Is It Wrong for Boys to Wear Tights?

Guest Blogger Rebecca Barry: Not too long ago,I bought our son Liam a pair of tights. It was the end of the week and he doesn't go to daycare on Fridays and so he and I spent the day together. I took him to the gym, and then to the co-op to get groceries, and then we went to The Cat's Pajamas, which is a children's clothing store that has a "Thomas the Tank Engine" table which can occupy Liam for hours. So Liam played and I bought three pairs of very cute, colorful socks and two pairs of tights.
tights-boy.jpg
When I came home and showed my purchases to my husband, he pointed out that it wasn't really cost-effective to forgo daycare ($35 a day) if I come home with $50 worth of hosiery for a boy. He didn't think the tights were a good idea.

I did. Here's why. I am always cold. My acupuncturist says it's because I have a "damp constitution" and eat too many "damp foods" (coffee, wheat, dairy ... yes, I consider coffee a food). Whatever the reason, I spend the winter freezing and wear tights under my jeans all season long. I assumed that Liam -- who my acupuncturist also at one time also pronounced "damp," and who has no body fat -- is also always cold. So I thought tights would be good for him. I also bought the tights because I feel fairly strongly that children should grow up surrounded by color. They should make colorful things, wear colorful clothes, be exposed to rich, strong colors all the time. I think it's good for their brains, but if you have boys this is hard to do. All the boy clothes are dark browns and greens and totally boring, unless you want to spend a lot of money on Petit Bateau sweaters (which I would if I could). So I am always looking for colorful items for the boys, and these tights were a nice purple-, green- and blue-striped pair, which I thought would look like a very cute pair of socks.

"They're colorful," I said. "All it takes for a kid to look well-dressed is a pair of great socks and a pair of cool shoes."

"You just think he's cold because you're cold," said my husband, who is not "damp". "He's going to die of heatstroke. He doesn't need tights."

"You're just saying that because you're always hot," I said.

What my husband did not say is that he doesn't really want Liam to wear tights because he knows that although I love my boys to death I was kind of hoping for a girl, and he thinks I keep trying to dress my boys like girls. But it's not that I want to dress them like girls; it's that I don't see why they have to be dressed one way or the other. Which brings me to the question of the week: Does the way we dress our children matter?

Later, in the car on the way back from a nature hike, I asked Liam if he liked his new tights. (He had just come out of the public restroom and said, "I have two things: a bottom and a penis.")"I love them," he said happily.

"Why do you love them so much?" I asked. "Was it because they kept you so warm and cozy on our walk?"

"No," he said. "Because I look like Maggie." I could feel my husband's smugness radiating from the driver's side of the car. "Maggie wears tights, and skirts and dresses, and I want to wear skirts and dresses."

"But don't you like pants?" I said.

"Not really. When am I going to lose my penis and be a girl?"

"Oh, that old chestnut," I sighed.

"That's not usually what happens," said my husband, Tommy.

"Well, well, well," said Liam. "When are you going to start being a boy, Mommy?"

"I'm working on it," I said.

In a way, though, he's on to something. I've always been interested in what Virginia Woolf called that "man-womanliness, woman-manliness" that exists in all of us. On the one hand, boys and girls are wired differently, there's no question, but on the other, it seems that we are mostly just human, and tend to exhibit more masculine and feminine qualities at different points of our lives. Women after the age of 30 grow much more aggressive, confident and independent, in my experience. (And after 50, watch out.) Men after the age of 50 are completely sentimental. They just start crying. I think it's all of those years of pretending they don't feel anything.

So maybe my son just sees what we've all forgotten, which is that gender, like morality, like happiness, can be a fairly fluid thing, and that maybe the truth is that we're all women waiting to be men, and men waiting to be women. Which is so fundamentally human -- sitting around, doing the best you can, while waiting to be someone else.

Also, girls' clothes are a lot more fun than boys' clothes.

Either way, we're keeping the tights. And Liam's penis. At least for the time being.

