Rehab 101

Cara Gardenswartz, Ph.D: People who can afford to get the best of care are in and out of jail, rehab and hospitals again and again. Familiar tabloid names include Lindsay, Paris and Britney.
Lindsay Lohan
Rather than asking, "What's wrong with them?", perhaps a better question is, "What's wrong with the system?"

When celebrities are caught with illegal substances or display other addictive or illegal behaviors, they may have to go to jail and/or rehab, but typically their sentences are cut short. Lindsay Lohan's most recent rehab stint, for example, was cut in half. As it stands, rehab is often treated like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card. But the irony is, true freedom occurs as a result of rehabilitation. Until these young adults (or anyone, for that matter) have intensive treatment that includes more than a two-week trip to rehab, they will not get better.

Research has shown that abstinence-based treatment (e.g., never having a drink again) is the most effective type of treatment for people with severe substance abuse or addiction problems. Here's what "real" treatment entails: After a period of detox (typically three to five days in which the addict is monitored for seizures or other withdrawal reactions), he or she stays in a rehab facility for a minimum of thirty days. (A sixty-day stay is ideal -- it's been shown to be significantly more effective -- but many can't afford it.) While in rehab, clients learn tools for coping with their daily lives without using drugs. A typical day includes two psychotherapy groups, a psycho-educational group, an individual therapy appointment, a coping-skills lesson, meditation and a 12-step meeting. Following rehab, a program of "90 [12-step] meetings in 90 days" is the rule for continued sobriety.

Getting sober isn't easy. That's why people relapse and typically have to reenter rehab. But for those who choose it, reentry may be the beginning of a successful journey. Their willingness to reenter rehab means that they learned enough skills the first time to know that, with another turn, they could triumph.

Before my patients enter rehab, I let them know that, on average, a person requires two stints in rehab before they can get -- and stay -- sober. (I tell them this in order to limit any unrealistic expectations they may have.) And then I tell them to work their butts off to be the exception.

So: When addicts' lawyers and family members try to get them out of rehab quickly, they are doing them a disservice. Why not allow your child or client to get better, so they can live a healthier life? And I'm not just talking about Paris and Lindsay here. This advice is for every addict who is LUCKY enough to afford great care.

next: Dangerous Jungle Gyms
gulf shores vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 6:22 PM

Take care and happy travels!- Mark

mexico beach florida vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 7:01 PM

The campus however is open everyday from 8am 6pm.

buy second hand car michigan Ann Arbor January 9, 2011, 2:27 AM

Daniel, yea I can see what you did there. I really appreciated that part, however hehe I’m not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me loopy stories back within the day and calls me a loser. I guess it’s time I move out of my parents’ basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad suppose xD” Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good source like this.

dating questions January 12, 2011, 5:46 AM

I was questioning in the event you would be considering changing into a visitor poster on my weblog? and in trade you would put a hyperlink the publish? Please let me know whenever you get an opportunity and I’ll ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t much good source like this.

dating tips for men January 12, 2011, 5:46 AM

Have you ever ever thought of including just a little bit extra than simply your ideas? I imply, what you say is essential and everything. But its obtained no punch, no pop! Possibly in the event you added a pic or two, a video? You could have such a more powerful weblog when you let people SEE what youre talking about instead of simply studying it. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

first date ideas January 12, 2011, 8:13 AM

Fantastic post! This could assist a lot of individuals find out about this matter. Do you need to incorporate video clips together with these? It may undoubtedly help out. Your motive was spot on and owing to you; I most likely won’t have to explain every little thing to my pals. I can simply direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

ExtraFactory January 12, 2011, 10:22 AM

Extraordinary this put up is totaly unrelated to what I used to be searching google for, but it surely was listed on the first page. I suppose your doing something proper if Google likes you enough to position you at the first web page of a non comparable search.

preschool worksheets January 13, 2011, 2:11 AM

There are certainly a whole lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a great level to bring up. I supply the ideas above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you carry up the place a very powerful thing shall be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around issues like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

credit card generator January 14, 2011, 1:57 AM

I used to be questioning what’s up with that bizarre gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I’m not looking my finest at that hour, however I hope I do not appear to be this! I might however make that face if I’m requested to do one hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

اغاني January 14, 2011, 2:36 AM

I believe that is an enchanting element, it made me suppose a bit. Thank you for sparking my thinking cap. Now and again I am getting such a lot in a rut that I just really feel like a record.

credit card numbers January 14, 2011, 3:27 AM

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he truly bought me lunch as a result of I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there aren’t much good supply like this.

classic auto trader January 14, 2011, 6:11 AM

Pkw Versicherung January 14, 2011, 11:19 AM

Sämtliches neues Jahr sollen sich anspruchsvolle KFZhalter über kleine und immense Defekte betrüben, die ohne eine gute KFZ Versicherung nicht bezahlbar wären.

Generico-Nolvadex January 18, 2011, 2:26 AM

You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs

QROPS January 20, 2011, 6:25 AM

I believe that is a fascinating aspect, it made me assume a bit. Thanks for sparking my pondering cap. Now and again I get such a lot in a rut that I simply really feel like a record.

Fewo Rügen January 22, 2011, 1:54 AM

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any method you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

sim so dep January 28, 2011, 1:23 PM

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on that. And he really purchased me lunch as a result of I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

Handyverträge January 31, 2011, 12:41 PM

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get something done.

cruise vacation February 9, 2011, 2:13 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I feel youve bought something good here. But what should you added a couple links to a web page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you would give us one thing to take a look at, one thing that may connect what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good source like this.

Mississauga Condominiums February 9, 2011, 11:23 AM

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain good points in features also.