Sixth-Grade Male Cheerleader's Arm Broken by Bullies

Eleven-year-old Tyler Wilson, the boy cheerleader whose arm was allegedly broken by football-team bullies, said today on "Good Morning America" that his schoolmates are now threatening to break his other arm because he told on them!

Protect your children from bullies with this advice from Ross Ellis, founder and chief executive officer of Love Our Children USA, the national nonprofit leader on child violence prevention:

Make Sure Kindness Starts at Home:"The reality is, any kid can become a bully or be victimized themselves, so it's crucial to take preventive measures now," says Ellis. "Bullying is a learned behavior. So when kids see you criticize others -- 'Can you believe what Jill was wearing?' -- they mimic your actions out in the world. What's more, insecurity usually triggers a bully's behavior. So raising confident and empathetic children will have a two-fold effect: Not only will your kids have positive self-esteem, but they'll also be more likely to stand up for other kids who are being harassed."

Develop a Buddy System:"It's a fact that bullies rarely strike groups; they just don't have the guts," says Ellis. "If your child is being harassed, make sure he or she walks around school with a friend, or is within earshot of a teacher."

Teach Your Child to Take Appropriate Action:Tell your kids that if someone does start bullying them, they should look the bully in the eye and say, "I don't like your teasing. Stop it right now." Then they should walk away and report the incident. Teach your kids not to hit back if the bully persists. "Bullies want a reaction, so if the victim reciprocates, the problem will worsen," says Ellis.

Take Action Yourself:"As tempting as it may be to sit down with the troublemaker's parents, don't," says Ellis. "Most parents are defensive toward criticism of their child, or are in denial there's even a problem." A better idea? Go to the school directly and record every incident of harassment. Ask your school to develop an anti-bullying program, then form a watchdog group with other parents.

According to Ellis, preventing your child from being bullied will be mostly your responsibility, because most schools are not taking the issue seriously enough.

Has your child ever been bullied? If so, how did you handle it? Comment below.

next: Meet America's Cheapest Family!
remote computer repair April 1, 2011, 12:04 AM

I savor, lead to I discovered exactly what I used to be looking for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

program tv April 1, 2011, 1:53 AM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

wpolscemamymocneseo April 1, 2011, 4:25 AM

Great information once again! Thanks a lot:)

scrapebox tutorial April 1, 2011, 5:16 AM

Good stuff

kubota tractors April 1, 2011, 2:02 PM

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

hemorrhoids April 1, 2011, 5:59 PM

outstanding post! great advice, will take on board!

Sandy Elton April 1, 2011, 11:59 PM

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & assist other customers like its aided me. Good job.

Yohimbine HCL Stack April 2, 2011, 7:27 AM

Hi! Sie hosten hier einen wunderbaren Weblog! Mir gefällt speziell das Design sowie die Colour! Viel Spaß bei zukünftigen Arbeiten! Achja: Möglicherweise magst Du auch ein mal auf meiner Seite rund um Yohimbine HCL + Yohimbe reinschauen? Yohimbin HCL erhöht den Fettabbau und gehört zu den stärksten Fatburner Tabletten! Beste Grüße, Angelike R. Deutscher

Motocross Graphic Kits April 2, 2011, 7:34 AM

Thanks for the article! After some of searching, this was the most hlpful artcle. I appreciate the time you took to write it. thnks! Bill

BUSINESS JET CHARTER April 2, 2011, 11:20 AM

An interesting post there mate . Cheers for that !

stream direct April 2, 2011, 11:34 PM

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favourite reason seemed to be at the web the easiest thing to have in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while other people consider issues that they plainly do not realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly defined out the entire thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:37 AM

Very interesting info, i am waiting for more !!! Keep updating your website and you will have a lot o readers

Purchase a Boise Home April 3, 2011, 9:19 PM

hello!,I really like your writing very much! percentage we keep in touch extra about your article on AOL? I need an expert in this space to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to peer you.

ResidentialSolarPanels April 4, 2011, 3:54 AM

Someone I work with visits your site regularly and advised it in my experience to see too. The writing style is great and the content is top-notch. Thanks for the insight you supply the readers!

rankpay promo code April 4, 2011, 11:50 AM

Great post.

Nelda Reinard April 4, 2011, 1:29 PM

with two hundred and

Solar Panels For Home April 4, 2011, 8:39 PM

Thankyou a lot for writing this!

Silver earrings uk April 4, 2011, 11:30 PM

Bizarre this publish is totaly unrelated to what I used to be looking google for, nevertheless it was once listed at the first page. I assume your doing one thing proper if Google likes you sufficient to position you at the first page of a non similar search.

I enjoy your writing style really loving this website .

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 11:20 AM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!