No More AP Classes!

Guest blogger Kate Meyers: I am standing up here for teenagers everywhere when I say: Ease up on the educational pressure! Last year, I made the mistake of allowing my daughter to get swept up in the super-competitive vibe at her new high school and let her sign up for a roster of all advanced classes. I was so wrong -- and we paid the price in tears, pressure and long hours of homework. "Mom," she said, one bleak day. "I got a C in science, so I'm not going to get into any good colleges." I didn't need to ask her where she'd gotten that impression ....

school books

The previous weekend, we had gone to the mountains with some dear friends. Unfortunately, they are also manic overachievers. They immediately asked what colleges Annie was thinking about (she's in ninth grade!), and then my mom-friend proceeded to say that she refused to let her son get anything lower than a B, even if she had to stay up all night with him.

Please: Stop the Insanity! We don't have to buy into this bunk. This year, I am happy to report, my daughter has dropped several advanced classes from her schedule -- with my ecstatic blessing. After two weeks of school, she is laughing at dinner, has time to read at night (a favorite activity), has yet to use the word "stressed" and started a club to raise funds for a girls' school in Africa that a friend of ours helped build.

For what it's worth, I'm fighting hard to give her time and space to live and experience life outside of academia. I'm sure she'll end up saner, more well-rounded and smarter because of it!

next: Help! My Son Always Forgets His Homework
homecoming dresses under 100 January 31, 2011, 9:04 AM

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

sons of anarchy season 3 February 3, 2011, 6:33 AM

Was looking for this - so I just tweeted your site on our account - thanks

Kecia Mccoggle February 11, 2011, 3:48 AM

Hello. impressive job. I did not imagine this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

lindsay lohan burgendy hair February 13, 2011, 2:22 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

2011 clothing styles February 13, 2011, 11:02 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

summer evening wedding colors February 17, 2011, 3:04 AM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

cheap simple wedding dresses February 17, 2011, 10:50 AM

Pay no attention to what the critics say… Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!

biuro rahunkowe warszawa March 18, 2011, 2:07 AM

You need to take a lesson from my Canadian-born father and start rooting for the country of your citizenship: America. Few things are more annoying than someone who becomes a citizen on paper, but not with their heart.

braids mediafire native speaker March 28, 2011, 3:21 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.