Snooki of 'Jersey Shore' Battled Eating Disorder

Reality star Snooki of "Jersey Shore" fame tells OK! Magazine she suffered from bulimia and anorexia when she was growing up in Poughkeepsie, New York.

Snooki
"I almost died,"Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi toldThe Insiderearlier this year."In high school, I really wouldn't eat.I would only have lunch, and I would only have salads. It got so crazy that I would only eat a cracker or a cucumber a day and I would feel full. I would go into the nurse's office every day and I would weigh myself. When [the school nurse] realized that I hit 80 pounds, she was like, 'This isn't good.'"

The nurse notified Snooki's parents. "My parents told me, 'You need to eat; this is very dangerous,'"saysSnooki."So I gained my weight back to like 98, where I always was."

As many as 10 million females suffer from eating disorders in the U.S., and more than half of teenage girls use unhealthy weight-control behaviors, according to the National Eating Disorders Association. Because of the secretiveness and shame associated with anorexia and bulimia, the conditions often go undetected and untreated.

The Top 5 Signs of Anorexia or Bulimia
1) Extreme food restriction.The teen undergoes a drastic change in her eating habits. For instance, she is only willing to accept really small portions -- and then pushes them around the plate instead of eating them.

2)Perception of her body or parts of her body as extremely large when that is not the case.This may result in a change in clothing style. For example, a daughter who has lost a lot of weight is now wearing baggy clothing.

3)Disappearance of food from the refrigerator or pantry.Bingers usually binge in secret, so keep an eye out for pantries or fridges that have been emptied of their contents, as well as large amounts of empty food wrappers either in the garbage or stashed in some out-of-the-way place.

4)Excessive, compulsive exercise.An obsession with exercising -- for instance, doing it several times a day, or to the point of complete exhaustion -- is another warning sign.

5)Extreme weight loss or marked fluctuations in weight.Dramatic weight loss can be a sign of anorexia, but it is important to remember that not all eating disorders result in weight loss. Many bulimics are normal weight, and they can even be overweight. That doesn't make their eating-disordered behavior any less dangerous.

Other Things to Watch Out For
  • Frequent trips to the bathroom after meals.
  • Increased discussion about needing to burn off calories.
  • The use of laxatives or diet pills. (If you find any evidence of this, confront your child immediately.)
The earlier an eating disorder is diagnosed and treated, the more likely it is that the patient will recover completely. However, according to Walden Behavioral Care, one of the country's leading programs for treating eating disorders, prolonged bouts with bulimia and anorexia that go untreated can result in osteoporosis, retarded growth, kidney problems, ulcers, heart failure and even death.

What Moms Can Do about Eating Disorders
According to the National Eating Disorder Association, parents can help prevent eating disorders from developing by practicing healthy body-image attitudes and having sensible eating habits for children to emulate. Educate yourself and your children about both the dangers associated with risky dieting and the importance of eating balanced meals consisting of a variety of foods. Encourage exercise, and do not avoid activities such as swimming because of insecurities about wearing a bathing suit. Instilling healthy self-esteem in a child may be one of the most effective ways to stop him or her from practicing dangerous body-changing behaviors.

If you suspect that your son or daughter may have an eating disorder, the Harris Center at Massachusetts General Hospital suggests that you first meet with a referred therapist without your child to discuss how to best approach him/her. Once you talk to your son or daughter, express your love and tell him or her that you alone are concerned. This way, your child will not feel ganged up on by loved ones.

If the child becomes angry or denies having a problem, remain calm. Remind your child that a parent worries, and that you only want to help him/her receive the support he/she deserves. You may have to talk to your child several times before he or she agrees to get help -- even if the child knows that he/she is suffering from an eating disorder. Some children need space before discussing a treatment plan. Others feel more comfortable knowing their parents have already made arrangements for help. Work with a therapist experienced in eating disorders to help your child get the proper treatment.

To read more about eating disorders,click here.

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'Live Close to Your Ex'
Pharme701 October 8, 2010, 5:04 PM

Hello! dbddkbg interesting dbddkbg site!

Car Paint Touch Up Pen November 24, 2010, 11:53 PM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:23 PM

I dont know what to say. This is definitely one of the better blogs Ive read. Youre so insightful, have so much real stuff to bring to the table. I hope that more people read this and get what I got from it: chills. Great job and great blog. I cant wait to read more, keep em comin!

Self Esteem Programs For Girls December 10, 2010, 10:46 PM

Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.

Unique Gift Wrapping Ideas For Birthdays December 17, 2010, 11:36 PM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

danish diet December 27, 2010, 5:17 AM

I have beeing searching the Web for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Regards

gry erotyczne December 28, 2010, 7:33 PM

Oh good… nice man! I love i very much

Rita Waldon December 29, 2010, 3:19 AM

Thanks for the awesome page. I love reading it!

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 9:08 PM

Women generally usually are not looking to lose massive numbers of pounds typically. Most of the women and men using phen375 are just seeking to lose Five to Twenty-five pounds normally and also normally it’s stomach fat. The majority are healthy, navigate to the fitness center type individuals. They only haven’t been able to lose body fat on the tummy or perhaps reach any Plato. Belly fat issues normally start to occur for ladies around the time associated with or after child birth as well as later in age group pre and post being menopausal. It seems hitting women although there hormone levels are changing; it’s an ordinary means of existence or perhaps is it? My goal is to demonstrate that the actual body fat stored in the actual belly or perhaps belly region differs from the others and also the much more you’ve than it the actual whores the junk discrepancy can be.

kissimmee florida vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 2:18 PM

I am from the San Francisco area and my girlfriend who had a knee operation and I are thinking Carmel or Mendicino. We are thinking mid April 2009. My girlfriend likes jacuzzis in the room. She likes to shop but also likes a good Manhatten and Seafood. We dont want to spend a fortune. I like Pinot and we have been to Elk in Mendocino and did enjoy Anderson Valley.

Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 12, 2011, 5:02 AM

I’m pretty sure this article is the best.

Jailbreak iPhone January 13, 2011, 8:02 AM

You are a very clever person!

light brown hair color ideas January 15, 2011, 2:51 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 5:56 PM

Could you PM me and give me a few more facts about this, I am really fan of your site! just subscribed to your rss. Would you be be open to swapping site roll Thanks once more for putting this online. I unquestionably loved every bit of it.

asymmetrical hearing loss February 27, 2011, 2:14 AM

There is visibly a bunch to realize about this. I consider you made various good points in features also.

Forum maman March 5, 2011, 6:16 PM

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit analysis on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with more details? It is extremely helpful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog publish!

Zack Dzinski March 15, 2011, 7:58 PM

Looking around the web, I found your site. I am scouting for various ideas for a design for my own website. I like the design, did you produce or change this layout? I have a web site also and my template seems to be kinda awful so people do not visit on my site very long.

Tresa Stauffer March 16, 2011, 12:19 PM

I’d have to allow with you here. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

Stephen Hafter March 16, 2011, 2:17 PM

titanic chart you’ve include

dofollowdigg March 29, 2011, 1:16 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.