Pumpkin: Fall's All-Star Fruit

Guest blogger JJ Virgin: This time of year, everything seems to transform quickly. The summer sound of kids' uninhibited laughter as they run through sprinklers gives way to the sound of school bells; leaves turn from lush green to beautiful shades of orange, red and yellow; entire aisles in grocery stores have been taken over by sugar-laden Halloween candy ... and pumpkins are everywhere!

pumpkin
As soon as the sun sets on Labor Day, the country's obsession with all things pumpkin begins. They're stacked in front of grocery stores, displayed on almost every doorstep, nearly every specialty coffee drink or dessert is pumpkin-flavored and children begin to ask about picking up a few pumpkins to carve.

Though most infamous for its use in belt-bursting pies and breads, pumpkin is actually an incredibly healthful gourd. Pumpkin meat is high in carotenoids, which work to neutralize free radicals -- those pesky molecules that can attack cell membranes and leave them susceptible to damage. Specifically, pumpkin is high in the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which hunt down free radicals that are present in the lens of the eye, preventing macular degeneration and the formation of cataracts. Pumpkins also contain a host of other nutrients, such as zinc, fiber and iron.

Here are two fun, healthful pumpkin recipes for your family to enjoy!

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are not only yummy, they're very high in protein (one ounce of seeds provides about seven grams of protein). They also contain iron, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese and zinc, and their oil is high in phytosterols, a plant-based fatty acid that is so similar to cholesterol that it can replace it in our bodies, thereby reducing blood-cholesterol levels.

Method: Rinse seeds under cool water, picking out the pulp. Place the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet that's been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the seeds with either salt or cinnamon, and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.

Baked Pumpkin
Method: Split a pumpkin-pie pumpkin vertically, and scoop out all the seeds and pulp. Pour half an inch of warm water into an oven-safe pan and invert the pumpkin halves in the water. Put the pan into a preheated 400-degree oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Using a spoon, scrape the fleshy inside of the pumpkin away from the rind. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over each portion.

Celebrity nutrition and fitness expert JJ Virgin is the author of "Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy" and the costar of TLC's "Freaky Eaters" reality series. Visit her at www.jjvirgin.com to grab her free audio, "7 Steps to Break Your 'Freaky' Food Habits Fast & Forever!"

next: CPSC Warning: STOP Using Sleep Positioners!
PhilM April 2, 2011, 1:37 PM

Your writing is good and gives food for thought. I really hope that I’ll get more time and energy to go through your content. Regards.

Solarpowerforhome April 2, 2011, 6:36 PM

Your site theme looks awesome. What theme did you utilize?

Wm Fasick April 2, 2011, 10:21 PM

DKEY, a pointer to six

erotik video izle April 3, 2011, 3:17 PM

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Life Plus international April 3, 2011, 10:48 PM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

Purchase a home in Boise April 4, 2011, 12:09 AM

Great goods from you, man. I’ve bear in mind your stuff prior to and you are simply too great. I really like what you have bought right here, certainly like what you are stating and the best way through which you are saying it. You’re making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. This is really a great web site.

Hur pratar man med killar April 4, 2011, 3:41 AM

Respect to post author, some wonderful selective information .

Laverne Hellriegel April 4, 2011, 1:22 PM

sixty nine; then two

roof repair Philadelphia April 4, 2011, 5:27 PM

I love the site layout ! How did you make it!? It’s really nice!

vax för håret April 4, 2011, 8:00 PM

Absolutely indited content material , appreciate it for entropy.

HomeSolarPanels April 4, 2011, 8:40 PM

Your current publishing is wonderful and gives food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more moments to read your posts. Regards. I hope that you publish new texts and invite for you to greet me

victorian jewellery April 5, 2011, 12:46 AM

Extraordinary this put up is totaly unrelated to what I was looking google for, however it used to be listed at the first page. I guess your doing one thing right if Google likes you adequate to place you on the first web page of a non related search.

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 8:10 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

Yohimbine April 5, 2011, 8:19 AM

Moin! Sie betreiben hier einen großartigen Weblog! Mich erfreut speziell das Layout sowie die Farben! Weiterhin alles Gute! Ach ja: Unter Umständen kannst Du auch ein mal auf meiner Website über Yohimbine sowie Yohimbe reinschauen? Yohimbin maximiert den Abbau von Körperfett und zählt zu den stärksten Fatburner Kapseln! Bye bye, Simone H. Deutscher

PHP and cURL April 5, 2011, 3:19 PM

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Very helpful info particularly the closing phase :) I maintain such information much. I used to be seeking this particular info for a very long. Thank you and best of luck.

st lucia all inclusive resorts April 5, 2011, 9:05 PM

Thank you for the work you have put into this post, it helps clear up some questions I had.

cleaning April 5, 2011, 9:09 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

BMW news April 5, 2011, 9:39 PM

With all the doggone snow we have gotten lately I am stuck indoors, fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

Herta Husky April 6, 2011, 8:55 AM

You are a very clever individual!

life plus products April 6, 2011, 4:06 PM

Thank you, Im looking to find all the facts I can about travel before going on my 1 Year trip across the US states