Maybe Polygamists Are Doing It Right ....

Notes from a New Mom: TLC's newest show, "Sister Wives," follows the day-to-day life of a real polygamist family in Utah. The Browns (one husband, four wives, thirteen children) are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Kody Brown
Polygamy usually gets negative coverage in the media, but the Browns put a different spin on it. "I never wanted to just be married to a man," says Christine. "I'm glad to be [Kody's] third wife, because I never wanted to be alone with a husband, and the third wife balances out the tension between the first two." Hmm ... polygamy's starting to sound kind of good.

Think about it: There are four wives to share in the raising of the children, four wives to share the sex duties, four wives to tend to housework. Wouldn't it be nice to have a whole community to help you through disagreements? If there were another wife around in my house, maybe I would actually be heard for once! And the kids? Since there are thirteen of them, they'll likely raise one another, freeing their moms to have some much-deserved private time. Oh, and the wives all sleep in separate bedrooms, meaning that each one sleeps alone several nights a month.

Alone in bed?! What a dream ....

next: Check Out the 'Sesame Shore'
Critter September 25, 2010, 6:10 AM

Are the ladies allowed to “date”. Can they bring another BROTHER HUSBAND- Polygamy is oppressive. NOw if the ladies can obtain a Brother Husband- then I am for it. ;)

Annoyed September 25, 2010, 7:09 AM

I’m annoyed by the comment that the kids can raise each other. 1. I assume with only ONE wife there wouldn’t BE 14 kids and 2. parents are lazy. It’s not the older kids job to raise the younger kids. I hope your article was said in jest. Kids need time to be kids.

Kelly September 25, 2010, 1:32 PM

I really hope this was all sarcastic!! Anyone read Under the Banner of Heaven?? Good book, learned a lot.

KS September 25, 2010, 4:32 PM

I’m in mostly a to each their own type person. These types of religions get to me at times though because of their absolute hypocrisy. I would never chose this life and if my husband ever seriously suggested it I would take my children and leave him. I find these religions incredibly oppressive to women and children.

Having children so they can raise your other children is disgusting and despicable. If you don’t want to put in the hard work of being a wife and mother then sterilize yourself and don’t settle down.

I actually enjoy having intimate relations with my husband and I am never ignored or not heard in my home. If I feel like I haven’t been heard I repeat myself. Then again I waited to get married until I found a man who wasn’t afraid of having his wife be his partner not his underling. In my view there is no room in a marriage for a parent child relationship and that is exactly what I think these types of marriages become. Ask any one of these guys if their wives can find a brother husband and it’s all fire and brimstone about adultery. Yet they are sanctioned by the church to bring as many women into their home as they can afford to support. Many times the burden of making the meager dollars stretch goes to the women. UGGHHH

only1wifeformyman! September 26, 2010, 7:53 AM

the only thing i would agree on is the house work. hahahha…. but really its wrong i dont care that this is what they believe to be “right” or “good”.

Kell September 26, 2010, 12:40 PM

To me, the community aspect of polygamy sounds wonderful. I’m a big fan of the show Big Love, and love the way the three wives share the three houses, and make one big back yard and split all the household duties. To do that with my two best friends would be great. I’m just not too keen on the husband-sharing part…

Mary Green September 26, 2010, 3:32 PM

Zero tolerance for this. Emotionally abusive to live in fear of law, shame of community. TV show does NOT validate these liabilities. What is the difference between arranged polygamy and mistresses? Don’t buy it. Gluttons for punishment.

Samantha September 26, 2010, 8:21 PM

I’d agree with the point that it would be nice to share the housework, but with 13 kids, you probably still end up doing just as much… LOL

Anonymous September 26, 2010, 10:11 PM

@ Critter: There’s a word for that, it’s called polyandry. I’m game.

Bee September 27, 2010, 10:55 AM

I wanna be a polygamist! I would love to have many husband.I would stay home have their babies cook and clean their house while they all work and bring home a pay check to me!!!

SegoLily September 27, 2010, 1:40 PM

I think what this show is revealing is that the human heart is capable of loving more than one person. Why not? Does a widow love here second husband any less than her first? I don’t think the lifestyle is for me, but frankly, after watching Sister Wives I am starting to see the benefits to polygamy. A woman has much more freedom and independence!

Susan October 10, 2010, 1:38 PM

Sorry, but I was lost the minute “sex” became a “duty”. Call me old fashioned after 15 years with my husband but sex is something I want to actually do with my spouse, not pass off to the woman down the hall.

mom4 October 11, 2010, 7:18 AM

I think they should do as they want. There is not a women out there who would not love to have help taking care of kids and the house. And not having a man want sex from you all the time,but yet get his love all the time. I think this is great. Think of all the kids out there who go home everyday to no one, at lest these kids have someone. They have my vote.Wish I could live like this.

Sam Mannebach February 10, 2011, 7:05 PM

I just want to mention I am new to blogging and honestly liked your web page. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your website . You absolutely have fabulous posts. Bless you for sharing with us your web site.

Shannon Piermatteo March 16, 2011, 8:31 PM

extended diary you’ve acquire

do follow me lyrics March 29, 2011, 1:28 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Toney Cosico March 29, 2011, 5:20 PM

I keep listening to the news update lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i find some?

Guy E. Herring March 29, 2011, 7:15 PM

Dino Seltrecht March 30, 2011, 7:04 AM

Hello. splendid job. I did not expect this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

Towanda Phom March 30, 2011, 2:33 PM

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.