Signs That You Are Getting Older

Guest blogger Blythe Newsome: There are times when I realize that 40 is definitely not the new 20. Now, by no means do I see myself as an old maid, nor do I hear the Grim Reaper calling my name. But I have to confess that there are some parts of getting older that make me want to yell, "Can somebody please get me some Prozac, because I think this is making me depressed!"

balloon
The good news is that those thoughts are usually very brief, since my memory seems to be going. Yesterday, one of the kids was disrespectful to me, and it took five tries to call her by the right name. By the time I finally got it out, all of the kids at the table were so confused, each thinking that he or she was the one in trouble.

My aunt says that she uses a book with brain games in it to keep her mind sharp. That would be a great idea, except that my 20/20 vision seems to be a thing of the past, too. Over the last year, I have noticed that when I look at my phone to see who's calling, I am holding it further and further away. I finally caved in and bought a pair of drugstore glasses. I had no idea how blurry things had been until I put them on and was amazed by how easy it was to see everything! Then I made the mistake of glancing in the mirror when I had them on -- and got a clear glimpse of my body for the first time in years. This morning, those glasses wereconveniently under my right rear tire when Ibacked out of the driveway.

Speaking of phones, if you have a teenager, you probably know that in order to communicate now, you have to learn the art of texting. I mean, seriously: What do all of those abbreviations mean?! My daughter sends messages that always end with "Ily". It used to baffle me. Then one day I asked if that was her code for me, so she wouldn't be embarrassed in front of her friends that she was texting her mom. She laughed and said it meant "I love you".

Since I can't see what I am texting, I asked my daughter to text something for me. In doing so, she changed the settings on my phone, so that whenever I start to type in a word, the phone tries to outsmart me and guess the word all on its own. It's like being married to a man who tries to finish my sentences ... and gets them wrong. I start to type in "t-h-a," and it pulls up "they, there, that," when all I wanted to say was "Thanks". Even my phone is being impatient because I am older and slower. Why can't it just let me type in a word at my own pace?

Another undeniable truth about getting older is that my metabolism has begun to slow down. Why is it that we can't retire from our jobs until we are in our mid-60s, but our metabolism can retire before it has even put in a good 40 years? I have earned the right to sit on the couch and eat a pint of ice cream without it going directly to my thighs. But who am I kidding? I can't eat ice cream, anyway: The older I get, the more I swear I am becoming lactose intolerant.The other day, I went to lick the dripping ice cream off of my Finn's ice-cream cone and had a mental discussion with myself to not eat too much or I would be bloated all night. When did I become my grandmother?

I still dream of being a clothing size in the single digits. But the older I get, the more I realize that even though I could (slowly) lose some weight, my body seems to have lost all of its elasticity. Suddenly, gravity has taken a firm grip, and everything on my body is being pulled south. I would get some kind of a lift, but I don't seem to be able to convince my health-insurance company that all of the things that are sagging could be a fall hazard.

The older I get, the less sleep I need, too.I look at my teenagers and wonder: Did I ever sleep that much?Every morning, like clockwork, my body wakes up before sunrise; by afternoon, I am dreaming about taking a little snooze. I actually fell asleep the other night at 7:45 PM and drooled --only to wake up at 9:00 PM and feel rested and ready for the day ....

Whoever gave the advice to "grow old gracefully" must havebeen in their 20s. But there is a beautiful part of aging, one that I wish I could teach my children: learning to embrace where you are in life right now, and learning to laugh out loud -- even if it is at yourself. That makes all the saggy, blurry, lactose-intolerant parts of life worth living.

next: 9/11/01: The Day I Became a Mother
adellesalv September 14, 2010, 11:47 AM

number century understanding attributable

Good Speech Ideas For Kids November 25, 2010, 1:24 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 5:30 PM

I really like your site. Very helpful, finally a decent website with good information in it.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:24 PM

Couldnt have said it better my self!

marbella rentals December 10, 2010, 5:51 AM

Fine site. Great post, have a nice day!

life insurance india December 17, 2010, 12:51 PM

stumbpled upon your blog via Yahoo answers, a really good post, thanks.

Wedding Program Order Of Ceremony December 17, 2010, 11:13 PM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

Brandon Spanbauer December 23, 2010, 1:01 PM

Nice website. Very helpful, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

dieta personalizata January 3, 2011, 9:45 PM

I have beeing trying to find the WWW for this info and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Thank you

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 6:00 PM

Women in general are not seeking to drop massive levels of pounds typically. A lot of the people using phen375 are simply looking to shed 5 to be able to Twenty-five weight normally as well as usually the stomach fat. The majority are healthy, visit the fitness center sort folks. They just have not been able to shed the fat on their own stomach or even have reached any Plato. Abdominal fat problems typically commence to take place for girls at about the time associated with or perhaps right after giving birth and later on inside age before menopausal. It seems like going to females whilst right now there hormone levels are changing; it’s a standard means of existence or is that? I will show you that the real body fat stored in the actual stomach or perhaps abdomen location differs and also the more you’ve from it the particular whores your hormonal disproportion can be.

Brian Laing January 7, 2011, 12:58 PM

Excellent info. Thank you, very well written article.

phen375 reviews January 8, 2011, 6:08 AM

Ladies generally usually are not trying to drop substantial levels of fat typically. The majority of the women and men using phen375 are just seeking to shed A few to 25 weight normally and normally the stomach fat. The majority are healthful, navigate to the fitness center sort individuals. They just haven’t been in a position to lose fat deposits on their stomach or reach any Plato. Abdominal fat concerns normally start to take place for women at about the time regarding or even right after child birth as well as later inside age pre and post being menopausal. It seems hitting ladies whilst there hormone levels are usually transforming; it’s a normal means of life or is this? I am going to explain to you how the genuine excess fat kept in the tummy or perhaps abdomen location differs and the a lot more you’ve of it the particular whores your own junk imbalance will become.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 3:59 PM

Great post! Enjoyable and fun reading. I just have a small opinion to make about shirts.

de slabit January 11, 2011, 7:43 PM

I was beeing after the Internet for this info and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – 10x

cosmelan białystok  January 19, 2011, 6:12 AM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

test iq January 19, 2011, 8:38 PM

I was been scouring the google for such info and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 6:16 PM

Hey I had to tell you, I really liked this site and the ideas from everyone who join in. I find it to be very intriguing and well thought out. Thanks once more for sharing this online.

Arturo Hanauer January 27, 2011, 1:29 AM

Very useful website. Very helpful, great share.

Kenneth Evancho February 6, 2011, 7:13 AM

Keep working ,fantastic job!

zespół na wesele February 19, 2011, 2:14 AM

Interesting and usefull for me, i’m agree with this.