22, 2010, 3:38 PM

I enjoy this internet site and will be coming back once more.

dieta rapida December 27, 2010, 5:38 AM

I was been scouring the Web for such info and just wanted to say thanks to you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – 10x

Paul Malave December 29, 2010, 7:27 AM

Thank you for another greet post. Keep up the good work.

dieta anului 2010 January 3, 2011, 4:25 PM

I was beeing after the google for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

Unlock iPhone 3Gs January 13, 2011, 4:51 PM

Great article, thanks! I really love it!

Baby Room Themes January 16, 2011, 3:57 PM

Just had to mention, I had a good time going through this website and the opinions from everyone who takes time to chime in. It’s very intriguing and well written. Thanks once more for taking the time to put this online.

iq test January 19, 2011, 6:35 PM

I was beeing trying to find the Internet for this info and just wanted to thank you for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Regards

Wilfred Staebell January 24, 2011, 3:38 AM

thanks from los angeles

Blake Prueter February 6, 2011, 7:58 AM

I keep listening to the news bulletin talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i find some?

fashion2011 February 21, 2011, 2:40 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

filme online March 9, 2011, 5:11 PM

I have been searching the WWW for this information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

Francis Kernell March 12, 2011, 2:45 PM

Well this sort of article is actually worth searching for, great information for readers and beyond doubt shows quality writing. Its great to have these types of articles around to keep the information flow. Helping individuals who really enjoy this, great work! Thanks once more for sharing this online. I unquestionably enjoyed every bit of it.