Mom's Intuition Saves Daughter's Life

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: It was a freak accident. Donald McCracken was playing ball with his kids when a fly ball hit his 7-year-old daughter, Morgan, on the head. After a little ice and some TLC,she seemed fine. She even went to school the next day and got an A on an assignment.

Morgan McCracken

Two nights later, however, Morgan complained of a severe headache. Her parents rushed her to the nearby emergency room. The ER doctor said it was the flu, and wanted to send the girl home. But Morgan's parents weren't convinced.

"There was something definitely wrong; you could feel it in your gut," Morgan's mom, Connie, told CNN. She pushed the doctor for a CT scan.

What the scan revealed was astonishing: an epidural hematoma -- the same injury that killed actress Natasha Richardson in 2009. (An epidural hematoma is a leakage of blood into the skull that causes life-threatening pressure on the brain.)

Little Morgan was rushed by helicopter to nearby Cleveland, where emergency brain surgery was performed."I knew it was bad when she had to get there by helicopter in six minutes, instead of the 30 minutes it would have taken to get to Cleveland in an ambulance," Connie said.

Morgan miraculously survived, and today she's a happy, healthy little girl.Connie told CNN that it was because of Richardson's high-profile case that she knew to take her daughter's injury seriously, even though Morgan had shown no signs in the past 48 hours that anything was amiss."Because of Natasha, we called the pediatrician immediately," Connie said. "And by the time I got off the phone with him, Morgan was sobbing, her head hurt so much."

None of the typical warning signs of epidural hematoma were apparent with Morgan. Her speech wasn't slurred; she didn't have double vision; she seemed OK. If a child like Morgan can seem perfectly fine after a head injury -- only to be in danger of dying hours or days later -- how is a parent to know whether her child is truly OK?There are things you can do to be prepared:

Don't take any head injury lightly. If your child has a head injury (even a seemingly minor one), watch them carefully. They might seem fine; they might walk and talk like normal. But watch them closely for any signs that something is off.

Know the warning signs. If your child seems dizzy, confused, vomits or complains of a headache, head straight to the emergency room.

Be alert to sudden changes. If your child has a mild headache that suddenly becomes much more serious or is suddenly sleepy out of the blue, take that as a warning sign that the brain might be reacting to a serious problem.

Know the location of the trauma center nearest you. Trauma centers are best at handling epidural hematomas. Know where your local certified trauma center is, and use that hospital (if it's close to you), because they're most likely to have the best available resources for treating a brain injury.

next: Is It Sexist to Raise Kids To Be Ladies and Gentlemen?
joeaken September 30, 2010, 2:25 AM

piercy, Sorry to hear that but Your friend should contact a Personal Injury Lawyer for a consultation, here is a good one that I know http://bit.ly/9be1LW who offers free consultation for situation like yours, wish she feels better soon

john October 1, 2010, 8:11 AM

Personal injury lawyer? What will the personal injury lawyer do exactly? Sue the little girl for not catching the ball before it hit her?

nutmac October 7, 2010, 11:59 AM

Sigh, the girl is fine. Scummy lawyers like joeaken is one of the main reasons why health care cost is rising so rapidly.

indefinite leave to remain  February 10, 2011, 2:42 PM

Good post and right to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to get some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

Katie O. Cochran March 25, 2011, 9:36 AM

Practical

dofollow sites March 29, 2011, 1:18 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

pine mountain March 30, 2011, 10:52 PM

Hey we was just looking at your post on my Blackberry and I was thinking about how well it will work on the new ipad coming out . Fleeting thought…. Anyway thanks!

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 3:30 AM

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

Lester O. Forbes March 31, 2011, 3:54 AM

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 5:32 AM

Great article it is without doubt. I’ve been searching for this info.

online computer repair March 31, 2011, 4:11 PM

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

proactol ingredients April 1, 2011, 11:53 AM

I’ve been surfing online greater than 3 hours these days, but I by no means found any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the web might be much more useful than ever before.

appendicitis April 1, 2011, 6:00 PM

Good read … headline catchy … good points, some of which I have learned along the way as well (humility, grace, layoff the controversial stuff). Will share with my colleagues at work as we begin blogging from a corporate perspective. Thanks!

Johanna Standaert April 1, 2011, 9:08 PM

Hey, you used to write excellent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on!

BUSINESS JET CHARTER April 2, 2011, 11:34 AM

all the activation links re not woking.

Custom Dirt Bike Graphics April 2, 2011, 12:36 PM

Exactly what I was searching for! Thanks so much for Listing the info. I searched for quite a while and found a bunch of crap info, before I found this. Thanks! John

SolarPowerNow April 2, 2011, 6:35 PM

Hey this can be a attractive looking site, is wordpress? Forgive me for the foolish question - but when so, what theme is? Thanks! :-)

Carpet Orem Cleaning April 2, 2011, 10:38 PM

Just what I was looking for! Thanks so much for Posting the info. I searched for quite a while and found a bunch of crap info, before I found this. Thanks! Sean

this internet site is my aspiration , really superb layout and perfect written content .

leads April 3, 2011, 7:56 PM

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the stor. I cant believe youre not even more popular than you are because you definitely have a gift.