President Obama Wants a Longer School Year ... Do You?

President Barack Obama started the school week Monday with a call for a longer school year during a nationally broadcast interview.

barack obama
When asked if he supported a year-round school year, Obama said that he thought a longer school year would make sense, but did not give specifics as to how much longer he thought the school year should be. U.S. students attend classes an average of one month less than children in most other advanced countries.

Do you think kids should have a longer school year? Why or why not?

next: Octomom's Yard Sale. No, Seriously ....
Jamie Auter October 3, 2010, 9:07 PM

I know True Mom. Her daughters are both teenagers, one still in High School and the other In College. She was a sucsessful Marketing Analyst and quit a six figure job when they were born to stay home. They struggled for years, but she and her husband thought her staying home was the best all around for her girls. I watched the relationship that they have, and knew that this was THE relationship I wanted with my son. It isnt about “Playtime” it is about the mental well-being of your family. An overstressed child= overstressed parents.

#1 Mom October 4, 2010, 12:24 PM

AMEN ANONYMOUS!!

I think it’s obscene that parents don’t want a better, more realistic school schedule for their children. Year round, 9-5 school with a one week break per season is ideal!

Momto3girls October 4, 2010, 8:04 PM

Wow. Ok, let’s look at one of our most famous technological leaders-Japan. Hmmm…what about their school system? Those kids can go to school sometimes Mon-Sat and with the addition of school related clubs they can spend all day until around 6pm “in school” and that is year round. Of course, they’re doing well scholastically!! That’s ALL they’re doing! I am proud that America has been able to hold on to our priority of family time, at least for a little while. Spending time in a classroom chewing up and spitting out bits of knowledge for a standardized test so the school system, or country for that matter, can LOOK good is the problem! So I don’t think making them sit in said classrooms longer to do this even more, is not the answer. I have heard this from countless teachers, when the focus turns from looking good on a standardized test so the school system can receive more funding from the State, to actually teaching with the goal of learning AND retaining knowledge-only then will we see our children succeed academically. When we stop piling more book work on them and engage and challenge their ideas will we see real progress and thinking for themselves! When we allow them appopriate breaks to enjoy family time and use their ima (THEY ARE CHILDREN!) ginations and creativity will we see success!

Anya October 5, 2010, 8:04 AM

Kids DESPARATELY NEED LONGER SCHOOL YEARS!! Kids now are only legally required to be in school is ONLY 180 days - that’s it!! Kids require year round school, not only for retention, but to learn responsiblity and have more opportunities to have broader schedules that include more art/language skills/math classes. Most U.S. children are WOEFULLY and EMBARASSINGLY undereducated and undermotivated. Kids no longer have chores,after school jobs, nothing. They lollygag in school and come home, sit on their bum and play video games. I’m sorry, any parent who doesn’t want the best for their children, feel free to keep your kids in a stunted school year but the real parents want the best for their kids and their futures which is a year round school year!!

Jamie October 5, 2010, 8:15 AM

Momto3girls -um, not sure how long you spent teaching in Japan, but I taught there for 4 years and their education system is EXCELLENT!! And school is not “all they do” - far from it. Family is much bigger focus in Japan than it’s ever been in the U.S.

Children in Japan are in school year round with 1-2 week breaks per season. There days run from 9-4/5 EXPRESSLY to match their parents so they can all spend their mornings and evenings together. Their days are very well rounding with academics,music, arts and sports. I’ve never seen a better education system.

I just can’t understand how immature and selfish parents can be not wanting a great education for their children.

Me October 11, 2010, 10:03 AM

NO! What happened to the “quality time” with your kids the democrats always chanted?

Do you really want NO time in the whole week to spend with your kids???

This is utterly ridiculous. You don’t need longer hours for kids to learn. YOU do need to fire incompetent teachers. My neice stayed with us and for 2 years in grade school did not do well in math. Instead of her teacher working with her or even trying to see WHY she couldn’t do the multiplication/division she ignored her. I taught her how to add/subject correctly FIRST. Yes, it was THAT simple. We played rummy every night at dinner time, (she thought we were just having fun) but I had an ulterior motive. I told her SHE had to add the scores. I would double-check it. After several weeks, she had no problem doing her math and her grade climbed.

BrainSurgeSucks November 4, 2010, 6:18 PM

Hell no! more kids r gonna commit suicide!!!!!!!!

Buy Facebook Fans December 9, 2010, 7:10 PM

Very good commentary. The opposite day I used to be told approximately this website online and wanted to can help you realize that I have been gratified, going through your posts. I will probably be signing up to your weblog’s feed and can look ahead to your subsequent post.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:37 AM

Very interesting info, i’m waiting for more !!! Keep updating your website and you will have a lot o readers