Is It Wrong for Boys to Wear Tights?

Guest Blogger Rebecca Barry: Not too long ago,I bought our son Liam a pair of tights. It was the end of the week and he doesn't go to daycare on Fridays and so he and I spent the day together. I took him to the gym, and then to the co-op to get groceries, and then we went to The Cat's Pajamas, which is a children's clothing store that has a "Thomas the Tank Engine" table which can occupy Liam for hours. So Liam played and I bought three pairs of very cute, colorful socks and two pairs of tights.
tights-boy.jpg
When I came home and showed my purchases to my husband, he pointed out that it wasn't really cost-effective to forgo daycare ($35 a day) if I come home with $50 worth of hosiery for a boy. He didn't think the tights were a good idea.

I did. Here's why. I am always cold. My acupuncturist says it's because I have a "damp constitution" and eat too many "damp foods" (coffee, wheat, dairy ... yes, I consider coffee a food). Whatever the reason, I spend the winter freezing and wear tights under my jeans all season long. I assumed that Liam -- who my acupuncturist also at one time also pronounced "damp," and who has no body fat -- is also always cold. So I thought tights would be good for him. I also bought the tights because I feel fairly strongly that children should grow up surrounded by color. They should make colorful things, wear colorful clothes, be exposed to rich, strong colors all the time. I think it's good for their brains, but if you have boys this is hard to do. All the boy clothes are dark browns and greens and totally boring, unless you want to spend a lot of money on Petit Bateau sweaters (which I would if I could). So I am always looking for colorful items for the boys, and these tights were a nice purple-, green- and blue-striped pair, which I thought would look like a very cute pair of socks.

"They're colorful," I said. "All it takes for a kid to look well-dressed is a pair of great socks and a pair of cool shoes."

"You just think he's cold because you're cold," said my husband, who is not "damp". "He's going to die of heatstroke. He doesn't need tights."

"You're just saying that because you're always hot," I said.

What my husband did not say is that he doesn't really want Liam to wear tights because he knows that although I love my boys to death I was kind of hoping for a girl, and he thinks I keep trying to dress my boys like girls. But it's not that I want to dress them like girls; it's that I don't see why they have to be dressed one way or the other. Which brings me to the question of the week: Does the way we dress our children matter?

Later, in the car on the way back from a nature hike, I asked Liam if he liked his new tights. (He had just come out of the public restroom and said, "I have two things: a bottom and a penis.")"I love them," he said happily.

"Why do you love them so much?" I asked. "Was it because they kept you so warm and cozy on our walk?"

"No," he said. "Because I look like Maggie." I could feel my husband's smugness radiating from the driver's side of the car. "Maggie wears tights, and skirts and dresses, and I want to wear skirts and dresses."

"But don't you like pants?" I said.

"Not really. When am I going to lose my penis and be a girl?"

"Oh, that old chestnut," I sighed.

"That's not usually what happens," said my husband, Tommy.

"Well, well, well," said Liam. "When are you going to start being a boy, Mommy?"

"I'm working on it," I said.

In a way, though, he's on to something. I've always been interested in what Virginia Woolf called that "man-womanliness, woman-manliness" that exists in all of us. On the one hand, boys and girls are wired differently, there's no question, but on the other, it seems that we are mostly just human, and tend to exhibit more masculine and feminine qualities at different points of our lives. Women after the age of 30 grow much more aggressive, confident and independent, in my experience. (And after 50, watch out.) Men after the age of 50 are completely sentimental. They just start crying. I think it's all of those years of pretending they don't feel anything.

So maybe my son just sees what we've all forgotten, which is that gender, like morality, like happiness, can be a fairly fluid thing, and that maybe the truth is that we're all women waiting to be men, and men waiting to be women. Which is so fundamentally human -- sitting around, doing the best you can, while waiting to be someone else.

Also, girls' clothes are a lot more fun than boys' clothes.

Either way, we're keeping the tights. And Liam's penis. At least for the time being.

For more from Rebecca Barry, visit Main St. Diaries.

next: Top 5 Unwatchable Movies for Moms
10 minute trainer February 5, 2011, 6:01 PM

Seriously great! Thanks for taking the time so that you can in fact post consistently. I’ve been trying to as a lot as I can, however it is so hard to get into a rhythm with blogging and site-building.

Travel Offers February 6, 2011, 4:06 PM

Hi I absolutely dig this article and it has been too excellent hence I am going to tweet it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis this article has is trully extraordinary !! No one goes that extra mile now days? Bravo :) Just one more advise you shouldintroduce a Translator Application for your Worldwide Audience !!

Santana Haggins February 7, 2011, 3:04 AM

Hey. Thank you very much. I’ll recommend this to my readers! Cheers. =)

lavoro da casa February 7, 2011, 3:05 AM

Uhm… I don’t really know what to think… but I have a question I’d like to ask you in private, ideally by email. How can I reach you?

Lecia Miscione February 7, 2011, 3:42 AM

I simply had to thank you very much once again. I do not know what I might have made to happen without those aspects discussed by you directly on such a area. Entirely was a terrifying dilemma in my position, however , spending time with the very specialized mode you solved the issue made me to weep over delight. I am just grateful for this service as well as have high hopes you find out what a powerful job your are undertaking instructing other individuals through the use of your webpage. More than likely you have never got to know all of us.

Glenda Biondolillo February 7, 2011, 5:12 AM

very nice post keep it up

mesothelioma prognosis February 7, 2011, 5:49 AM

this may be a amazing webpage. I have never seen this kind of good quality content material. I’m extremely content. I am going to examine your website regurly and hope you replace added. I will recommend individual friends for this put. The knowledge is going to be used by more existence. I highly recommend this specific spot to each person. I enjoy studying this a lot. Thank you very much in these types of high quality content material.

painonpudotus February 7, 2011, 6:26 AM

Awesome story over again. Thank you=)

Mercurial 2011  February 7, 2011, 6:51 AM

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. …

Tiffani Oboyle February 7, 2011, 8:43 AM

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

greenhouse plans February 7, 2011, 10:41 AM

Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous web site.

seo February 7, 2011, 10:49 AM

Good day fellow, nice site!

Ronald Knobel February 7, 2011, 11:26 AM

Genuinely diggin what you’ve been posting here lately. I’d love to see you continue with much more of this. Bookmarked!

American Airlines Promotion Code February 7, 2011, 2:24 PM

Hey I definetly adore this post and it has been too agreeable hence I am going to tweet it. One thing to say the Wonderful analysis you have done is definetly exceptional ! Who does that additional research these days? Well Done !!! Also one more advise to you is that you definetlyinstitute a Translator Application for your Global Audience …

pokemon soul silver codes February 7, 2011, 2:27 PM

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

weight gain diet February 7, 2011, 3:21 PM

Thank you for another informative site. Where else could I get that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such information.

Coco February 7, 2011, 3:36 PM

Going to repeat what everyone else has said, thanks and great article. -Coco

Margie Sorel February 7, 2011, 3:52 PM

this look really very interesting, i like this topic very much, thanks for the information about it, in the article.

teeth whitening dentistry February 7, 2011, 3:59 PM

Thanks in compensation compelling the heyday to talk beyond this, I be informed strongly on touching it and find worthwhile myths more on this topic.

nolykinfo598@ February 7, 2011, 4:54 PM