Out with the beachbags and in with the backpacks! School is in session, and there's no doubt that the flood of papers, art projects, flyers (you need HOW many cupcakes by WHEN?!) is now flowing freely through your front door. If you're like most parents, you're probably looking for a little relief -- and some space where your kiddo can get that homework done. Well, momlogic has gathered a few tips for you that will get you and your star student off to an organized good start for a successful school year!

stack of books

Dedicated Work Space
This sounds like a no-brainer, but if you have a space that is reserved just for homework, it takes the everyday distractions -- such as TV and video games -- out of the equation. It sends a message to your child that homework time is just for that -- getting the job done.

Supplies
Pencils, pens, crayons, rulers, calculators and more ... the list of supplies one student needs is endless. So, why not keep it all in one place? This assures there is no rummaging (or excuses) when that math assignment hits. Get one plastic bin, put all the supplies your child needs into it and pull it out at the start of each study session. We suggest including an egg timer in your list of supplies. (It helps a student keep track of how long they've been working.)

Magnetic Magic
If you don't have room for a corkboard, pick up some magnetic paint from your local hardware store. Apply it to any surface (our fave is on the inside of a cabinet door), and you've got a convenient place to post important memos and "A" papers! Plus, it cuts down on front -of-the-fridge clutter.

Filing Makes Perfect
A folder for every subject works for older children, who are inundated with information and looming long-term projects. If you have younger school children, you might want to invest in a portfolio (which can be purchased at any art store) for paintings and collages. You can also make one yourself by buying a large piece of poster board, folding it in half and sealing the side edges, leaving the top open. And if you're just flooded with art, you can always send
some to relatives, who will really appreciate it. Worksheets and all other papers should be put into an "in-box" when they come home for the day, and you can sit together and go through them to make sure nothing important gets tossed.

Moms, we want to hear from you! How do you keep your child's work station organized?

next: Take Charge of Your Home Court
Suzanne Saxe-Roux September 8, 2010, 11:31 AM

My daughter just started middle school— bigbackpak. One thing that helps is separate set of pens, math tools, rulers, etc. so she doesn’t have to bring it home!

Maureen September 8, 2010, 11:57 AM

I also have my kids EACH keep their own separate “tools” box so there is no fighting when the pencils, pens, scissors, are needed. I have them put their “tool kits” in their own name-labeled drawer on our dining room table, so it is always available when sitting down to do homework. I keep a drawer for myself their too, with tools just in case they “can’t find” theirs. These “tricks” really help them to be prepared for homework, and they cut down on they delays they could create by fighting with each other over who a particular pencil (or pen, etc.) belongs to. Many meltdowns have been avoided with these ideas.

downlaod full movies September 11, 2010, 9:09 PM

Hi buddy, your blog’s model is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog content are superb. Please hold them coming. Greets!!!

Derek O. Moser March 25, 2011, 6:58 AM

Thanks

Jonathan E. Jernigan March 29, 2011, 6:39 PM

Florence R. Wright March 31, 2011, 4:20 AM

Practical

erotizm April 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

Ronnie O. Boone April 5, 2011, 2:32 PM

Hi all, - stumbled upon your current web site unintentionally when roaming around the web this morning, and pleased that i did! I like the design and colorings, but I should point out that I’m having issues when it loads. I’m using WaMCom 1.3 web browser for mac, and the side panel will not lineup nicely. i am fairly certain I’ve employed the exact same layout on a customer’s web site, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I have an idea the error is with my outdated browser and maybe it is time to swap!

Jeanne E. Lewis April 7, 2011, 3:16 AM

Hi all, - came across this web site unintentionally when drifting round the internet this afternoon, and happy that I did! I do like the style and design and colorings, but I should say that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m making use of Classilla 9 web browser for mac, and the menu bit doesn’t lineup fully. i am convinced used an identical layout on a customer’s web site, but the menu seems O.k on mine. I think the error is with my outdated browser & I suppose it’s the perfect time to change for a better one!