Sleeping through Divorce

Divorce Detox: Sleep is one of our most precious resources during divorce. It's vital to our health and well-being. During sleep, the body renews its energy, releases growth hormones and heals. Yet during divorce -- a time of extreme stress -- sleep is one of the first things to become irregular.

woman sleeping
There are two types of disruptions: excessive sleeping and lack of sleep. It is not uncommon to experience both of them in the same period of time -- and even alternate between not being able to sleep and sleeping what seems like all the time.

Everyone's body reacts to stress in different ways, so it is not unusual to experience sleep disturbances during the transition of separation or divorce. Once you become aware that you are having sleeping irregularities, it is important that you get help and don't let the problem get progressively worse: Chronic insomnia contributes to injury and illness and may have adverse effects on cognitive functioning, interpersonal relationships, concentration, the ability to handle stress and productivity.

Sleeping It Off
One of the ways our body takes care of itself is by sleeping. Some feel guilty or ashamed about sleeping more than usual during divorce, but there's really nothing to be ashamed about. Sleep is an important way for the body to recover from stress and repair itself. Trust that your body knows what it's doing! It has many systems that function perfectly and automatically. Take breathing, for instance: Your body naturally breathes without you having to think about it, just as it circulates blood.Feeling tired is an indication that your body needs to rest.

Yes, sleep can be an escape from facing life's challenges; if you are not receiving help, do so. But at the same time, be gentle with yourself. Be grateful that your body knows how to recover -- even if it might be taking a little more time than you would like. A trip to see your internist or another medical professional is highly recommended, as well. The effects of extreme stress can cause other health challenges, so take good care of yourself.

Not Enough Sleep
Insomnia -- lack of adequate sleep characterized by having difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep -- is common during separation and divorce. Worrisome thoughts may wake us up or prevent a deep, peaceful sleep. Here are some things that may help you relax so you can get some shuteye:

• Take a hot bath or shower before bed.
  • In the evening, drink chamomile tea, warm milk, hot water with lemon or Natural Calm Anti-Stress Drink.
  • Schedule your bedtime: Go to bed at the same time every night.
  • Use a sleep machine or listen to a soothing CD. (We recommend Brookstone's "Tranquil Moments Sleep Sound Therapy".)
  • Keep a gratitude journal. Each night before you turn out the light, jot down a few things that you are grateful for. (Even in times of extreme stress, we can be grateful for our breath, the sun, a warm cup of tea .... Focusing on gratitude before bed shifts your mind to a loving state. It's easier to drift to sleep coming from a place of gratitude than from a place of fear and worry.)
  • Set a "bedtime intention." State the positive outcome you wish to receive each night, without using the words "no" or "don't". For example: "My bedtime intention is to release all stress and tension in my mind and body. I intend to sleep peacefully throughout the night and wake up in the morning after eight hours of sleep feeling revived, refreshed, renewed and thankful for a new day."
  • Keep a sleep journal and record your sleep rituals and patterns. After a short time, you may be able to identify specific things that worsen your insomnia.
  • Limit your caffeine during the day; avoid it at night.
  • Avoid napping if you find that you are waking up in the middle of the night.
  • Limit or avoid alcohol. (At first, alcohol may make you drowsy; later on, though, it might wake you up by activating a burst of norepinephrine.)
  • Exercise daily in the morning or afternoon. You'll experience many benefits, including better sleep. (Keep in mind, however, that exercising in the evening could make it harder for you to fall asleep or stay asleep.)
Wakey, Wakey!
Waking up in the middle of the night is double trouble. First, worrisome thoughts rouse you; then there's the added stress of knowing how the lack of sleep will negatively affect you the next day. A tiered approach can often get you back to sleep:

Step 1: Upon waking up in the middle of the night, try to calm yourself back to sleep by keeping the light off and staying in bed. Pay attention to your breathing and take long, deep breaths. If you don't fall back to sleep, move on to ...

Step 2: Listen to relaxing music or a hypnosis CD. Once you find one you like and get used to it, you may grow accustomed to falling back asleep in just a few minutes. If that doesn't work, move on to ...

Step 3: Read a book in bed -- one that typically either makes you drowsy or engages your mind to the point where there's no room for worrisome thoughts. Once your mind is tired, you will fall asleep.

next: I Live with a Teenage Drama KING!
Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 5:23 PM

Very helpful reading. Great post, very useful indeed…

Fog Lights For Scion Xb December 9, 2010, 8:35 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

apartments marbella December 10, 2010, 5:39 AM

Fine site. Very helpful, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Famous Appetizers In The Philippines December 15, 2010, 2:05 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Guinea Pigs For Sale In Kansas City December 18, 2010, 12:16 AM

Trisha December 21, 2010, 8:58 AM

Very pleasing to read post! Will be eagerly waiting for the second good part.

HsvsRsvsesv December 22, 2010, 1:54 AM
Candy Lawrence December 31, 2010, 6:46 PM

Thanks for the great post! I will be sure to subscribe to your updates from now on.

de slabit January 3, 2011, 2:49 PM

I was been after the WWW for such info and i wanted to thank u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Regards

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 9:26 AM

Can I simply say what a aid to find somebody who really knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how one can carry a problem to light and make it important. More folks have to learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant imagine youre no more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Annette January 13, 2011, 12:35 PM

Regards for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info .

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 January 15, 2011, 12:13 AM

Hello there! Good stuff, do inform us when you post something like this! Thank you.

blonde brown hair colors January 15, 2011, 12:35 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

Kitchen Window Treatments January 15, 2011, 9:09 PM

Cool, I love the theme of your webpage and I’m going to do the same type of layout thing for mine. Do you have any other tips? Please PM ME on yahoo @ francisLovesYou

Tameka January 18, 2011, 8:11 AM

its great as your other posts : D, thanks for putting up.

iq test January 19, 2011, 6:01 PM

I was beeing scouring the google for this info and just wanted to thank you for this post. By the way, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Mary Hull February 1, 2011, 12:39 AM

I’ve realised a great deal from reading this write-up and I hope that I can catch up on other such posts quickly.

Fairy Chamers February 6, 2011, 4:13 AM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a large thanks - you cleared up some things for me!

Roger Slye February 6, 2011, 8:33 AM

Wow! Thank you! I continually needed to write on my website something like that. Can I take a fragment of your post to my website?

Cheap Conveyancing Solicitors February 15, 2011, 11:45 AM

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!