For more from Rebecca Barry, visit Main St. Diaries.

next: Top 5 Unwatchable Movies for Moms
lam September 1, 2010, 2:19 PM

yeah, boys clothes are usually pretty bland. american apparel has great, brightly colored leggings for kids. my sons live in them.

also kids ink, appaman, monster, quiksilver, paul frank, & mini rodini all have colorful clothes for boys. i buy for mine from littleboychic.com

Boy'S Sweaters September 1, 2010, 6:34 PM

Wear them as footless tights, opaque tights or tieback footless tights to uplift your outfit for just a few pounds. Boy’S Sweaters

Colleen September 1, 2010, 8:55 PM

I also blogged about this today after buying my son some ‘girls’ pajamas.

binky September 9, 2010, 4:02 PM

My mom bought me tight for a costume when I was young. I was hooked right away. I loved the snug, comfy second-skin feel. I wore them around the house for a couple of years and then stopped because I was ashamed.

I secretly wear them to this day though. I really love the way tights feel. I’m not a cross dresser either. I just love tights and their cousin pantyhose.

Spottedfeather September 11, 2010, 2:57 PM

Is it wrong for boys to wear tights ? No,…if this was the 1200’s. And Binky ? If you wear stuff meant for girls, that makes you a cross dresser, wether you like it or not. Bras, hose, tights, or panties, doesn’t make a difference. If you wear girl stuff, you’re either a cross dresser or want to be a girl.

Ken September 12, 2010, 1:17 PM

Come on everyone… tights on a boy or girl, So what is just a clothing. Society has brain washed us when we were young and told boys wear pants and girls wear dress. When we see something that doesn’t fit that we think O he is gay or she is rebelling. ( it is ok for the ladies to wear what they want not men, a topic for another day ) I see no problem with the boy wearing tights, it will be the peers that will have the problem. Personal I have worn for years in the winter. I say for all those that say it is wrong for a male to wear “tights” get over it If he is comfy that is all that counts. Do u care what color I paint my house then why should u care what someone wears it is personal choice. Teach your children to have a open mind, not the stereo type labeling we were. This world we live in is so diversified now .

Isadora Magera December 8, 2010, 7:36 AM

You completed various nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found mainly persons will consent with your blog.

Mack Raskey December 12, 2010, 7:47 PM

Hello.This article was extremely remarkable, particularly since I was looking for thoughts on this matter last couple of days.

buy used jets December 13, 2010, 7:23 PM

Very well written information. It will be helpful to everyone who employess it, including yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - i will definitely read more posts.

Go Here December 14, 2010, 5:06 AM

Thoroughly informative post!

data entry jobs December 14, 2010, 11:44 AM

Very good written article. It will be useful to everyone who usess it, including yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - i will definitely read more posts.

ladbrokes December 14, 2010, 2:05 PM

excellent, thanks for the advice joined your rss

cool indoor plants December 14, 2010, 3:22 PM

I didn’t see a button anywhere but do you offer advertising? I have a variety of blogs in related area of interest and I would like to add my banner somwhere on your page.

Adalberto Juilfs December 14, 2010, 8:58 PM

Good info and right to the point. I am not sure if this is truly the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to get some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

Alexia Menkin December 15, 2010, 12:35 AM

I like this post very much. I will certainly be back. Hope that I can read more informative posts then. Will be sharing your knowledge with all of my associates!

Vance Kassis December 15, 2010, 6:46 PM

Thank you for your great post! It has been extremely useful. I wish that you will continue sharing your wisdom with us.

Tattoo Ink December 15, 2010, 10:13 PM

I believed it was going to be some boring previous put up, but it really compensated for my time. I will publish a hyperlink to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will discover that very useful

sell online December 16, 2010, 12:49 AM

You completed a few nice points there. I did a search on the subject and found mainly persons will have the same opinion with your blog.

Toby Saintignon December 16, 2010, 8:06 AM

josh, i think you are absolutely right in your comment, i agree with you 100 percent

used jets December 16, 2010, 1:09 PM

You made a number of good points there. I did a search on the issue and found mainly persons will consent with your blog.