Is Breastfeeding the New Jenny Craig?

momlogic's Vivian:In cruising around the Web, we came across a great entry on Blacktating about a new pro-breastfeeding campaign from the New York State Department of Health that's sweeping the City.

woman breasfeeding

The blog points out how the billboard/bus-depot campaign lauds the numerous health benefits of breastfeeding with a number of little-known facts: Breastfeeding for even one month can cut your risk of diabetes by 27 percent; there are decreased rates of breast and ovarian cancer in moms who've breastfed; it lowers your risk of heart disease, etc.

Then there's the biggie: weight loss. We've heard celeb after celeb say all they had to do was breastfeed to reduce themselves to a size two in three short months, but to hear this message in an ad delivered by an average-looking mom almost comes off like a parody crafted by "SNL," because A) not everyone can breastfeed with ease, B) not everyone loses so much weight by breastfeeding (I sure as shizz didn't) and C) it's nice to think the health benefits -- not the weight loss -- would be what motivated a mom to give it a whirl.

What do you guys think? Does this ad inspire you to breastfeed? Or does it inspire your mockery?

next: Mario Lopez at Hospital; Announces His Baby Girl
April September 14, 2010, 12:21 PM

I sure as shizz didn’t lose weight either. I’ve had to struggle not to gain weight in the last 4 and half months of breastfeeding.

christine September 14, 2010, 2:10 PM

Ugh, I hate the whole weight-loss-breast-feeding connection and all the debate/conversation and now advertising that goes along with it. Women should breastfeed for the RIGHT reasons, and not out of vanity, in my opinion. I knew a mother who pumped and dumped for many months after her daughter refused to nurse from her breast… Because she believed it would help her continue to lose weight. (!!)

Anonymous September 14, 2010, 6:41 PM

Ive been breastfeeding for 13 months now. Yes, I lost weight right after giving birth. Yes, I was wearing pre pregnancy jeans by 6 weeks after. Heck I was wearing jeans I couldnt squeeze into before getting pregnant. But…it creeps back. Its not a weight loss program.

dagondani73 September 15, 2010, 7:22 AM

As a nurse and an advocate of breastfeeding…if it works, GREAT!! The mom and baby both benefit. If women choose to breastfeed for losing weight, once nursing is well established most women will continue because it is easier aloong with the other benefits. I breastfed both of my children and was fortunate enough to get back to prepregnancy weight at 6-8 weeks!!

Sarah September 15, 2010, 3:29 PM

Who cares “why” someone else decides to breastfeed? To say women should nurse “for the right reasons” is putting a lot of stock into your OWN opinion about what the “right reasons” are. This is a dumb thing to have an opinion about.

DRIA September 15, 2010, 3:38 PM

It’s an odd commercial but if this commercial works for the targeted demographic, then great! We’re all for breastfeeding our little bambinos, for health and love.

Ashley September 16, 2010, 8:30 AM

LMAO It really does look like an SNL skit!

Alesandro September 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

Xt7WxS Hop hey La la ley http://avtozastivxux.sweb.cz

Krista September 16, 2010, 1:10 PM

I didn’t breastfeed and had lots of friends tell me I’d never lose the weight after delivery but I worked out and ate healthy and was was back into my 28 waist jeans in 4 weeks and buying waist size 26 by 8 weeks. I did see breastfeeding friends lose lots of weight then to gain 10-15 pounds back after they quit as they were still eating tons of junk and they still have the extra weight on they gained after stopping breastfeeding. I have remained close to my oringinal weight after having 2 kids. Breastfeeding friends also gained more weight during pregnancy as they had the excuse that they would turn skinny overnight breastfeeding.

WaldosM September 17, 2010, 8:02 AM

z6GIwr hi all ?heey ? http://avtozastivxux.sweb.cz

Rachel September 17, 2010, 8:00 PM

I lost all of my pregnancy weight and then some by breastfeeding (I didn’t change my diet or exercise). However, now that my son is starting on solids and is nursing less, I’m starting to gain that weight back. :(

Maman A Droit September 19, 2010, 1:13 PM

As part of an ad campaign also touting other health benefits, I don’t think it’s bad. Just like how some bf’ing moms will still be diabetic, develop breast cancer, etc, it’s not a guarantee-just on average it increases the odds in your favor of being able to lose the weight. And while other hormonal/metabolic issues play a role too, if there was another way to burn 500 calories/day while sitting on the couch, women would sure as heck be promoting that!

MaryannWise25 October 2, 2010, 10:37 AM

I had got a desire to start my own business, however I did not earn enough amount of cash to do it. Thank goodness my close mate suggested to take the loans. Thence I used the commercial loan and made real my dream.

Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 2:10 PM

I’m at present operating on a brand new venture using the aim connect the fashion marketplace in a single forum.

Mokica November 11, 2010, 9:49 AM

Awesome read, well done

Ellyn Hulitt November 20, 2010, 2:21 PM

99% of blogs and sites today seem to be copy and past but this site is, keep up the very good work - chaps

Anthony Miners November 26, 2010, 2:21 PM

Been looking for on ebay for a while so done search on google and came up with this site, great article ill pass it on this afternoon to my friend who was looking for something like this.

car insurance before 11pm November 27, 2010, 11:45 AM

When reading this post it reminded me of something I read the other week in a Mag, would there be any chance I could have the authors email address, Super blog thanks for the infomation.

yeni bölüm December 3, 2010, 9:30 AM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. This has been an inspiration for me. I’ve passed this on to a friend of mine. thanks.

depression causes December 6, 2010, 4:27 PM

Whoa! this is a quite interesting writeup, added a trackback to my website.